Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 12:24pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place I work at now has a "graduation" every 3 months which is $50. Black belt tests are $500. Adopt that style? You'll probably be labeled a sellout, but I'm sure if someone pays $500 for a test, they're damn well gonna show up to that test.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 12:27pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that at that point you are going to get people who will simply be unable to justify the cost of testing. I bet there are a lot of people that take their martial arts very seriously that simply could not afford that fee.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 1:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggajosh80 View Post
    No disrespect Omega, but what are you and your students doing for 20 hours over 2 days? That sounds quite long.

I realize I have no experience in kung fu, but in bjj it seems to me the test is about a 5-10 minute roll with the instructor or against a student who's a known quantity with an instructor watching
    Just saw this. Our last SAMBO test was 8 hours and that was for "Blue" belt.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 1:39pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinKiK View Post
    The place I work at now has a "graduation" every 3 months which is $50. Black belt tests are $500. Adopt that style? You'll probably be labeled a sellout, but I'm sure if someone pays $500 for a test, they're damn well gonna show up to that test.
    No, nothing close to that, I just know what it cost to actually test certain ranks, so I'm going that route from now on.

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 5:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't we just put this here video up?

I can certainly see the value in the way you test. In fact if I lived in SB I would certainly have my whole family attend yoru school. Perhaps after I get my CCIE I can afford to make the move lol.

I can see the test as being a bit daunting for some. It certainly seems to go above and beyond what I have seen as "normal" even in good alive arts. Once again not a critique or criticism I think there is a **** load of merit to tough test and the sense of accomplishment and quality control that go with them.

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 5:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh just out of curiosity how much would testing fees normally run someone and how easy would it typically be to get them to be waived if someone simply didn't have the money but is otherwise pretty dedicated?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 8:57pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only test I ever had to take was for my Judo yellow belt. It's a USJA rank, so basically I just had to demonstrate for my coach the couple throws/escapes/etc that the USJA yellow belt test required. It took 15 minutes. We don't do tests in jits. No offense to those who are into that sort of thing, but I'm definitely not. I'm not particularly interested in the idea of a test that's a whole lot more involved than my judo one. Certainly I'm good on an 8 hour test, lmao

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 10:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    The only test I ever had to take was for my Judo yellow belt. It's a USJA rank, so basically I just had to demonstrate for my coach the couple throws/escapes/etc that the USJA yellow belt test required. It took 15 minutes. We don't do tests in jits. No offense to those who are into that sort of thing, but I'm definitely not. I'm not particularly interested in the idea of a test that's a whole lot more involved than my judo one. Certainly I'm good on an 8 hour test, lmao
    Not sure if a new thread should be started or not but this does segway nicely into should test be more standardised?
    I know a lot of BJJ schools really don't test at all. I also know that at least locally their is a lot of **** talking going on right now about people who get promoted not deserving their promotions. In particular who is and should be a "black belt". I in large part hear the criticism directed towards GJJ affiliate black belts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 2:11pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marcelo Alonso told me years ago "different belts for different people". You can't directly compare everyone to each other. There are belts for competitor, belts for fighters, belts for the surgeon who can't train as often and has a heightened importance on avoidance of injuries (at least in that I can do my job with an injured hand, while a heart surgeon might not). Since then I try not to pay too much attention to who has what rank, as long as it came from a legitimate source, who am I to question the criteria their coach has judged them by? That's my take on it anyway. We have a group that's small enough in size that it's not too difficult for my coach to track people's progress. Occasionally he'll ask me or other color belts what they're thoughts are on giving someone a particular promotion. It always falls to his decision though.

When it comes to Judo, I don't mind the testing. Because we're USJA it's a standardized test, so everyone basically has to meet the same requirements for a given rank. Those requirements are presumably agreed upon by people who know a heck of a lot more than I do about the art, so I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. ALTHOUGH, I do not like the Japanese language part of the curriculum, as I have no desire to learn Japanese. I want to learn to Judo. I suppose I can understand that they want to preserve the history of the art or whatever, but I have no real interest in that personally.

One other thing is that in randori I tend to favor certain throws/combinations. Then on test day I have to demo throws a and b, and I'm like... crap... I'm not particularly great at either of those... I mean, I did them, and doing them with a compliant partner isn't a problem, but I'm much better at pulling off other throws in randori. I might prefer a more flexible approach where someone must demonstrate a given number of throws of their choice, so long as they are not just doing the same throws every test. But, tbh, as a yellow belt, it could be that this does happen as your rank progresses...???

But keep it short. And forget about testing me on pushups. I want a test to reflect my technical knowledge and ability. Not how much bullshit I'm willing to go through to prove my mental toughness or whatever.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 2:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    I want a test to reflect my technical knowledge and ability. Not how much bullshit I'm willing to go through to prove my mental toughness or whatever.
    I agree with the sentiment, however for your consideration think about this aspect.
    Being able to do the technical while physically and mentally broken down is quite a bit different than just being able to do them.

An alive art should mean being able to do your techniques while under serious derress. IE not enough sleep, not feeling well, after a long job, what ever. It does you know good to learn self defense if it only works when your at your optimal.

Same thing applies if you're just learning for the sport. You shouldn't bow out of a tournament just because you're not at your best.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast