Administrator

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 6:23pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Could it be something to do with the test process itself rather than the cost or lack of?
    I've been teaching for 24 years now. Tests have always been the way they are. It could be a factor I just doubt it.

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 9:40am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    As for the adults, just give rank according to performance in training. Less work and much fairer.
    One of the reasons for testing is to put the student into a pressure situation. Same with tournaments. People who avoid either situation are missing out an important part of their training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 12:24pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    I'm not going to speak for Omega's testing regime, but I can say that there is (or should be) far more to a belt test than a mere recognition of skill, pomp and/or ceremony.
    IMO maybe for some tests, but not all, or even most. We did had an large challenge for our black belt tests in kenpo, but most of the others were essentially going over the material and seeing if you knew it.

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 12:46pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    IMO maybe for some tests, but not all, or even most. We did had an large challenge for our black belt tests in kenpo, but most of the others were essentially going over the material and seeing if you knew it.
    One of the advantages of kendo is that it's easy to set up a test where you demonstrate that you can execute the material against another candidate for the same rank. This is tough for non-weapons stuff because size differences enter into it. But every test I've taken, the main thing is to show you can walk the walk against another guy same level.

I think this is way better than the demo the curriculum tests that are standard in judo.
    Last edited by NeilG; 11/14/2013 12:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 5:14pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was teaching out of a fitness facility, I charged half of what I charge now. I now teach out of warehouse located in the back of a friend's business with much worse facilities for my students. I have more students now than I did when I charged less.

There is something psychologically that happens when you attach a monetary value to something. As another poster said, if you charge nothing for it people start to belive it is worth nothing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 5:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not going to speak for Omega's testing regime, but I can say that there is (or should be) far more to a belt test than a mere recognition of skill, pomp and/or ceremony.

My last test affected me in a deep psycghological/spiritual way that has taken me weeks to recover from (and not just because of the cracked ribs i received during). As well as providing me the opportunity to showcase what I have learned, it pushed me beyond the limits of my abilities and conditioning and highlighted what I need to work on and how far I have to go.

And no, didn't have to pay for it but gladly would have contributed.
    My blackbelt tests take over 8 hours to get through. My longest to date was 20 hours over 2 days. You should ask Coffeefan what happened with his belt test.

My last test affected me in a deep psycghological/spiritual way that has taken me weeks to recover from (and not just because of the cracked ribs i received during). As well as providing me the opportunity to showcase what I have learned, it pushed me beyond the limits of my abilities and conditioning and highlighted what I need to work on and how far I have to go.

And no, didn't have to pay for it but gladly would have contributed.
    My blackbelt tests take over 8 hours to get through. My longest to date was 20 hours over 2 days. You should ask Coffeefan what happened with his belt test.

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    My longest to date was roughly 15 minutes of floor time. Clearly there is a difference in testing philosophy here...

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 9:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My blackbelt tests take over 8 hours to get through. My longest to date was 20 hours over 2 days. You should ask Coffeefan what happened with his belt tes

No disrespect Omega, but what are you and your students doing for 20 hours over 2 days? That sounds quite long.

I realize I have no experience in kung fu, but in bjj it seems to me the test is about a 5-10 minute roll with the instructor or against a student who's a known quantity with an instructor watching

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 10:26pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I might have to, the links to the vids don't seem to work anymore:
    Congratulations Coffeefan and Sirc:

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    My longest to date was roughly 15 minutes of floor time. Clearly there is a difference in testing philosophy here...
    Wow. My last was shorter (though more intense) than my old 6-8 hour JJJ gradings and was still 2.5hrs of mat time.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 11:34pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. My last was shorter (though more intense) than my old 6-8 hour JJJ gradings and was still 2.5hrs of mat time.
    The fundamental components of the test are the same up to and including 7 dan, although of course the level expected grows. Free sparring for about 2 minutes each with 2 other candidates, plus a kata demonstration that takes 5 or 10 minutes. At 8 dan in Japan they have a two-tier system, so if you make the first cut you have to do 2 more sparring rounds with other people who also made the first cut.

Cool documentary about the Japanese 8 dan test below. Pass rate is under 1%, considered tougher than any other exam in Japan including professional certification ones (CA and the like).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast