Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: I am intrigued.

  1. #21
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,415
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    This conspiracy is even more ridiculous than the one where the Bush administration blew up the World Trade Center so they could invade Iraq. The public loves conspiracies: the Kennedy assassination, global warming is a hoax, AIDS, etc. because they're easier for some people to accept than the reality that bad things happen in ways beyond our control. Then there are also paranoid kooks that think monsters are hiding under their beds.
    I've got news for you. We've now bred at least two younger generations on so much Internet content that they're likely to believe Internet content, regardless of source, rather than their own common sense.

    The Internet more than anything else allows the most fringe, ludicrous theories to become viral multimedia propaganda campaigns that reach impressionable mobs (i.e. those millions of people, young and old, who have not learned to think critically for themselves and prefer to be spoon fed their ideas).

    I think the underlying problem is a mental health one. Too many people are already living in delusional worldviews. How many of these ridiculous themes have you heard lately?

    - "ALL the mass shootings were faked and are government conspiracies to take away gun", (but the US still has about 90 guns per 100 citizens. The runner up? Yemen, with 55/100)

    - "There is NO WAY jumbo jets filled with kerosene or naptha could cause a 100+ level skyscraper to collapse." (even though I watched it on live TV)

    - "That wasn't a plane that hit the Pentagon, it was a missile!" (even though a large number of people died in the crash and there were multiple eyewitnesses who actually watched the plane crash).

    - "Obama is a Marxist/Socialist/Communist Dictator from Kenya who hates America!" (even though it's easy to prove he's actually a Democratic, Constitutionally-elected President from Hawaii with an 8 year term limit who likes America so much he ran for public office)

    - "FEMA is rounding up the homeless in camps!!" (even though we all know FEMA is barely budgeted to handle current and pending disasters)

    The Internet (and to some extent, I blame "X-Files" fans) created generations of people who decided they would never trust the government or media no matter what.

    The problem with this "Trust No One" thing is that it doesn't make you a critically thinking skeptic or my favorite..."informed"...it makes you paranoid delusional.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/31/2013 10:54am at .

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    So a poor sod can make a shack in a tree if he collects enough driftwood, nails and other material and will not be bothered? :-) (troll)
    Unless its my sarcasm meter that's a bit off today.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I've got news for you. We've now bred at least two younger generations on so much Internet content that they're likely to believe Internet content, regardless of source, rather than their own common sense.

    The Internet more than anything else allows the most fringe, ludicrous theories to become viral multimedia propaganda campaigns that reach impressionable mobs (i.e. those millions of people, young and old, who have not learned to think critically for themselves and prefer to be spoon fed their ideas).

    I think the underlying problem is a mental health one.[/SIZE][/U]
    The internet is special for its potential to dupe so many people so quickly. Tho in fairness, a lot of people in my generation believed everything they saw on tv, and its just a short step from there to believing everything on the net.

    A theory called the "mean world syndrome" proposes that the violent content of mass media makes people believe that the world is more dangerous than it actually is.
    It makes sense that those who get to tell the stories to a society govern their beliefs and behavior, and where it used to be parents, churches, schools, its now mass media --- which is more interested in selling stuff than imparting useful information. The net is the latest and greatest form of mass media.

    Personally, I can understand how some people may be duped by the grand government conspiracies, since they're so hard to disprove, and they make life simpler. People don't have to think so much to explain the world. Its the hoaxes that are easy to disprove but still persist that I find interesting -- like the one about a missile hitting the Pentagon, or Obama not being born in the U.S. I suspect those are driven more by pre-existing bias of different kinds which is reinforced on a group level, made easier by the internet.

  4. #24
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,415
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rabbit's Law of Internet Entropy:

    As the internet expands, the average value of a byte of information approaches zero.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    534
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for your input.

    What this site really helped me with is paying more attention to facts and I'm very grateful for it.

    I still get nervous about some stuff sometimes to the point of asking, even though 99% feeling something is very wrong and a claim a vague hypothesis based on rumors and speculation.

    Still let me repeat a question once more since I think I missed something.

    The law against homeless in some cities is genuine and new - is that a fact or conspiracy hypothesis (I mean I gathered that some similar laws are already in practice for years if I'm not mistaking)? What happens to a homeless person who gets caught in a no- no- zone?
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 12/31/2013 3:44pm at .

  6. #26
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,415
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    The law against homeless in some cities is genuine and new - is that a fact or conspiracy hypothesis (I mean I gathered that some similar laws are already in practice for years if I'm not mistaking)? What happens to a homeless person who gets caught in a no- no- zone?
    They are escorted outside the jurisdiction.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    I still get nervous about some stuff sometimes to the point of asking, even though 99% feeling something is very wrong and a claim a vague hypothesis based on rumors and speculation.

    Still let me repeat a question once more since I think I missed something.

    The law against homeless in some cities is genuine and new - is that a fact or conspiracy hypothesis (I mean I gathered that some similar laws are already in practice for years if I'm not mistaking)? What happens to a homeless person who gets caught in a no- no- zone?
    Planning on camping in the U.S.? Better to avoid the park benches.

  8. #28
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,237
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    The law against homeless in some cities is genuine and new - is that a fact or conspiracy hypothesis (I mean I gathered that some similar laws are already in practice for years if I'm not mistaking)?
    It's misinformation. The law cited in the article is new. But "anti vagrancy" laws have a long and storied history. They were often much harsher in their treatment of vagrants in the past than the law in this article is.

    http://www.encyclopedia.com/article-...ancy-laws.html

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    534
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for clearing this up.

    Ok Cap, I'll sleep in the sewers. Not too many flushed alligators I hope? :-)
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 12/31/2013 5:33pm at .

  10. #30
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,772
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Rabbit's Law of Internet Entropy:

    As the internet expands, the average value of a byte of information approaches zero.
    Damn. That's good. Did you actually coin that one, or is it borrowed?
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO