223580 Bullies, 4054 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 1:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Did your teacher actually say that there were two distinct impacts involved? If so, I agree that this is a ridiculous way to punch. One the other hand, if the idea is just to promote deeper penetration and its meant to be one impact, then its a good idea demonstrated in a bad way.

This reminds me of something I've seen people try to do on a heavy bag, where they strike with a punch and then continue moving in the same motion with a forearm/elbow strike. Looks good on paper, but the forearm strike ends up weak and overextended because your feet are in the wrong range and there's little hip/shoulder rotation behind it.
    Mmmm.....It's been a long time. I don't know if he specificially said there were two distinct impacts. But really, that's the implication with this type of punch. When you get down to the mechanics you're talking about twisting your fist after you've already made contact. There's no good reason for that.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. Twisting your fist at any point during the punch doesn't increase the mass of your body and it doesn't increase the speed of your punch. Therefore, it doesn't increase the force of the punch. Period.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 2:08pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have moved this out of the advanced striking area. Not because the discussion doesn't belong there but a lot of you guys who have absolutely no idea about advanced striking are commenting on it so I decided to let the peanut gallery have at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 3:41pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you guys notice "the shrug" at 4 minutes in?? Are we seriously questioning this guy's knowledge? DID YOU SEE THE POWER IN HIS SHOULDER!!???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 4:13pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My shitty TKD/Bad kickboxing opinion: if you are relying on your arm to generate the power in a punch, you are fucking up. Punching power comes from legs, hips, shoulders, and the fist flying out there is the physics that results from all of that torquing power in the body. Read Jack Dempsey (spelling?). I suppose the twist of the fist could recruit a little bit of muscle or fascia in your arm, but I imagine the strange tensing would mess up your power more than help it along.

Bas Rutten basically says "forget turning your fist". While this may mean his style of punching doesn't automatically lift the shoulder in defense like a boxing style punch, it doesn't lack power. Bas supposedly hits like a truck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 4:25pm

Style: SEKKJBA, MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    But its hard to compare punching power among different arts, unless you look only at psi, and find some way to account for differences in the size and age of the fighters. The straight punch you describe may have the best overall risk/benefit combination, but the conventional MA wisdom I've always heard is that a straight punch should be thrown with shoulders down for max power.

I'm not really sure which art has the strongest punch, tho we can probably agree that its not the Chun.
    I would say a fair way would be to compare PSI(the Force exerted) among a strong enough sample size to account from the Low end of Size to the High end and among comparable experience.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa View Post
    Did you guys notice "the shrug" at 4 minutes in?? Are we seriously questioning this guy's knowledge? DID YOU SEE THE POWER IN HIS SHOULDER!!???
    Unfortunately, the punching segment was his most credible. Also, it doesn't help that his ukes go down faster than an Obamacare website.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 7:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I have moved this out of the advanced striking area. Not because the discussion doesn't belong there but a lot of you guys who have absolutely no idea about advanced striking are commenting on it so I decided to let the peanut gallery have at it.
    Would you care to give your perspective as an advanced striker?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 9:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would not discount it as bullshit just because it comes from a bullshit dojo.
    There are a lot of bullshit-like techniques that comes from bullshit schools, but when applied by someone who actually knows what they are doing, works really well.

I know a kung fu sifu (same kung fu sifu that kicked the crap out of a euro san da champ) who has a lot of advice like this, and I can't implement it. But he sure can. And he generates incredible amount of power. Not to say this technique isn't BS, but don't discount it that simply.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12