Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

True Balance Martial Arts

Hey everyone.

I am just here looking to find out if anyone knows anything about this school? The school is named True Balance Martial Arts with the website of truebalancemartialsarts dot com. (I can't post a link).

I am looking to start a martial art, but it has to be effective, as well. I'm not looking to be the baddest dude in the world, but better flexibility, shape, and health would be nice. Also, I would like to enroll my 7 year old daughter, as well.

Any thoughts on this TKD school? The Grand Master is Ho Yung Chung (10th dan), and he appears legit.

When I spoke with an instructor at the school, Ho Yung Chung comes in every 3 months for belt tests that the school does not get. It pays for his time/travel.

Thoughts?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc77 View Post
    Any thoughts on this TKD school? The Grand Master is Ho Yung Chung (10th dan), and he appears legit
    Welcome to Bullshido. This sounds like a typical TKD school. TKD is a great sport and you will develop flexibility and get into shape; the effective part may elude you.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doc77,

Welcome to the site.

Link for subject business

http://www.truebalancemartialarts.com/#/splash-page/

Looks like their TKD program is with the WTF.

Also offered are aikido, iaido and tai chi.

If you're looking for a good workout and dad/daughter activity, TKD may fit your needs. As to the effectiveness, depends on your commitment and how you train. TKD isn't known for it's aliveness against a fully resisting opponent, no punches to the head and in many ways has become a game of tag due to it's point sparring rule set. Having said that, there are some good dojangs out there.

Would you consider judo? Granted, it's a martial sport, but effective and practiced in an alive manner. Both of my daughters have enjoyed it. The older much more than her TKD training.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 11/11/2013 11:21pm at .

Style
    Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD will be great to start with, if later on you would like to get better skilled you can cross it with something a bit more effective. Maybe boxing or muai thay, or a grappling art like judo. For your daughter it is great (also judo is better).
    If you guys spar full contact (kinda) , which means you get punched and kicked than its great. If you hardly get punched in the face or kicked than you are not working hard enough nor effectively.

Style
    Kickboxing, MT, Sub-wrest
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Doc77,
    As to the effectiveness, depends on your commitment and how you train. TKD isn't known for it's aliveness against a fully resisting opponent, no punches to the head and in many ways has become a game of tag due to it's point sparring rule set. Having said that, there are some good dojangs out there.
    Indeed it does really depend on a few factors but mainly how it's taught in the gym. The TKD dojang I trained at was pretty good for sparring. It wasn't the best of gyms and was clearly a Mc.Dojo but I can't take away the fact that the sparring was (compared to most of the horror stories I hear about the style) fairly alive.

It did depend on the teacher but the ones that taught us frequently would do away with all the "Point" part in the sparring and we just went for 3 minute rounds of full contact (minus punches to the head) sparring. None of that whole "Land a clean hit, stop, bow point goes to such and such, start again" least that's how it was when I started there. Though it started to go more in the way of that so I skedaddled. Shame really.

Wasn't the best when compared to the likes of kickboxing and muay thai but for TKD it was pretty good and I still use some of the techniques in sparring.

Anyway, my advice would be to try it out, most gyms allow a free trial lesson. Though sometimes it can take a few weeks to get a good idea of the place. Try it out, if it's not for you find somewhere else.