Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Crescent kicks are useful for opening a freezer door when you've got an ice cube tray of water in each hand.
    I've used them well on pickup truck doors, though usually I use a back hook kick. I practice these things, like crappler, for decades. And like TheMighty I use them mostly as a warm up stretching exercise. It is handy to impress young ladies; waiting for a tenant I was doing alternate crescents over a chair and she came in and said, "I'm 25 and I can't do that." Well dear, they don't give away black belts, we learn all sorts of impractical odd techniques.

The only fighting application I use (other than kicking the gun or knife hand!!) is using this (or a hook or something inbetween) to attack the knee. Not smashing the knee and breaking one's foot, but hitting behind to unbalance. I saw this done really well by a little bb who was getting beat bad and have been trying it ever since.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    The only fighting application I use (other than kicking the gun or knife hand!!) is using this (or a hook or something inbetween) to attack the knee. Not smashing the knee and breaking one's foot, but hitting behind to unbalance. I saw this done really well by a little bb who was getting beat bad and have been trying it ever since.
    Low crescents to the legs are used in FMA and are called "sipa" which is basically Filipino hackey sack. They are used as you describe here and to check low as you step forward (the way chunners are always doing. I'm not really a fan of them though. If I wanted to attack the back of the knee I'd prefer a heel hack or reap from the clinch, or a thrusting kick from behind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 4:53pm

Style: uechi ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would also advise against taking "real" meaning of karate movements too seriously. Some are genuine, most are BS.

That said, for crescent kick:

- crescent kick (in karate and kungfu) is designed to kick the opponent WHILE YOU ARE HOLDING HIM. This is the main reason karate (kata) use them, as they are created to fight while grappling with the opponent. You cannot use roundkick while holding the opponent by the arm.

- another reason is that crescent kick, unlike roundkick, doesn't break the 'root', something that is very dear to Chinese and Okinawan fighting arts.

- sometimes, the inside crescent kick is used as a training movement for leg sweeping throws (for example in Chinese wrestling).

- the old capoeira used crescent kicks probably also because they wanted to keep the 'root', although they didn't call it that for sure. But crescent kick movement can be easily changed into squat and other evasive maneuvers,unlike the roundkick. Also, old capoeira used footsweeps heavily;person doing a roundkick, having less 'root', falls much harder when swept than somebody doing a crescent kick.

So the above are the main reasons you'd ever want to use crescent kick in combat:

-you want to kick the opponent while holding him
    -you want to maintain the 'root' while kicking
    -you want to use it to sweep the legs while wrestling

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 6:59pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, that is the first time I have ever heard of a kick you are to use while holding an opponent, but whatever...
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Se-Jong TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can do an inner crescent kick to set up the same leg for a side kick. Once your kicking foot reaches the center line, you rotate your plant foot 180 degrees then chamber and throw the side kick (don't complete the crescent kick all the way to the ground before you throw the side kick).

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 10:59pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    well, that is the first time I have ever heard of a kick you are to use while holding an opponent, but whatever...
    Indeed. What could possibly go wrong?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2014 5:36am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Indeed. What could possibly go wrong?
    I know I always lift my leg as high as possible when someone gets in my grappling range.

Posted On:
    1/05/2014 4:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had people actually try to clinch 'n' crescent me at work.

I keep thinking I can hear them exclaim: "Here. Have a kneebar. It's on the house."

Very obliging of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 6:44pm

Style: uechi ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Well, my friend, the question is whether that says something about the information, or about your own knowledge.

I am not interested in debating whether that technique is practical or not; I just state that the crescent kicks were (designed to be) used that way.

Here are some examples:

Tatsuo Shimabuku,founder of Isshinryu karate:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o4Y8Stjjp9...ry__Tatsuo.jpg

Using reverse crescent kick in Southern Mantis kungfu (about halfway down the page):
    http://wulin.proboards.com/index.cgi...rint&thread=59

That is only the tip of iceberg as the discussion was about crescent kicks. But really, in karate kata and southern kungfu styles, majority of front and side kicks are done while grabbing the opponent.

Of course, you are free to ignore that and swing your legs in the air freely.
    The same goes for the other gentlemen who are evidently too clever to learn anything new.
    Last edited by DMC; 1/06/2014 6:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2014 5:05am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    Well, my friend, the question is whether that says something about the information, or about your own knowledge.

I am not interested in debating whether that technique is practical or not; I just state that the crescent kicks were (designed to be) used that way.

Here are some examples:

Tatsuo Shimabuku,founder of Isshinryu karate:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-o4Y8Stjjp9...ry__Tatsuo.jpg

Using reverse crescent kick in Southern Mantis kungfu (about halfway down the page):
    http://wulin.proboards.com/index.cgi...rint&thread=59

That is only the tip of iceberg as the discussion was about crescent kicks. But really, in karate kata and southern kungfu styles, majority of front and side kicks are done while grabbing the opponent.

Of course, you are free to ignore that and swing your legs in the air freely.
    The same goes for the other gentlemen who are evidently too clever to learn anything new.
    If that is the tip of the iceberg, feel free to continue (as that is the whole point of this thread). You may be right (though the Shimabuku picture looks nothing like any crescent kick I have trained in my few years of TKD) I am just incredulous about the usefulness in a grappling situation vs (for instance) dirty boxing, knees, elbows, and more generally "grappling" type technique. Though in a "make some room and kick the bad guy in the face" situation that most of your linked pictures portray I can see the usefulness.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast