pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    ****, I knew I'd seen that somewhere!

But seriously, crescent kicks are sign language for "something badass, but only to 8 year olds". The god of the crescent kick is Ultraman and its holy book is Gymkata. Crescent kicks are the kind of kick your ponytail whispers in your ear to throw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 9:42pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The standard kick most knockdown guys I knew in Japan throw for mawashi-geri is halfway between a crescent and what I learned as a roundhouse in America. You strike with your tibia, and if you find your tibialis anterior making contact with the target, you've over-pronated. I'd lean toward calling it a crescent, and it's great for throwing a fast strike to your opponent's leg or ribs without the commitment and adjustment of balance a roundhouse requires.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    I can't tell if this is epic-level crescent kick trolling or an attempt to be legit:
    Looks like a couple of guys who just wanted to become famous on You Tube. I sure hope nobody sees this and actually tries it some day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 12:30am

Style: SEKKJBA, MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    For instance, during my ATA tae kwon do days, there was this stupid double up-down windshield wiper looking block that I thought was useless. My instructor showed my how it was actually an arm wrap that could be turned into a wrist lock/kimura/ude garame.
    Typically i hear of useless(or at least useless at the time) techniques where the person learns much later on what it sets up or leads into. I hate that secretiveness of some of the more traditional masters aspect of the martial arts. I can understand slowly feeding out reasons and techniques and explanations etc due to not wanting to overload the student, but far too often i see where "The Master" claims have secret techniques and training they are holding onto to keep students in the dark.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 7:06am

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_nye68 View Post
    Typically i hear of useless(or at least useless at the time) techniques where the person learns much later on what it sets up or leads into. I hate that secretiveness of some of the more traditional masters aspect of the martial arts. I can understand slowly feeding out reasons and techniques and explanations etc due to not wanting to overload the student, but far too often i see where "The Master" claims have secret techniques and training they are holding onto to keep students in the dark.
    Maybe it's just left over from my Isshinryu days, but a conversation that goes,
    "I don't think this move would work."
    "That's because it's really a hidden grappling technique."
    sets off my bullshit detector.

I started doing krotty in 1995, but I have a suspicion that such conversations were much rarer before 1993.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 7:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the outside cresent kick in Savate to push my opponents gloves to the side when they use the peek-a-boo defense. Mostly followed by a roundhouse kick to the face with my other leg.
    The inside cresent kick is forbidden in La Boxe Française.

When I did Muay Thai, the outside cresent kick was used in the same way, but most of the time followed by an inside cresent kick. Doing the inside cresent kick while moving your body forward gives you the benefit that it becomes more a "hook-teep" kick with the heel to the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 12:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    The inside cresent kick is forbidden in La Boxe Française.
    Why's that?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Why's that?
    They prefer the croissant kick.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 4:01pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_nye68 View Post
    I think, at least in the ATA TKD case, most people teaching the forms don't actually know what the movements are for. My particular instructor seems like a standout from most ATA stories I have heard in that he encouraged some pretty hard contact in sparring, was realistic about the effectiveness of the techniques, and pretty constantly told us a boxer or wrestler would kick our asses. Plus he rebuilt motorcycles and owned a pig farm. He was the type to actually bother to ask his own instructors "why the **** am I doing this?". When it came to self defense he taught us basic wrestling and mount escapes. Iowa was a good place to do TKD apparently.

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 5:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I think, at least in the ATA TKD case, most people teaching the forms don't actually know what the movements are for.
    Even if they did, practicing them by doing stylized sequences of moves against imaginary opponents isn't really how to train the techniques effectively.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast