• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 10:34pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

North south choke help

Hi everyone, I keep hearing about how great the north south choke is, but I can't for the life of me make it work! I've seen the Marcelo Garcia videos, and all the others, but I just don't understand it. I get the neck snug in my arm, I scoot my hips back, and sink down, but it still feels like I'm doing nothing. I heard I'm supposed to drop my shoulder, but I don't understand how to do it. If my hips and legs and stomach are flat on the mat and partially supporting some of my bodyweight, how am I supposed to use my weight on my shoulder? And am I supposed to be going for the windpipe or the carotids? Thank you so much in advance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 10:57pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If their chin is trapped between your lat and tricep then often you simply need to scoot away from your opponent's body. I often only use one arm to finish the choke because it's not a squeeze that finishes the choke but my entire body scooting back

Posted On:
    11/09/2013 7:40am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every choke can be a blood choke or an air choke, afaik. It just depends on how your partner positions their neck when the choke is applied. Having said that, the only choke I know that is typically an air choke is the ezekial choke.

What sets the n/s choke apart from the rest? It's in a (typically) rarely used position, it's (for me, anyway) hard/awkward to apply, and it's (again, to me) just another choke.

da mobull app
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2013 12:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    If their chin is trapped between your lat and tricep then often you simply need to scoot away from your opponent's body. I often only use one arm to finish the choke because it's not a squeeze that finishes the choke but my entire body scooting back
    I too only use the one arm method. For the record this is an advanced move. If you aren't at least a blue belt I would just not do it, just keep it in mind as you start grasping other concepts.

That being said I usually tell people to lean into the choke with the controlling shoulder while keeping your hips flat and moving into the neck in an arcing pattern. Needless to say it's better with visuals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2013 3:07am

Style: BJJ Beginner

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love this choke, the best part about it is that you can set up even as your passing guard. It's even more fun when you still get someone with it when they know it's coming.

In light of what Omega said, I learnt it in my first 3 months but didn't come back to it until 2 years later.

There are so many little details that you build on as people learn to defend it, which makes you better at it but it is not as straightforward as some other chokes.

2 things that made a huge difference to me where:

1. Keep your choking arm elbow on the ground

and

2. Maintain the squeeze on their head between your ribs and the squeezing arm

Here 3 videos with slightly different approaches but all with real important detail that builds the picture.