Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #21
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,751
    Style
    Kendo
    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Cool, my point still stands. Most of those threads have full on sarcasm, baiting and anger. No, you can draw a conclusion about a few extreme posters.
    I'd venture to say most people who post in this particular forum would be vehemently opposed to Canadian-style gun control laws, which I fully support. Anyone here like to see a full ban on automatic weapons, no carry allowed except for LEOs and extremely stringent requirements on transport and use of handguns?

    <Crickets>

    So yeah, if my views are not polar opposite they are certainly contrary to most here.

  2. #22
    adouglasmhor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glasgow, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,493
    Style
    Les Mills Bodycombat™
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    No dog in this fight but curious - what's the use of the suppressor as a recreational gun owner?
    They use them here in the UK on rifles for vermin control.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    No dog in this fight but curious - what's the use of the suppressor as a recreational gun owner?
    They use them here in the UK on rifles for vermin control.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    9,913
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because if you are shooting loud rifles at a private firing range in America. (My family has one) the neighbors hate the noise of gunshoots. A suppressor will knock down the decible level making the shooting much less intrusive. It's noise abatement.

  4. #24
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,276
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    Because if you are shooting loud rifles at a private firing range in America. (My family has one) the neighbors hate the noise of gunshoots. A suppressor will knock down the decible level making the shooting much less intrusive. It's noise abatement.
    Not to mention easier on the ol' timpanic membranes of the end user.

    Just another perfectly decent ergonomic safety feature (like heat shields and forward pistol grips) demonized because someone got scared by a movie (or television) depiction.

  5. #25
    tgace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,507
    Style
    Arnis/Kenpo hybrid
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thing is. It's not like the movies where a suppressor makes you a totally silent "death machine". Some people have seen one too many movies where "silenced" weapons just go "pffft...pfft!". It's the same thing with states that outlaw "flash suppressors"...ignorant masses pressuring ignorant politicians who pass ignorant law.

  6. #26
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    11,001
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Thing is. It's not like the movies where a suppressor makes you a totally silent "death machine". Some people have seen one too many movies where "silenced" weapons just go "pffft...pfft!". It's the same thing with states that outlaw "flash suppressors"...ignorant masses pressuring ignorant politicians who pass ignorant law.
    I've heard a "hush puppy"...(suppressed Ruger semi auto .22, subsonic ammo) fired. The action clacking was about as loud as the shot. I was told that it was possible to suppress action noise as well, but reliability was not as good, however, it would still make noise. A specialty weapon for sure...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  7. #27
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,276
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I've heard a "hush puppy"...(suppressed Ruger semi auto .22, subsonic ammo) fired. The action clacking was about as loud as the shot. I was told that it was possible to suppress action noise as well, but reliability was not as good, however, it would still make noise. A specialty weapon for sure...
    IIRC the Navy Seals developed 9mm Sig pistol modified with a "lockable" action so the slide would not move upon firing. That and a suppressor made it so the only report was from gas exiting the barrel which was further mitigated by subsonic ammo loads.

    Laymans terms; a "straight pull" single action pistol that was about as silent as these things could be made.

    Not terribly suitable for home defense but an interesting bit of firearms trivia. A similarly silent gun would be a Nagant pistol with a suppressor. But those things suck (obsolescent even in it's own time).

  8. #28
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    11,001
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    IIRC the Navy Seals developed 9mm Sig pistol modified with a "lockable" action so the slide would not move upon firing. That and a suppressor made it so the only report was from gas exiting the barrel which was further mitigated by subsonic ammo loads.

    Laymans terms; a "straight pull" single action pistol that was about as silent as these things could be made.

    Not terribly suitable for home defense but an interesting bit of firearms trivia. A similarly silent gun would be a Nagant pistol with a suppressor. But those things suck (obsolescent even in it's own time).
    I've shot CB caps in my Ruger 10/22 for back-yard squirrel suppression. Damn near silent, not any louder than a .22 cal air rifle, really, or less so depending on how powerful the air rifle is set. The action of the 10/22 wouldn't move at all with the CB caps.

    Great for those small, aggressive, invasive species dropping Hackberry "berries" all over your deck and hot tub. Bastards...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  9. #29
    tgace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,507
    Style
    Arnis/Kenpo hybrid
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A .22 or even a handgun are one thing...a rifle is another. I shoot a suppressed AR quite frequently. It's not like folks are not gonna know someone is shooting at them. Your hearing just wont get fucked up like it would without it.

    A little gun porn of my militarized ass:



    Just to show off a little. :)

  10. #30
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,276
    Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Your hearing just wont get fucked up like it would without it.
    The first time I fired 5.56 nato from a pistol was a bit of a surprise. Made my ears ring even with plugs. Fricknig thing was a winning argument for full cover ear protection!

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO