Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 12:45pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    That's funny because in the FMA that I practice seems to embrace Japanese techniques. We have everything from Judo style throws to aikido style wristlocks. We even use the belt system.
    That could because you're in Canada where almost every martial art / style / school / system that isn't centrally regulated with an iron fist (like the IBJJF, IJF, WTF, ITF, etc.) is essentially a mish-mash of whatever its founders and/or current leaders want to include in it. For example, a lot of what is referred to as "traditional Japanese jiu-jitsu" in Canada is in fact a contemporary hybrid of karate and judo at its base and then the various schools / systems add a pinch of boxing, a dash of kali, a sprinkle of wrestling, etc. In most cases, it's actually much easier to find something like this than to find a school that teaches a pure or tightly-regulated style. I suspect that this tendancy might explain why your school seems pretty open to diversifying.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    That could because you're in Canada where almost every martial art / style / school / system that isn't centrally regulated with an iron fist (like the IBJJF, IJF, WTF, ITF, etc.) is essentially a mish-mash of whatever its founders and/or current leaders want to include in it. For example, a lot of what is referred to as "traditional Japanese jiu-jitsu" in Canada is in fact a contemporary hybrid of karate and judo at its base and then the various schools / systems add a pinch of boxing, a dash of kali, a sprinkle of wrestling, etc. In most cases, it's actually much easier to find something like this than to find a school that teaches a pure or tightly-regulated style. I suspect that this tendancy might explain why your school seems pretty open to diversifying.
    He comes from Cacoy Doce Pares, which is sort of what you described- an amalgam of eskrima, judo, aikido etc, but it came about in 1950s Philippines.

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the severed head belonged to someone dedicated to spreading christianity, then the angry li'l flip has just ensured that senor tin-hat gets the to spend eternity in the honoured place of heavenly martyrs. Nice gesture, all told.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 5:47pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Spaniard,

Now, if I went to a guro to learn FMA, and be rejected due to my ancestry, or made the focus of all jokes everyday for it, I'd be mad. Other than that, I find whoever commissioned the image/logo has poor taste. Still more original than Spartan helmets, though.

There's so much hate around the world, and so seldom directed where it should be.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123