Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    AFA as holding up a Spaniard's head? Crude depiction for sure, but that's Magellan.
    Who was Portuguese.

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 4:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Who was Portuguese.
    Oh great! Next you're going to tell me they have a different language too!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    AFA as holding up a Spaniard's head? Crude depiction for sure, but that's Magellan. The guy who killed Maegllan (Lapu Lapu) is their national hero. His face is on the logo of the main school I trained with. It's not a gruesome cartoon like in the OP, but it's basically celebrating the same act of violence. If that makes you uncomfortable then maybe the FMA thing isn't for you because boy do they frickin' love Lapu Lapu.
    My issue wasn't Filipino's boner for Lapu Lapu, it was foreign students depicting the art as the deadly exotic killing art of little brown savages. The severed head seems less offensive than the guy holding it, who looks like an angry Grey alien for some reason.

So "racism", maybe? Discrimination? Not where I stand. It may be out there but I haven't experienced it. Could be a "west coast" thing. We're pretty diverse out here and most groups of people will reflect that. But I don't know.
    The West Coast FMA community has been very inclusive and cool, at least with the groups I've worked with (the Babaos, the Siongcos, Kali Method, Dog Bros and Angel's Disciples). There were some guys from Angel's Disciples that came all the way down from Stockton for my teacher's funeral, and he wasn't even one of their group.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 6:55pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have run into racism in both FMA and Capoeira. Capoeira because "too many white practitioners" were changing the base. In the early 90's there was a back to black movement. It was centred in the older "Angola" groups. I left that system due to physical infirmities so I don't know if it is the same now.

I have run into a bit of Filipino centric racism now and then. Some of the better Filipino practitioners (and some not so good) were saying that the European originated (North Americans included) instructors did not have the proper appreciation for the arts that naturally existed in Filipinos. Not terribly widespread, but there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 6:02pm

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    The biggest example of racism in FMA that I've seen is the Filipino hatred for all things Japanese.
    That's funny because in the FMA that I practice seems to embrace Japanese techniques. We have everything from Judo style throws to aikido style wristlocks. We even use the belt system.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    That's funny because in the FMA that I practice seems to embrace Japanese techniques. We have everything from Judo style throws to aikido style wristlocks. We even use the belt system.
    Are you in SGM Cacoy Canete's lineage?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 7:36pm

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Are you in SGM Cacoy Canete's lineage?
    That's correct. My instructor is his grandson, GM Chris Bautista. Is it hatred of the Japanese still common in other FMA styles?

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a standing joke to try to get the new guy at a seminar to ask GT Gaje if a technique/word/blade is Japanese and watch GT Gaje go nuts on the guy.

Of course, a lot of his generaton of Filipinos have family that were killed and/or screwed over pretty hard by the Japanese, so it's understandable.
    Last edited by FHoppy; 11/13/2013 8:48pm at . Reason: adder
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 12:00pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    It's a standing joke to try to get the new guy at a seminar to ask GT Gaje if a technique/word/blade is Japanese and watch GT Gaje go nuts on the guy.

Of course, a lot of his generaton of Filipinos have family that were killed and/or screwed over pretty hard by the Japanese, so it's understandable.
    Heh, I am of Japanese descent and I often get used as one of GTs demo dummies in seminars. At the last one I attended someone made the laughing comment "it looks like payback for WWII out there," as I was being slapped, thrown, and torqued into various uncomfortable positions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 12:24pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

(...) It was about taking a racial caricature of the Southeast Asian to embody the fierceness and legitimacy of the local fighting arts. Going on about how its the art of little brown exotic headhunters and pirates.

Today, I saw the above pic on Facebook from one of the FMA groups I'm friends with (never met IRL, they're Brazilian), and it totally reminded me of the critiques of using racial caricatures to make an art look more badass.

What do you think of this sort of thing in FMA or silat? Is the pic at the top racist?
    I think the pic is racist and inappropriate in several ways. The depiction of the Filipino is unflattering to say the least; the fact that it is not a self-depiction is what makes it most troubling. Many Filipinos would probably feel that being depicted as wanting to kill Christians and/or Europeans is also insulting. The severed head of the Christian / European could also be seen as insulting or threatening to Christians and/or people of European ancestry.

Perhaps the "wrongness" of the logo would be more obvious to some people if a Krav Maga school used the image of a stereotypical hooked-nosed Shylock holding the severed head of a Palestinian.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Not the first time I've seen MA school logos involving severed heads. Doesn't matter whether the logo is racist. Its ugly as hell, not the type of image a respectable school or instructor should identify with, and is most damaging to the members of the school that uses it.
    I strongly agree.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast