Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 2:00pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Modern Arnis Politics Heating Up

Kelly Worden has some blunt words for another "Datu" within the Modern Arnis ranks:

http://www.kellyworden.com/blog/111/

“Interview or a set up to call me a Liar?”

A few weeks ago, I was requested to do an audio interview on FMAtalk; I agreed. I was rather surprised when my junior in age, life experience, and Modern Arnis, Datu Tim Hartman was sitting in on the interview. It became evident he had nothing useful to say and said literally nothing for over an hour even when I personally addressed him; well, maybe there was a “mouse squeak” but nothing of substance.

I didn’t understand why he needed to be involved but a few days later it became evident.
    ...perhaps of some limited interest for those familiar with the MA politics involved here.

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 3:52pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find all this interesting, since my guro trained in the same club as Hartman (started some time before him, if I recall my timelines correctly).

My guro never mentioned Hartman (negatively or positively), but he did have good things to say about Worden.

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 4:07pm

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Politics in FMA?!?!?! I'm stunned.

I actually listened to this interview, I didn't really sense any animosity between the two although if I remember correctly Datu Kelly had some "interesting" ideas and viewpoints.

Also iirc one of the hosts of the podcast is a semi-regular poster on this board.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 12:13am

supporting member
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 6:54am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fight seems to center around two issues:

Worden thinking Hartman believes hes the top dog due to being the "highest tested black belt" in the art and via that implying hes the inheritor of the system after Remy's death.

Hartmans use of the Presas name in his new style without permission from the Presas family.

IMO Hartman has been collecting a bunch of "grandmasterships" by tripping to the Philippines and kissing rings or visiting an instructor for a weekend a month for a year or two.

Now I know that many if these stick arts are similar betweeen themselves and it may be easy to get high rank quickly when cross training between them but it smacks of political ladder climbing compared to a guy who sticks to claiming mastership of only one art.
    Last edited by tgace; 11/21/2013 7:02am at .

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 12:10pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Og post thoughI haven't heard the show being mentioned yet, but i do know Tim frequently joins in via cellphone sometimes he is rather absent from the conversation aside from an occasional remark too lighten the mood. I'm not defending anyone or taking sides but if Kelly has listened to the show before being a guest he shouldn't be surprised by Tims presence. As for the other stuff in question, Tim seems to give an adequate explanation in his fmatalk post, i couldn't access the like to kellys blog post though.

Why are there so much politics in FMA? Ego is usually the answer, do other MAs have the same amount?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 12:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most arts have this type of ego and politics, some are better at keeping it close to the vest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 12:40pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This type of stuff is one of the reasons why I've become disenchanted with FMA. Ego, passive aggressive butt kissing, then backbiting. Everyone trying to be their own little chief badass. It is just silly.

If they'd just throw down and show who was who dog brothers-style, this could all be settled quickly. But that is never going to happen, as a lot of guros will argue the whole too-deadly thing. Its disheartening. And sparring with WEKAF gear and rules?... Come on.

I've found my interest in FMA waning, and I'm gravitating to grappling more and more. There's just such a simple honesty in rolling with someone. You know very quickly where you stand skill wise, and you get humbled when you need it. It just seems like a healthier attitude.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 7:36am

Style: Bahad Zubu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, this was totally out of left field. Certainly no setup and these guys chatted for ten minutes off the air and again after that. Most of the info I have leads me to believe it was a misunderstanding that got a bit blown up.