Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/09/2013 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is an almost Vaudevillian aspect to many iron palm performances. Not that that's a bad thing. But it can cross the line into charlatanism very easily, imo.

This is why Dale is a good showman of real iron palm training. His humility and humor come across in what he chooses to break with it: fruit and rocks, for our pleasure.

Dale is basically a real life Fruit Ninja.

Take that, fake Iron Palm slapboxers! Smash some pineapples or GTFO!

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 4:21pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Is that Ron Jeremy on the Throne? The body hair and large belly suggest it might be...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It's old fashioned conditioning that is antiquated. No offense to Dugas at all, but many of the benefits of IP are done in boxing and MMA. If you hit the heavy bag or pads, you are doing a form of IP. If you kick the same things, you are doing a form of IP. The medicine ball drop? Same thing. Minus the Herbal formulas, there is basically a modern equivalent for most IP training.
    when i was younger i went to a friends wing chun class. i happened to have gone in on "conditioning night" which in retrospect, i think wasnt a coincidence- the guy i went with was barely a friend and was a wing chun convert whos finesse and slaps were obviously superior to the thuggish muay thai that i was into.

i ended up having to train with the instructor because of how "hard" my legs and arms were. now to be fair, this wing chun class was full of... well.... people who do wing chun, but i wasnt exactly big and tough or anything. most of them refused to believe that i only did kickboxing. fucking fairies.

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 5:25pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't mess with a man who can break coconuts. If you stood perfectly still and give him a clear shot at your head, you'd be in big trouble.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 2:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    I mean, the other more proven arts don't have to resort to such advertising tactics, that or it's less to do with how good the art is itself and more to do with trying to trick people into taking up your art for the money or national pride... That or just pure delusional...
    Then the UFC wasn't full of cherry picked opponents that helped promote BJJ in the early years? BJJ people claiming to be undefeated when there were RECORDS of them losing? Boxing hyping OBVIOUS Tomato cans? Nope, it isn't as cut and dry. I mean what you described has been used by many arts, minus may be Judo and Muay Thai. Then again, that may be why they never took off, like the other arts, in America at least.

Outright fraud bothers me, but hype nope, not at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 4:49pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    About the coconut breaking...I don't know jack about breaking in any respect, so it's fair to say my opinion is worthless...but there's something about this that's making my B.S. meter go off.

I don't know. Maybe it's just a matter of not knowing any better.
    Dale is a member here or was. He had some great posts but his iron palm stuff is legit and he has been known to call out the parlor tricks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 12:44pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Then the UFC wasn't full of cherry picked opponents that helped promote BJJ in the early years? BJJ people claiming to be undefeated when there were RECORDS of them losing? Boxing hyping OBVIOUS Tomato cans? Nope, it isn't as cut and dry. I mean what you described has been used by many arts, minus may be Judo and Muay Thai. Then again, that may be why they never took off, like the other arts, in America at least.

Outright fraud bothers me, but hype nope, not at all.
    Hype doesn't bother me, never said it did. Indeed the UFC in the early years had cheery picked fighters but for the most parts they were legitimate fighters with a good record behind them. Just a great deal of them had no knowledge of ground work or defense.

My point was more for the videos out there advertising a style versus style fighting where one of the fighters seems to have little to know knowledge of the art he (or the video) claims to be. For example in the video posted, if he's a boxer I'll eat my hat.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 2:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post

My point was more for the videos out there advertising a style versus style fighting where one of the fighters seems to have little to know knowledge of the art he (or the video) claims to be. For example in the video posted, if he's a boxer I'll eat my hat.
    No, I got your point. My point is it exists in the styles you claim don't do it. It is all about an asshole of low or questionable rank big upping his expertise.

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 3:20pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minor point.

I'm reading The Hurt Business by George Kimball & John Schulian. I mention this because of the excerpt on Primo Carnera. Now, the story is well known but nowadays somewhat overlooked. Sorry for the phrasing but you get the point. Da Preem had all the physical attributes and enormous strength. He was in the grip of The Mafia and somehow captured the World Heavyweight Title. We'll overlook his luck against Jack Sharkey.

The point here is that when he faced a 'live contender' in Max Baer, Carnera suffered some 10 knockdowns. The Mob robbed him thoroughly of course and his is a sad story.

Anyway..

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    most of them refused to believe that i only did kickboxing. fucking fairies.
    f'n lol
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast