Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: AK Questions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AK Questions

I got caught up in reading that huge thread on Ed Parker. For some reason I decided today to see if I could find any reference to Ed Parker fighting and to my surprise, besides some teenage stuff some say he did, there is no known accounts of him using his AK which is what led me to that long thread. It was also a surprise to me that Ed stole a lot of his material. I knew he worked with other masters in other arts to come up with his system -- a offshoot of what he was taught -- but I had no idea he stole it.

While reading that thread, a lot of things really stood out to me which I want to address here with questions and statements.

Questions:
    1) For those of you who (Ron I think he name was) who said 90% of the techniques that do not work, since you know so much about them, could you at least list those that you think do and which ones you think don't? And please give us at least a brief description why you think they don't work. Sure, it would take some time but Ron has expressed worry that followers could get hurt so look at it as a community service.

It seems to me there is a guy here named Clyde that has an open challenge to anybody and has beaten a lot under that challenge so something must work in the system, right?

2) Not everybody teaches the slap stuff that everybody seems to complain about. Any opinions on Rick Flower's teachings? I ask because it seems each teacher teaches different version of the same techniques and his seem really different.

Statements:
    1) For those idiots who keep asking about records and such, that is sport. Once gloves go on and rules have to be followed and a ref is there, that is invalid as a reference to a fighter's ability to defend himself or win a real fight. Things are a whole lot different when a real fist hits you verse a padded glove. Things are different when biting and anything goes is allowed. So please keep your sport stuff off my thread.

2) I see so many videos from all arts that is pure bullshit or at least, just lacking a true understanding of how to create power out of a strike. Even my own instructor didn't understand the physics behind a strike. Pretty sad because physics really isn't that difficult to understand. Note: for those who at least try to use the formula for force to understand it, even though that is the wrong formula, they are at least trying.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
    It seems to me there is a guy here named Clyde that has an open challenge to anybody and has beaten a lot under that challenge so something must work in the system, right?
    I knew a guy once who claimed his friend said a thing about some thread I won't list here cause you can totally google it yourself that proves your anecdote is false.

Statements:
    1) For those idiots who keep asking about records and such, that is sport. Once gloves go on and rules have to be followed and a ref is there, that is invalid as a reference to a fighter's ability to defend himself or win a real fight.
    Welcome to Bullshido. Bend over and take a look at your point of view very closely, I think you'll find some people may disagree with it ...I didn't realize this was in newbietown.
    Last edited by The Cap; 11/17/2013 2:46am at .

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have given up years ago training with people who claim to be able to prevail on the streets but are unable to win on the mats under any rule set. If wearing a pair of gloves and being unable to bite someone's groin completely undermines your game then your game has some rather glaring holes. In any event, good luck with your inquiry. Welcome to Bullshido. If you get a chance there are great threads where the street vs sport thing is discussed thoroughly and there is also a video on aliveness that bears viewing as well.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I decided today to see if I could find any reference to Ed Parker fighting.
    Ed Parker was not a fighter.
    It was also a surprise to me that Ed stole a lot of his material. I knew he worked with other masters in other arts to come up with his system -- a offshoot of what he was taught -- but I had no idea he stole it.
    You say stole, his followers would say he adapted it. Can you name any modern system of martial arts which has not borrowed, adapted or stolen some, if not all of their techniques?
    it seems each teacher teaches different version of the same techniques and his seem really different.
    So, would it be fair to say, that he may have adapted or modified techniques he learned?
    For those idiots who keep asking about records and such, that is sport. Once gloves go on and rules have to be followed and a ref is there, that is invalid as a reference to a fighter's ability to defend himself or win a real fight.
    This has been argued on numerous threads here.
    I see so many videos from all arts that is pure bullshit or at least, just lacking a true understanding of how to create power out of a strike. Even my own instructor didn't understand the physics behind a strike. Pretty sad
    Did you take the time to educate your instructor and show him how to make power through application of leverage and focus?
    physics really isn't that difficult to understand. Note: for those who at least try to use the formula for force to understand it, even though that is the wrong formula, they are at least trying.
    I have a thorough grasp on physics, but still have a little trouble applying it in a dynamic fight situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    ALIVE!
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh...sorry for intruding, I thought I was going to see a picture of Ed Parker with an AK-47 (which would be epic).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    You say stole, his followers would say he adapted it.

I have a thorough grasp on physics, but still have a little trouble applying it in a dynamic fight situation.
    I say stole if he had another master write it and then didn't give him credit.

You don't "apply" physics in a fight, you use your knowledge of physics to develop good striking techniques and train on those so that when you do have to defend yourself, you are a much more effective fighter.

Thank you for commenting but I'm still looking for answers to my questions.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JackJack has posted this thread in 2010: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102699
    So that's the reason for my sudden desire to find the rights system for me. I have 2.5 years to learn and 3-4 nights a week to devote to it. I sure hope it's possible to get proficient with AK enough to handle a few smaller un-trained guys.
    Just for the people that like to know the back story.

As for the sport vs. street debate I will just quote the great philosopher Jo Vale Tudo.
    "Teh streets"

Sport versus teh streets.
    I can out swim Michael Phelps,
    But in a river.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say stole if he had another master write it and then didn't give him credit.

You don't "apply" physics in a fight, you use your knowledge of physics to develop good striking techniques and train on those so that when you do have to defend yourself, you are a much more effective fighter.

Thank you for commenting but I'm still looking for answers to my questions.
    I'm not really sure what you're asking. Was Ed Parker a fighter? You mean professionally? Did he compete in tournaments?

Is there a person named Clyde that does challenges? Yes, I've worked out with the guy myself. Your question is more rhetorical than anything else.

Your questions are loaded. Why don't you start with being sincere with your questions and tell us what your ulterior motives are.

*For those who asked AK stands for American Kenpo.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    For us thickies...what's AK?

Aikido?
    American Kenpo (EPAK = Ed Parker American Kenpo)

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    aikido
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    If wearing a pair of gloves and being unable to bite someone's groin completely undermines your game then your game has some rather glaring holes.
    This is a beautiful sentence. Bravo.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last