--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

legit school and instructor?

Hello

Just after some advice on how to find out if a school, or more so an instructor is legit? Had a gut feeling about an instructor I am with. Not had a licence, no insurance etc. I have asked instructor about insurance and was told it was something only he needed to worry about, saying that they had public liability. I am pretty sure that this is not enough to run a club?

Also, I am guessing that clubs have to be affiliated to a governing body? Again, I asked which NGB the club was affiliated to, was told the WKA and FSKA, both of whom don't know who this chap is.

I have seen no evidence to support nor dismiss proof of grade and instructor status

Any advice on what to do next would be fantastic, as I appear to be going round in circles.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Your post is extremely vague- what style are you talking about? Where? Who's teaching it?

Style
    FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What country are you in? In the US pretty much anyone can teach, and most places just have you sign a waiver so you can't sue if you get hurt. As for personal insurance, your insurance policy should cover any injury. If you do get hurt I wouldn't tell the insurance company it was training martial arts.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    In the US pretty much anyone can teach, and most places just have you sign a waiver so you can't sue if you get hurt.
    Welcome to Bullshido and ^^^This^^^. One of the primary purposes of this site is to shine a light on those instructors who don't exactly do the right thing. Martial arts is NOT in any a highly-regulated industry in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably can't post links yet, but could you tell us the name of the club/instructor? We might be able to help you more if we can look up who you're talking about.