My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Or a squib from no powder charge at all. Primer pushes bullet into the bore > barrel obstruction > KABOOM!
    LOL, when I was into target shooting with muzzle-loaders the whole squib thing was interesting to say the least. At least with a muzzle-loader, you can unscrew the nipple, trickle powder in behind the ball/bullet, tamp it back down, and refire to remove the slug. I did that deer hunting once, and several times target shooting.

We were at the range and one of my boys had a squib .22 round. He made me proud by keeping the muzzle pointed downrange for 15 seconds, then re-cocked and and fired again, then waited another 15 seconds and unloaded the round.

I haven't had any handloading related accidents so far. Hopefully, never !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'all are shooting the wrong Nagants.

If the sights are any indication, mine is good out to 1200 Arshins! ;)

No, it's not as slick as a Mauser. No it's not as fast and an Enfield. No, it doesn't have the pedigree of a Styer. And no, it is of course not as developed as weapons that were produced 50 years after the Nagant's inception.

Also, No, they are not all as crude as the "round receiver" runs from WWII.

Bashing all Nagants because the Soviet WWII production was shitty is like bashing on Valmet, VEPR and Galil because WASRs are ugly.

Oh ****, here's some jack hole ringing the gong at 600 yards with iron sights.

Close enough for government work.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's something that should be of interest to you gun-lovin' Americans.
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...174930639.html
    I wonder how much it will go for ?
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 11:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Y'all are shooting the wrong Nagants.

If the sights are any indication, mine is good out to 1200 Arshins! ;)

No, it's not as slick as a Mauser. No it's not as fast and an Enfield. No, it doesn't have the pedigree of a Styer. And no, it is of course not as developed as weapons that were produced 50 years after the Nagant's inception.

Also, No, they are not all as crude as the "round receiver" runs from WWII.

Bashing all Nagants because the Soviet WWII production was shitty is like bashing on Valmet, VEPR and Galil because WASRs are ugly.

Oh ****, here's some jack hole ringing the gong at 600 yards with iron sights.

Close enough for government work.

A good enough shooter will make virtually any rifle perform the task he needs it to perform. That doesn't mean it isn't a shitty rifle. Just like how a good guitarist will make decent music with a ten dollar guitar. It's still a fucking ten dollar guitar though.

Also, you nugget lovers want to hold up the best examples of the rifle you can find as proof that it isn't shitty. But it is. If you're going to compare the best versions of the Nagant to other rifles, compare it to the best versions of those other rifles as well. Compare it to a VZ24 or an 09 Argentine. It's not even close.

There's a reason the Mauser is the most copied action in the world. There's a reason people are still taking old military Mausers and spending $10Gs to turn them into fancy hunting rifles. Where are all the awesome Nagants that people think are worthy of $2K worth of engraving? I'm not seeing them. Because Nagants are turds. You'll get more bang for your buck for a Mauser at $250 than for a Nagant at $90.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Here's something that should be of interest to you gun-lovin' Americans.
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...174930639.html
    I wonder how much it will go for ?
    It didn't sell. The highest bid was $220K. Didn't meet the reserve.

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 1:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you nugget lovers want to hold up the best examples of the rifle you can find as proof that it isn't shitty.
    That video I posted was of a plain jane, nuttin' special "round receiver" 91/30 performing as well as your vaunted Mauser.

The "best Mosin's ever made" would probably be the Finish "sneaks" from the 60's and they were world class target rifles.

In my experience shooting a Tikka, Sako or Valmet of any type feels like cheating, that includes their Mosin variants and I'm not some "expert marksman" who can run any platform.

There's a reason the Mauser is the most copied action in the world.
    Yeah, it's the smoothest and has great ergos. But even in it's day it wasn't "the best". In terms of gun fighting that plum goes to the Enfield which boasted the fastest action and higher capacity.

I'm not sure why you're nut-riding the Mauser so hard. It's not like they're "perfect". Hell, they haven't even carried a single war! The armies that fielded them lost two big ones in a row. One of those losses was against starved, beat down conscripts armed with Mosins.

Think about that for a second...

There's a reason people are still taking old military Mausers and spending $10Gs to turn them into fancy hunting rifles.
    What's that you said about "cherry picking the best examples"?

Yeah, that reason is Fudds have more money than sense and most of them are just plain ignorant of any guns beyond what they're grandfather shot with. They're refurbishing Mausers out of sentimentality, not any actual "superiority".

The "reason" is stupidity.

The fact is, you can spend one tenth of that money and buy a modern bolt action that smokes anything from the Mauser's day in terms of performance.

I don't care how much money someone spends on bubbafying a war relic. Their stupidity has no bearing on the functionality of the guns. They can spend a ton of money reduce the actual value of a rare museum piece with historical value to less than ****.

That is hardly an endorsement.

Where are all the awesome Nagants that people think are worthy of $2K worth of engraving? I'm not seeing them. Because Nagants are turds.
    Nagants are for shooting in rough conditions. They are fine just the way they are. Their rough character tells a story in every scar and arsenal stamp. You can look at the markings and see a history of 20th century warfare. All trail of conflict and revolutions spanning several different countries and even opposing sides sometimes. My Finn B-Barrel saw service for Russia, Finland and Germany and had in it's lifetime been fired in anger against all those countries as well. That's a fucking battle rifle!

All that is lost when you "sporterise" something. If I want a sporter I buy a modern one made specifically for the task.

I've seen a gilded bed pan and it was still a **** pot. I could really care less about some stupid Bubba's vanity piece.

You'll get more bang for your buck for a Mauser at $250 than for a Nagant at $90.
    Bullshit. I'd posit that a $250 Finn (What I payed for that B-Barrel Sako) beats a $250 Mauser for value any day of the week. Not to mention, quality 7.62x54r is cheaper and easier to come by than 8mm.

Further more, you shouldn't have to invest "$10,000" dollars into a gun to make it a shooter. Dafuq is that? All you've presented is that a Mauser is 10k shy of being a world class gun.

Sorry Devil, the Nazis lost and ugly "**** guns" carried the day. AFA "quality accurate bolt guns go" I'd drop $250 on a Savage and never look back before I drop $250 on a Mauser ($250 buys **** in Mausers),
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 11/19/2013 1:39pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 1:49pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It didn't sell. The highest bid was $220K. Didn't meet the reserve.
    Not surprised, did you see that auctioneer rubbing his boogerpickers all over it? What kind of auctioneer handles a relic like that without gloves on? It offends my gun collecting OCD mind.

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That video I posted was of a plain jane, nuttin' special "round receiver" 91/30 performing as well as your vaunted Mauser.

The "best Mosin's ever made" would probably be the Finish "sneaks" from the 60's and they were world class target rifles.

In my experience shooting a Tikka, Sako or Valmet of any type feels like cheating, that includes their Mosin variants and I'm not some "expert marksman" who can run any platform.

Yeah, it's the smoothest and has great ergos. But even in it's day it wasn't "the best". In terms of gun fighting that plum goes to the Enfield which boasted the fastest action and higher capacity.

I'm not sure why you're nut-riding the Mauser so hard. It's not like they're "perfect". Hell, they haven't even carried a single war! The armies that fielded them lost two big ones in a row. One of those losses was against starved, beat down conscripts armed with Mosins.

Think about that for a second...

What's that you said about "cherry picking the best examples"?

Yeah, that reason is Fudds have more money than sense and most of them are just plain ignorant of any guns beyond what they're grandfather shot with. They're refurbishing Mausers out of sentimentality, not any actual "superiority".

The "reason" is stupidity.

The fact is, you can spend one tenth of that money and buy a modern bolt action that smokes anything from the Mauser's day in terms of performance.

I don't care how much money someone spends on bubbafying a war relic. Their stupidity has no bearing on the functionality of the guns. They can spend a ton of money reduce the actual value of a rare museum piece with historical value to less than ****.

That is hardly an endorsement.

Nagants are for shooting in rough conditions. They are fine just the way they are. Their rough character tells a story in every scar and arsenal stamp. You can look at the markings and see a history of 20th century warfare. All trail of conflict and revolutions spanning several different countries and even opposing sides sometimes. My Finn B-Barrel saw service for Russia, Finland and Germany and had in it's lifetime been fired in anger against all those countries as well. That's a fucking battle rifle!

All that is lost when you "sporterise" something. If I want a sporter I buy a modern one made specifically for the task.

I've seen a gilded bed pan and it was still a **** pot. I could really care less about some stupid Bubba's vanity piece.

Bullshit. I'd posit that a $250 Finn (What I payed for that B-Barrel Sako) beats a $250 Mauser for value any day of the week. Not to mention, quality 7.62x54r is cheaper and easier to come by than 8mm.

Further more, you shouldn't have to invest "$10,000" dollars into a gun to make it a shooter. Dafuq is that? All you've presented is that a Mauser is 10k shy of being a world class gun.

Sorry Devil, the Nazis lost and ugly "**** guns" carried the day. AFA "quality accurate bolt guns go" I'd drop $250 on a Savage and never look back before I drop $250 on a Mauser ($250 buys **** in Mausers),

Oh God. How did you pack this much fail into one post? I guess I'll start from the top.

I wasn't referring to your video when I talked about cherry picking the best guns. I was referring specifically to the Finnish nuggets which had already been mentioned.

I'm not a Mauser nutrider. I've built a couple hunting rifles off of old Mausers and it was a good learning experience but it's a flat out pain in the ass. Turning Mausers into sporters used to be cost effective because they were a dime a dozen. Now, it's not cost effective unless you have the skill to turn it into a one of a kind piece of artwork. There are people who are capable of that though. The value now of sporterizing Mausers for the average Joe is that it teaches you a **** ton about rifle building.

It's hilarious that you mention the Enfield in opposition to my argument that the Mauser is superior to the Nagant. I already mentioned the Enfield in my list of rifles that are superior to the Nagant. I never claimed the Mauser was better than anything......except the Nagant.......which it is........like most rifles.

And also your stupid argument that "it's not like they're perfect." No ****, asshole. I already said myself it isn't well suited to be a target rifle. You didn't hear that though, because you didn't want to. Instead you just heard me insulting your shitty Mosin-Nagant and got butthurt. The Mauser is legitimately a rifle that is well built, strong, and it set the stage for future bolt rifle design. No more. No less.

"Ermahgherd! They haven't even carried a single war!!!!!!111111" Who gives a ****? Does that take away the chatter marks in the Nagant's bore? I really don't think it does.

You're mistaken in your ideas about custom Mausers. I've already told you where I stand on sporterizing Mausers as a general rule. However, it's not ignorant Fudds who are paying stacks of money to have custom Mausers built. More often than not it's some guy who just put down $50Gs to go lion hunting in Africa and he wants a one-of-a-kind rifle that's a piece of art to use on that hunt. Yeah, they have lots of money. No, they're not stupid. They just appreciate nice things.

And I can assure you, the people who are building those rifles are not named Bubba and they're not devaluing ****. They're craftsmen of the highest skill level who are building museum quality rifles. If you don't dig it, that's cool but it doesn't make those people stupid.

I really appreciate you educating me on the accuracy of Mauser-era rifles vs. modern rifles. It was truly an eye opening experience, Captain Obvious.

Like it or not, the VAST majority of Nagants are machined terribly. If you can't pick one up and see that within 20 seconds it's because you're not familiar with well machined parts vs. poorly machined parts. It's just that simple.

The Mosin-Nagant is the Yugo of rifles. Yeah, the Yugo might get your ass from point A to point B but if you think it's not a piece of **** it's because you don't know cars.

And you're twisting my words again when you talk about having to invest $10,000 in a gun to make it a shooter. That's not what I said, retard. AGAIN, I already mentioned that Mausers aren't well suited to be target rifles - a viewpoint that I can discuss with you in great detail if you're interested. Accuracy is not the reason people choose Mausers as a platform for high end custom rifles - another viewpoint I can discuss with you in great detail if you're interested.

In closing, here are a few pics of Mausers Bubba has built for Fudd:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	15580

Name:	Mauser2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	15581

Name:  Mauser3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  Mauser4.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:	Mauser5.jpg 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	15584

Name:	Mauser6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	15585

Name:	Mauser7.jpg 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	15586

Name:  Mauser8.jpg
Size:  61.5 KB

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 2:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In closing, here are a few pics of Mausers Bubba has built for Fudd:

Name:	Mauser1.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	15580

Name:	Mauser2.jpg 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	15581

Name:  Mauser3.jpg
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  Mauser4.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:	Mauser5.jpg 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	15584

Name:	Mauser6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	15585

Name:	Mauser7.jpg 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	15586

Name:  Mauser8.jpg
Size:  61.5 KB
    As beautiful an example of gunsmithing as those are, I still stand by the fact that man who would risk that piece of art in a showdown with a cape buffalo is a damn fool.

50k invested or not. ;)

Posted On:
    11/19/2013 3:04pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As beautiful an example of gunsmithing as those are, I still stand by the fact that man who would risk that piece of art in a showdown with a cape buffalo is a damn fool.

50k invested or not. ;)

That's not the way they look at it. If their rifle gets scratched it's part of the story they'll tell when they're showing off the lion mounted in their living room and the rifle he shot him with.
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast