Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 2:27pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody loves the Nagant. Taking mine out for whitetail this week. But I don't think it's comparable to a modern distance rifle. Devil loves hyperble, but the Mosin was designed for ease of use, ease of manufacture, and reliability; not sub MOA accuracy.

But I have no problem hitting a paper plate at 200-300 yards with it, and that's a dead deer (or bad guy) every time.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 2:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Everybody loves the Nagant. Taking mine out for whitetail this week. But I don't think it's comparable to a modern distance rifle. Devil loves hyperble, but the Mosin was designed for ease of use, ease of manufacture, and reliability; not sub MOA accuracy.

But I have no problem hitting a paper plate at 200-300 yards with it, and that's a dead deer (or bad guy) every time.
    Absolutely! There's nothing wrong with that. But the discussion we were having was about bolt gun accuracy. When you talk about rifle accuracy, and especially when you talk about the difference between bolt rifle accuracy and semi-auto accuracy the measuring stick has to be very small.

So, comparatively speaking it is true that the Mosin is a piece of ****. It is not an excellent rifle in any way. It was crudely made. The machining on most of them is terrible. You can see that by looking at it. And if the machining on the outside of the barrel and receiver looks like ****, you can bet your ass the machining on the inside where it counts is also shitty.

There's just nothing nice about the Mosin Nagant except the price.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 3:57pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah. No argument there! Compared to virtually any modern weapon, the Mosin is crap. Cuz it's a damn antique.

I think Zaitsev and Heyha kind of inflate the weapon's reputation. Of course, those guys only occasionally took a shot further than 300 yards, and either one of them would have been a crack shot with any damn thing you gave them. The shooter trumps the weapon every time.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 4:21pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, are you guys saying that the Nagant isn't the long-range pinpoint sniper rifle that it is in Call of Duty? My early twenties are ruined.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 5:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Oh yeah. No argument there! Compared to virtually any modern weapon, the Mosin is crap. Cuz it's a damn antique.

I think Zaitsev and Heyha kind of inflate the weapon's reputation. Of course, those guys only occasionally took a shot further than 300 yards, and either one of them would have been a crack shot with any damn thing you gave them. The shooter trumps the weapon every time.
    Not just because it's an antique, though. It was always inferior to other bolt action rifles of it's time. The Mauser, the Lee-Enfield, the Springfield, the Winchester 54, the early Model 70s, the 1895 Steyr, the K31 Swiss......all superior to the lowly Nugget.
    Last edited by Devil; 11/13/2013 5:13pm at .

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 4:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I handload, so it was a 160 grain Nosler Solid Base (the box of bullets is at least 20 years old, LOL), Norma brass, CCI 200 primer, and 50 grains of Hodgon 4831 SC powder. The same load with a 160 gr Nosler Partition shoots to the same point of aim, so I have them mixed in together. The old Solid Bases are pretty tough, and true to form penetrated almost the entire length of the deer. Probably overkill for a deer, but I also hunt elk and bear with the same load(s).
    Handloading is so much fun. I should do it more. Only so many hours in the day though.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Handloading is so much fun. I should do it more. Only so many hours in the day though.
    I'm still using the rounds I worked up before hunting season 2012...the hours of the day are few.

I'm waiting for .22 rimfire ammo to be available again so my kids can get in more practice.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 8:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course the flip side of handloading is that it's the #1 way people blow their guns to pieces so maybe it's best if I don't do it too much. Mistakes can happen.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 1:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Of course the flip side of handloading is that it's the #1 way people blow their guns to pieces so maybe it's best if I don't do it too much. Mistakes can happen.
    Gotta watch double charging those handgun rounds with the fast burning powder...I've done that but always caught the mistake, fortunately.

Nothing like loading a 30/06 case full of Unique !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 3:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Gotta watch double charging those handgun rounds with the fast burning powder...I've done that but always caught the mistake, fortunately.

Nothing like loading a 30/06 case full of Unique !

Or a squib from no powder charge at all. Primer pushes bullet into the bore > barrel obstruction > KABOOM!
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast