Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 12:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Well a likely reason for the confusion is that the vast majority of firearms training is near completely focused on the operation of the firearm, not the "martial" fighting aspects.

Gun • fighting: a compound word?

Let's face it, if ones gunfighting training consists solely of shooting targets at a range, isn't that akin to doing all ones BJJ or Judo training against a grappling dummy? What if your Kung Fu training was only forms and working against a wooden dummy? How well will that solo training prepare you for a fight against a live opponent?

This IMHO is why most firearms training is not considered "martial art". Well, that and picking up kids in a minivan with a "Master Chuck's Afterschool Gunfighting Academy" sign would be a hard sell to most suburban moms.
    Excellent point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 4:44am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    "Better" weapons as in how? It's all in how you use it, son.

I've got a rifle so old it's production was commissioned by a Russian Tsar for the express purpose of putting down charging cavalry horses.

Tl, DR, all.. But you're a bit outgunned son.

.........In the aftermath of the 1986 FBI Miami shootout, the FBI started the process of testing 9mm and .45 ACP ammunition in preparation to replace its standard issue revolver with a semi-automatic pistol. The semi-automatic pistol offered two advantages over the revolver: 1) it offered increased ammunition capacity, and 2) it was easier to reload during a firefight. The FBI was satisfied with the performance of its .38 Special +P 10.2 g (158 gr) L.S.W.C.H.P. (lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoint) cartridge ("FBI Load") based on decades of dependable performance. Ammunition for the new semi-automatic pistol had to deliver terminal performance equal or superior to the .38 Special FBI Load. The FBI developed a series of practically oriented tests involving eight test events that reasonably represented the kinds of situations that FBI agents commonly encounter in shooting incidents...............
    If you remember, that was when two guys were hit over 10 times with 9mm, but still killed some agents with their AR-15 I believe.

And when the time comes, how are you gonna fight THE MAN without anti aircraft weapons, A. T. weapons,....

****, we all need neutron bomb siloses as house hold items.

Oh, and I love Mosin-nagnats, Manlichers and Mausers. When you need accuracy, bolt action is your friend.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 11/08/2013 4:56am at .

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    If you remember, that was when two guys were hit over 10 times with 9mm, but still killed some agents with their AR-15 I believe.
    Ruger Mini 14.

You're a fucking idiot. Seriously, just shut the **** up until you actually have some experience with the weapons you're trying to talk about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 11:41am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scheisse, I really thought it was M-14 ch0, but still cant get AR outta me head (very popular for shooting up your class), and was writing too fast again. Tank you ever so muchy kind sir.

Why would I need experience in shooting up some agents/policemen?? Thank you, don't want it, go ahead if you need it.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 11/08/2013 11:45am at .

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scheisse, I really thought it was M-14
    No, Mini 14. Related to an M14 but NOT EVEN THE SAME THING. Actually closer in pedigree to an M1A.

If you knew a rifle from the hole in your ass you wouldn't make ignorant comments like this.

ch0, but still cant get AR outta me head (very popular for shooting up your class), and was writing too fast again. Tank you ever so muchy kind sir.
    Actually, very few school shootings have been with an AR.

You don't even know what fucking AR15 is or what it would have in common with a Mini 14 so shut the **** up.

Why would I need experience in shooting up some agents/policemen?? Thank you, don't want it, go ahead if you need it.
    You don't need experience shooting police or anyone else for that matter.

What you need is experience "shooting", period.

Dumbass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 1:43pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geebeejeezuusss cowboys are scary. No wonder you have to be armed to the teeth if all of you have such a short temper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 1:55pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geebeejeezuusss cowboys are scary. No wonder you have to be armed to the teeth if all of you have such a short temper.
    The "u mad bro" defense only works if you're right and the other guy is wrong. Your grasp of the facts of firearms and firearms use is pretty dodgy, and all Machette is doing is pointing that out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 2:18pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, since you're an obviously more civilised man than most ogres, and your input is something I respect (although not always agree on) I shall immediately confess, that I don't care anymore about which boomstick is which for,.... 14 years, am talking out of my memory which is clouded with non - interest and time and that my first post in this thread is really all that was trying to contribute in a serious manner so I'll try to watch when I'm in YMAS and when I'm not more in the future. Though the bullies brag about how much they enjoy verbal sparring that nuke sure didn't help to convince me, that they can take a joke on themselves, even through obviously stereotypical trolling, and are not capable of a polite pointing into a right direction in a way you are, when the forum section is wrong for exercising goofing etc,...

Also in most times when Americans talk about guns the most sensible thing is to apologise and go away anyway, but that is a cultural gap matter. Have a nice one. Off to training, though I'll only watch today, because I have a cold and am in a not particularly cheerful mood.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 11/08/2013 2:26pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Right after the shot...he is standing where the hare was framed up.
    Attachment 15524

Cleaning and skinning...
    Attachment 15525

Frying it up (sauteing in olive oil, that is)...
    Attachment 15526

Looks like meat is back on the menu ! That's homemade sriracha sauce in the foreground, BTW.
    Attachment 15527

Preserving the hide after lunch.
    Attachment 15528

Thanks for indulging me, guys...
    That's what it's all about right there!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So we went deer hunting this weekend. My youngest son, myself, and my girlfriend all trooped out in the rain, fog, and pretty damned cold but not quite freezing afternoon. She informed me that ducks, rabbits, and turkeys were not enough, we needed some red meat (for the table, that is).

I had planned to go Mule Deer hunting up in the snow by myself (today), but decided that a family experience would be a lot more satisfying and edifying.

About an hour into the hike up various skid trails, we surprised (kinda..my boy's rain pants were pretty noisy!) 3 does coming around a sharp corner in the skid trail. They bailed out down a deep and steep draw, stopped and "sheeshed" at us a few times, all out of site in the bottom. We moved up to the corner of the trail, and they ran up the far side in the trees, then topped out on the ridge on far side of the draw. The lead doe was a nice once, so I went ahead and shot her (offhand at about 175-180 yards). She kinda stumbled and took off down the opposite slope. We all agreed I had hit her.

Name:  2013 Ben Tully Doe.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  52.9 KB

Since this is the "firearms thread", technical info. I was shooting a mid 70s vintage Ruger No. 1A Sporter in 7x57mm Mauser with a 2.5x -10x Sightron compact scope. I handload, so it was a 160 grain Nosler Solid Base (the box of bullets is at least 20 years old, LOL), Norma brass, CCI 200 primer, and 50 grains of Hodgon 4831 SC powder. The same load with a 160 gr Nosler Partition shoots to the same point of aim, so I have them mixed in together. The old Solid Bases are pretty tough, and true to form penetrated almost the entire length of the deer. Probably overkill for a deer, but I also hunt elk and bear with the same load(s).

She ran downhill about 120 yards and piled up on the next lower skid trail, which is where the photo was taken. We ate the tenderloins and heart last night. I've got some kimchee and venison stew going in the crock pot right now.

I think what gets lost a lot in the sound and fury of the debate on gun rights is the fact that hunting (in this case with firearms) is a great way for a family to spend time together (OK, or target shooting, plinking, etc.). It's not for everyone, obviously, but it's hard to beat the kind of experiences I've had with my boys while hunting and fishing. There are all sorts of lessons to be learned, growing up to do, etc. My girlfriend moved here from Montana, and she will be hunting next year. She's a yoga instructor, LOL, but loves wild game, and a NRA basic rifle instructor as well. So it's a family affair from start to finish.

Anyway, we all three thanked that deer for stopping (she was running along the ridge, and I "buck grunted" to get her to stop), and will honor her life by using every bit of her that we can.

There was a noticeable change in my 10 year old boy when he got his hunter safety card. It's kinda like getting a black belt does for some people, it can cause a quantum change in their attitude, skill, and maturity. When he got that Snowshoe Hare, another jump happened.

We went duck hunting in kayaks. His firearms handling was impeccable. I was coaching him as we went. At the end, I was worried he would be pissed at me for coaching him, so I asked him if he minded. He told me he liked it and appreciated it, which just about blew me away.

Like I said, quantum jumps.
    Last edited by BKR; 11/11/2013 11:57pm at . Reason: Add Photo
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast