Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2013 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hudson69 View Post
    I think the second worst feeling you could have is realizing that you are in a gun fight and do not have a gun. The only thing worse that I can think of right away is having a gun in a gunfight, pulling the trigger and all you get is a "click."

You can always put it in your sock and swing it. For anything below a 9mm, its worth considering.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/06/2013 5:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    They ate every damn bit of it too, including liver and heart, that same afternoon.
    Right after the shot...he is standing where the hare was framed up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skys First Hare Scene of Success Web.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	15524

Cleaning and skinning...

Name:	Cleaning Skys first hair crop web.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	15525

Frying it up (sauteing in olive oil, that is)...

Name:	Cooking Skys first hare web.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	15526

Looks like meat is back on the menu ! That's homemade sriracha sauce in the foreground, BTW.

Name:	Eating Sky's First Hare web.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	15527

Preserving the hide after lunch.

Name:	Skys First Hare Preserving Hide Web.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	15528

Thanks for indulging me, guys...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/06/2013 7:15pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fatherhood....you're doing it right.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/06/2013 8:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Fatherhood....you're doing it right.
    Damn right. Building some manly men right there. Good stuff.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 1:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're all so fucking wrong. Pull guard against gun, no can defense

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/238...r-at-gun-point

Seriously though (I'm certain this has been discussed many times before) the word "art" confuses the **** out of many people who conflate it with Fine Art rather than meaning the learned skills/techniques acquired through extensive training.

Firearms training is martial arts in every sense of the term, far more so than many other things which are labelled as martial arts, which in fact have more in common with fine art in that they are more concerned with aesthetics than practical application.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 9:20am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Firearms training is martial arts in every sense of the term, far more so than many other things which are labelled as martial arts, which in fact have more in common with fine art in that they are more concerned with aesthetics than practical application.
    Well a likely reason for the confusion is that the vast majority of firearms training is near completely focused on the operation of the firearm, not the "martial" fighting aspects.

Gun fighting: a compound word?

Let's face it, if ones gunfighting training consists solely of shooting targets at a range, isn't that akin to doing all ones BJJ or Judo training against a grappling dummy? What if your Kung Fu training was only forms and working against a wooden dummy? How well will that solo training prepare you for a fight against a live opponent?

This IMHO is why most firearms training is not considered "martial art". Well, that and picking up kids in a minivan with a "Master Chuck's Afterschool Gunfighting Academy" sign would be a hard sell to most suburban moms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 10:22am

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    You're all so fucking wrong. Pull guard against gun, no can defense

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/238...r-at-gun-point

Seriously though (I'm certain this has been discussed many times before) the word "art" confuses the **** out of many people who conflate it with Fine Art rather than meaning the learned skills/techniques acquired through extensive training.

I went to high school with the guy who took the would be robber down. He was not someone to mess with, even in high school.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 12:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Well a likely reason for the confusion is that the vast majority of firearms training is near completely focused on the operation of the firearm, not the "martial" fighting aspects.

Gun fighting: a compound word?

Let's face it, if ones gunfighting training consists solely of shooting targets at a range, isn't that akin to doing all ones BJJ or Judo training against a grappling dummy? What if your Kung Fu training was only forms and working against a wooden dummy? How well will that solo training prepare you for a fight against a live opponent?.
    That's related to what I was referring to earlier in the thread -- that there are not as many firearm training facilities available as MA schools, and its at those facilities where one can pick up more useful training than just shooting at targets at a range.

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 7:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    There will always be crooks with better weapons and superior training (zetas,... I heard that gang members also enter army if they can for the training purposes) and ambush options, so until there will be crack cocaine and street gangs here I won't be hasty with buying myself a firearm.
    "Better" weapons as in how? It's all in how you use it, son.

I've got a rifle so old it's production was commissioned by a Russian Tsar for the express purpose of putting down charging cavalry horses. It's type has been used by some of the most infamous and successful snipers in the history of war. It works just as well today as it did in the revolution and two world wars in which it saw service. It will penetrate both sides of a bullet proof vest, knock a ragged hole the size of a grapefruit through the poor schmuck wearing it and simultaneously turn most of their internal organs into dog food from hydro static shock. You could hit a man anywhere on their body and they will likely die from shock and blood loss. It will easily nail whatever you point it as for as far out as you can realistically see.

This devastating war machine is considered obsolete and cost's less than two bags of groceries. I assure you that despite it's age and frugality it will absolutely wreck any living thing you turn it on with monotonous reliability.

Just because there are newer, flashier weapons with fancy plastic parts and larger magazines doesn't mean they are "better".

Take Phrost's advice and learn something about guns before you make more silly statements out of ignorance.
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 11/07/2013 7:19pm at .
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast