Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 3:16pm

Style: BJJ/MMA, Boxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Accuracy expectations depend on the rifle. **Snip**
    That's cool stuff man! I haven't had any time to shoot since I got out of service, and all I own now are two pistols. I live in Bethesda MD, right outside of DC so places to shoot a rifle are pretty limited. I have yet to invest in a rifle yet. Once my wife joins the Army JAG here and we move to where there are ranges again I want to start back up. Shooting is a perishable skill!

I'll have to find some time to read through some of your stuff. I've never been huge on the fine points of machinery and ballistics, but I'm a pretty good shot (especially with a Javeline missile, but that doesn't count). I've always been more interested in the scopes than the rifle, because you can make a rifle work for you if you know what it's doing. Learning the finer points are definitely an interest though.

I wasn't expecting you to throw out all your quals! I have no clue what mine were, I just know I shot expert and passed scout sniper school. It sucks that your platoon sgt. wouldn't let you try out for the SS platoon. I had the same problem but the BC prevented them from taking any action. Good thing I didn't fail the indoc. because they were pissed as hell. I was an 0352 in a CAAT platoon, I didn't really want to get blown up in a vic. though.

Anywho, great stuff man. Someday there will be a necro of one of your old threads when I get the chance! I need to get a little closer to your level though so it's not a discussion between a particle physicist and somebody who is adept at algebra!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 10:28pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Sennin View Post
    I wasn't expecting you to throw out all your quals! I have no clue what mine were
    I don't remember the rest of my scores either, but I remember that first one because I'm still pissed off about it. I came in second behind some cocksucker named Brock who couldn't shoot better than me and I got to watch his bitch ass march around like a bigshot at graduation when they were supposed to be calling my name. ************.

To make matters worse my high school buddy who went to boot camp a few months after me was platoon high shooter with a lower score than what I shot. What a kick in the nuts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2014 3:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucks man. The only time I didn't get expert was in bootcamp, and I strongly believe it was because of the pit service. It was atrocious on qual day. After that I never had a problem and always shot high expert, but I don't recall the numbers. I just remembered hating going to the range to shoot because they wouldn't let us leave Stone Bay (east coast shooting range, if you're from the west).

The only thing that really matters is if you can shoot and hit somebody in the dome when the time comes though, right? Screw the prestige of paperwork and qualifying events.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/12/2014 5:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course.

I didn't give a **** about winning until I realized I almost did.

Posted On:
    4/12/2014 10:54am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've joined my local reserve unit which Is a Javelin unit so I may be tapping you up for tips at some point ero-sennin, it's the british reserves but I'm after all the info I can get. I'll scour bullshido for shooting tips as well.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2014 11:04am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's back to 250 Point scale...well they have the three table system now. No longer the dbl digit PT scale, though

Posted On:
    4/12/2014 11:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Didn't know that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 4:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    I've joined my local reserve unit which Is a Javelin unit so I may be tapping you up for tips at some point ero-sennin, it's the british reserves but I'm after all the info I can get. I'll scour bullshido for shooting tips as well.
    That's interesting. Since you're in another country, "Javeline" means shoulder fired missile right? I was what's called a TOW Gunner, dealing with vehicle mobile, wire guided missiles and the shoulder fired Javaline missile system. Ended up firing two Javs in Afghanistan, both at the max distance. Like dropping the hammer of god on people. I would have shot a third, but the gyro didn't engage and I ended up with a live missile just sitting on my shoulder. That'll make your asshole pucker. : P

Your unit should be able to teach you everything you need to know. The shooting positions just take practice, it's using the CLU that is the most difficult. I would probably need my memory jogged to be of any assistance.

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 6:12am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ero-Sennin View Post
    That's interesting. Since you're in another country, "Javeline" means shoulder fired missile right? I was what's called a TOW Gunner, dealing with vehicle mobile, wire guided missiles and the shoulder fired Javaline missile system. Ended up firing two Javs in Afghanistan, both at the max distance. Like dropping the hammer of god on people. I would have shot a third, but the gyro didn't engage and I ended up with a live missile just sitting on my shoulder. That'll make your asshole pucker. : P

Your unit should be able to teach you everything you need to know. The shooting positions just take practice, it's using the CLU that is the most difficult. I would probably need my memory jogged to be of any assistance.
    Yup, same kit. If I go down the Javeline route for a trade (which I'd like to) I'll obviously follow my official training to the letter but I always like to read up and listen to any experience wherever I can find it so I appreciate it, thanks.

And nice one for making it back from your tour intact, especially after having such a shitty malfunction!
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 6:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Yup, same kit. If I go down the Javeline route for a trade (which I'd like to) I'll obviously follow my official training to the letter but I always like to read up and listen to any experience wherever I can find it so I appreciate it, thanks.

And nice one for making it back from your tour intact, especially after having such a shitty malfunction!
    Are the Javeline units capable of doing anything else? What I mean is I was designated an 0352, which is a military occupational specialty (MOS) that involved training in basic infantry tactics, and the TOW and Javeline missile systems. The Javeline used to be taught to people with the 0351 MOS, along with their explosives training but since they're now a dying breed they moved it over to the 0352 MOS.

Do you guys just have designated Javeline teams that serve no other purpose (I assume basic infantry tactics are part of your syllabus) or do you train other weapon systems as well?

That malfunction sucked! I had to carry the CLU and a missile on my pack, along with a MK-15 (or 17, some damn number) and a full load out, along with other mission essential crap. Another guy carried a second missile. We had to move 6 kilometers to our position at night, through mountainous terrain, it really sucked balls. The engineer behind me couldn't carry his 240b all the way so I had that added to my load for the last kilometer. The guy carrying the second missile "fell out" twice on the ruck, curled up in the fetal position because he needed a break.

All in all, you would do yourself well by really working on your fitness and endurance. Rucking around with a 100+ lb pack regularly will probably benefit you tremendously since the Jav. is technically "troop portable." It's essential that you know how to balance it in your pack and are familiar with the load weight prior to actually having to do any sort of mission with it (training or real). It takes a man to hump around a big ass missile for his normal load out, lol.