Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2013 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So we went deer hunting this weekend. My youngest son, myself, and my girlfriend all trooped out in the rain, fog, and pretty damned cold but not quite freezing afternoon. She informed me that ducks, rabbits, and turkeys were not enough, we needed some red meat (for the table, that is).

I had planned to go Mule Deer hunting up in the snow by myself (today), but decided that a family experience would be a lot more satisfying and edifying.

About an hour into the hike up various skid trails, we surprised (kinda..my boy's rain pants were pretty noisy!) 3 does coming around a sharp corner in the skid trail. They bailed out down a deep and steep draw, stopped and "sheeshed" at us a few times, all out of site in the bottom. We moved up to the corner of the trail, and they ran up the far side in the trees, then topped out on the ridge on far side of the draw. The lead doe was a nice once, so I went ahead and shot her (offhand at about 175-180 yards). She kinda stumbled and took off down the opposite slope. We all agreed I had hit her.

Attachment 15557

Since this is the "firearms thread", technical info. I was shooting a mid 70s vintage Ruger No. 1A Sporter in 7x57mm Mauser with a 2.5x -10x Sightron compact scope. I handload, so it was a 160 grain Nosler Solid Base (the box of bullets is at least 20 years old, LOL), Norma brass, CCI 200 primer, and 50 grains of Hodgon 4831 SC powder. The same load with a 160 gr Nosler Partition shoots to the same point of aim, so I have them mixed in together. The old Solid Bases are pretty tough, and true to form penetrated almost the entire length of the deer. Probably overkill for a deer, but I also hunt elk and bear with the same load(s).

She ran downhill about 120 yards and piled up on the next lower skid trail, which is where the photo was taken. We ate the tenderloins and heart last night. I've got some kimchee and venison stew going in the crock pot right now.

I think what gets lost a lot in the sound and fury of the debate on gun rights is the fact that hunting (in this case with firearms) is a great way for a family to spend time together (OK, or target shooting, plinking, etc.). It's not for everyone, obviously, but it's hard to beat the kind of experiences I've had with my boys while hunting and fishing. There are all sorts of lessons to be learned, growing up to do, etc. My girlfriend moved here from Montana, and she will be hunting next year. She's a yoga instructor, LOL, but loves wild game, and a NRA basic rifle instructor as well. So it's a family affair from start to finish.

Anyway, we all three thanked that deer for stopping (she was running along the ridge, and I "buck grunted" to get her to stop), and will honor her life by using every bit of her that we can.

There was a noticeable change in my 10 year old boy when he got his hunter safety card. It's kinda like getting a black belt does for some people, it can cause a quantum change in their attitude, skill, and maturity. When he got that Snowshoe Hare, another jump happened.

We went duck hunting in kayaks. His firearms handling was impeccable. I was coaching him as we went. At the end, I was worried he would be pissed at me for coaching him, so I asked him if he minded. He told me he liked it and appreciated it, which just about blew me away.

Like I said, quantum jumps.
    I went out yesterday, just to spend some time in the woods. And shot a spike. Just figured I would share.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	15686
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2013 2:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "They who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/16/2013 3:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I went out yesterday, just to spend some time in the woods. And shot a spike. Just figured I would share.

Nice and tasty, I'm sure ! Congrats !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2013 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Your Mosin argument is invalid.
    Attachment 15625
    That reminds me of a rifle I saw last week.

I was out shooting with my daughter and this survivalist type rolls up and sets up next to us. He starts unpacking his gear and I see this really odd looking "sniper" rifle. I'm eyeballing this thing trying to figure out what the **** kind of rifle it is when the guy proudly starts bragging about this piece of work.

He says it's a mosin nugget. And boy what a list of work he has done to this thing. It's got a modern 18 billion way adjustable "sniper" stock, a aftermarket 2 position safety up near the bolt, detachable magazines, a crisp 6 pound trigger job, a muzzle break and a giant ass piece of "sniper" glass on top of this thing. He says this atrocity can shoot 1.5" at 100 yards with good ammo.

His ammo must have sucked hairy goat balls............. From behind.........
    He lays out his "sniper" shooting mat and with his new to guns friend spotting for him starts shooting at a 6" gong about 100 yards away. I look up when I hear his friend calling the shots, "1 foot low, 3' to the right, 8" high, a foot to the left. About six shots in the muzzle break goes flying off the barrel and I think it got closer to the gong than the bullet did.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/16/2013 11:06pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good luck against Lawler, bro.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 11:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Good luck against Lawler, bro.
    Thanks. I'm gonna stick with my camp's game plan and I think we wil come out victorious.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 11:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    I look up when I hear his friend calling the shots, "1 foot low, 3' to the right, 8" high, a foot to the left. About six shots in the muzzle break goes flying off the barrel and I think it got closer to the gong than the bullet did.
    That's awesome! I wish I would have been there. I see all kinds of crazy **** at the range. It's at the point now where I go to watch people and shoot on the side.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 11:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He says it's a mosin nugget. And boy what a list of work he has done to this thing. It's got a modern 18 billion way adjustable "sniper" stock, a aftermarket 2 position safety up near the bolt, detachable magazines, a crisp 6 pound trigger job, a muzzle break and a giant ass piece of "sniper" glass on top of this thing. He says this atrocity can shoot 1.5" at 100 yards with good ammo.
    That's fookin' criminal.

Dude could have dropped the same amount of cash into a bone stock Tikka and put all his rounds trough a ragged hole the size of a nickle at 100 yards.

In other news I just retrieved my 1942 VKT B-Barreled M39 (it was with a relative for a while). If you do your part it can perform better than his "sniper" without mods, glass or fancy ammo. Nice to have it back!

A couple of rare birds...

Left: 1915 Tula Imperial, "Peter The Great" M91
    Right: 1942 VKT (Valmet) "B Barrel" M39
    Nowhere in this picture: Faggy gold leaf engraving or delusional after market fuckery.
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 12/17/2013 11:36am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's awesome! I wish I would have been there. I see all kinds of crazy **** at the range. It's at the point now where I go to watch people and shoot on the side.
    Yeah this guy was a gem. You just knew about ten seconds in that he was "that guy". First thing this guy does is strap on his thigh holster and a gun belt with about 15 magazines in it and then of course he puts on his combat harness rig with even more magazines.

While this guy was madly blasting away at the innocent shrubs that had the misfortune to grow within 20 yards of the gong he had placd out there. Took everything I had inside to not light up his gong with my pistol.

The guy did finnaly get in a close shot....... He nailed the cross bar on his gong and destroyed it.

Got to hear him tell his friend how people would be unwise to underestimate his mini van in a zombie appocolypse. And he could drive that **** offroad and everything.

And Dont even get me started in his other mosin that he turned into a Jeff cooper style scout rifle

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Dont even get me started in his other mosin that he turned into a Jeff cooper style scout rifle.
    Oh god! Bubba, NO!!!!!

Ok, at this point in the thread it must be posted...

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast