Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's pretty good, but I didn't like the idea of strong range partials.
    Well...uh....isn't that at the crux of the matter? That's actually the part that makes perfect sense to me. Without re-writing his whole book, this is also the idea behind the variable resistance machines like Nautilus, Hammer Strength, and Med X. Reaching concentric failure is invariably going to occur in the weakest range of motion, however one finds that if the failed rep is assisted back to the point of greatest mechanical advantage one could complete partials or at least hold it statically; meaning...the maximum number of muscle fibers able to be exhausted have neccesarily not been (if one stops at that point).

Not that it's always the most appropriate thing to do, but his argument is sound. Hold the resistance at the point of greatest mechanical advantage til volitional failure (the static hold starts to sink), and you'll be much more certain that you've reached maximum intensity since one otherwise would have called it quits in the WEAKEST range (meaning there'd still be gas left in the tank for the strongest range which you'd otherwise have to be assisted to.)

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 10:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a place for ALL types of ST, from isometrics, to negatives, to partials, you just need to place them within the right context of what is right for YOU and for what you are doing them for.
    Its very hard to add ST to any training regime, most just throw it in and hope for the best, they eventually end up lacking in progress in ST AND MA.
    You need to balamce both and prioritise what you feel is of the upmost importance for you.
    Periodization or cycling my be in order.
    But in most cases, if you are doing your MA 4-5 times a week, ST is gonna wreak havoc on you unless you intorduce it slowly.
    Perhaps an abbreviated routine of compound moves every 2 weeks ? ie: a powerlifting/weightlifting routine to add strength with minimal mass.
    You can still do you MA and by adding a pure Strength building routine slowly, you can also build strength without comprimising your MA training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 5:56pm

Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your supplemental training (WT etc) should simulate your combat art. Trouble is, I can't see where isometrics simulate anything - they certainly won't help your speed. Isometrics are best used in a bodybuilding program to bulk up... If that's what you're after, then more power to you... ;)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 10:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short and to the point. I usually like that. This point, however, is utterly fubar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2004 11:23pm

Style: Deciding On A Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fubar?
    That's a new one, isn't it?
    Burn!!!!!11

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2004 9:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When just about every word is pretty much wrong, acronyms prove invaluable for brevity's sake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2004 11:25am

Style: Sheep Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isometrics rock!
    hold em for 6-10 secs for strength without size (when I did those, I could haul around big furniture like it was nothing). This seems to be the more common practice.

hold em for 30 secs upward for strength, endurance and freaky size gains ( I ganied 1.75 inches on my upper arm in a week). I got the exercises from an old Ju Jutsu book and they consist practically only of pushing and pulling doorframes, the chair you are sitting on, etc.

Speed wise, I'm not sure, but at least they didn't make me slower.

Posted On:
    5/16/2004 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you post them? My Bruce Lee strength training book has isometric exercies, but they only succeeded in getting me wierd looks at the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 7:43am

Style: Sheep Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure:
    Do all exercises with max tension for at least 30 secs. Don't stop breathing. The workout goes like this.

1) Sit before table. Now push down on it (Not like in a dip, more like the last inches on a pullover movement)
    2) The chair you sit on. Grab it. Now pull up.
    3) Now go to a window ledge. Push down on it (this time similar to a dip)
    4) Now try to curl it. Put you hands under it and pull
    5) Go to a wall. Push against it with both hands, like a push up.
    6) Now the doorframe. Place yourself inside, face the side frame, grab it with both hands and pull.
    7) Now place yourself slightly outside, grab the side frame with 1 hand and pull. then change hands (30 secs each or more)
    8) Put your back at one side frame, your feet and hands at the other. now push with both hands and feet
    9) Isometric military press in the doorframe.

thats it, doesn't take very long. You should really start out at 30 secs and build of from there.

When I did these every day, my measurements were like this:
    Chest: 46 inches
    Waist: 32
    Neck: 17
    Hip: 40
    Bi: 17
    Thigh: 25
    Forearm: 13
    Calf: 15 (my calves are always bad :) )

Had to stop it for Tai Chi though.
    Keep in mind, this is NOT martial-arts specific (in the book it says it's for getting fit and strong), although useful for external arts. And it is VERY good for bulking up and getting strong.
    Last edited by SanWuLi; 5/19/2004 7:52am at .

Posted On:
    5/19/2004 10:30am

Style: Bad Parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've already posted my isometric results. Isometrics are pretty good, but I feel like I'm cheating. I prefer the traditional movements and excercises.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast