Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Because racism and intolerance are fucking stupid, that's why.
    Wow. An opinion with nothing to back it up.

And if my opinion is that your opinion is fucking stupid, you can then respond that your opinion of my opinion about your opinion is fucking stupid. And then...

...hell, we could save time by just exchanging "NO U".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 4:23pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. You are actually continuing to dig yourself deeper here. You do realize that there is no way that this argument will end well for you, right? RIGHT??!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 4:49pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Wow. An opinion with nothing to back it up.

And if my opinion is that your opinion is fucking s/tupid, you can then respond that your opinion of my opinion about your opinion is fucking stupid. And then...

...hell, we could save time by just exchanging "NO U".
    The only people who are still, in this day and age, demanding an explanation for why racism is bad are the people for whom no explanation will suffice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 5:05pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, guys. A little rough?

That really sucks what happened to you, but it is not terribly uncommon for someone who wasn't aware of their surroundings. And being young and feeling immortal, it can feel like a tremendous shock when crap like this happens to you. Do your best to learn from this experience, wisen up, and do your best not to let this happen again. My points here are a little redundant to what many people have said, but I'll try to put them a bit more politely.

First of all, what you did once you realized you were in a bad situation was perfectly fine. If they've got you cornered, just give them your money. It's not worth the risk. It's also pretty foolish to think of these situations as a fight. They aren't. If the guys are armed, it is about surviving, not winning. And you did. So good job there. With that being said, getting robbed sucks, and you can do a few things to avoid that happening again.

Obviously, you live and go out in a sketchy area. What can you do to fix this? Move if at all possible. Preferrably to an all-around good area, but if you can't do or afford that, at least to a building that is more secure. Card keys for entry to shared spaces would be a good start.

Now, after that, try to be aware of your surroundings. If you are out late and see a couple of dudes just loitering around for no particular good reason, they turn around and leave. If they are in your hallway, same thing. Turn around. Leave Call a friend, and see if you can crash at their place. Once again, think about looking for a new place.

Now, if you are aware that there are sketchy people around, don't go out alone. Travel in a group whenever possible. Numbers make for a lot less appealing target.

Next point, just try to get fit. Do some running. Awareness and quick feet have saved my tail several times. Do some sprints regularly, and if you do go out, wear shoes that you can move in.

Next up, get strong. If you look like you can easily be overpowered, you're more likely to become a target. Bulk up. Lifting weights is good for you, will make you look tougher, and will attract more attention from the ladies. What have you go to lose here?

Start doing some striking. As others have mentioned, there is some good boxing and kickboxing in Paris. Getting used to getting hit will help you to fear it less. You'll learn to do some damage in a fight, and minimize the damage to yourself. Improving hand speed will help in most combative situations.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that you'll be Jason Bourne and be able to take on multiple attackers. That is highly unlikely. Sure, it has happened, but usually only when you drastically outclass someone in fighting skill, strength, speed, or most likely all of the above. When there are no weapons, that is. And for every multiple attacker defense success scenerio, there are a heck of a lot of failures. Even from experienced fighters. And when you fail against multiple attackers, the damage that they can do will be a lot worse for you than against one opponent.

To further aid you in handling yourself, do Judo. Seriously, in France there is some world-class Judo. And in a brawl, especially with multiple opponents, Judo is one of the best options. Just dump them, and run. If you drop them hard enough, they won't pop back up to give chase.

As far as weapons go, I'd consider carrying one. But only after taking some boxing and understanding the timing, evasion, and range that it will teach you. If you think that a weapon will save you without even some basic understanding of combat, and some general toughness, you'll be wrong. If you're weak and scared, you'll just escalate the beating that you'll likely get which might be even worse once your attacker takes away you weapon.

Boxing is awesome for teaching you some of these things and generally toughening you up. You may get some of this from a good FMA club, but finding the good ones that spar and beat on you regularly can be tricky. Hence my suggestion of boxing, where regular sparring sessions are always the norm.

So, in summary...

1. Move to safer area/building
    2. Situational awareness
    3. Travel in groups
    4. Run regularly
    5. Lift weights/get more fit
    6. Boxing/kickboxing
    7. Judo
    8. Weapons/weapon training

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    11/07/2013 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, genius, tell me why--after gaining independence from such a hated colonial power--would monobrows then want to go to the very place that spawned such unforgivable attitudes.

Once you've been terribly abused (begin violin here) and then having escaped the terrible abuser--why would you go to the place where he lives when you know there's a good chance you'll just get more abuse?
    English as a second language old boy? The question was, by what right does a country that made itself by colonizing others get offended when those others do it right back?

You answered the question, why would anyone want to emigrate to France after we treated them like ****? And that's because you have generations raised to think that life in the West is better than life at home, because all those in power back home came from the West. How the hell does that either surprise you or piss you off? You started it in the first place.

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 1:08pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    English as a second language old boy?
    You forgot some punctuation there, young girl.

The question was, by what right does a country that made itself by colonizing others get offended when those others do it right back?
    That was your question, and I gave it all the attention it deserved.

You answered the question, why would anyone want to emigrate to France after we treated them like ****? And that's because you have generations raised to think that life in the West is better than life at home, because all those in power back home came from the West. How the hell does that either surprise you or piss you off? You started it in the first place.
    Let's try this again, genius: If I really thought that life in the West was better than at home, then why would I want decolonisation? If I really thought the West is best, why would I want it to go away?

Do you see the fundamental contradiction in wanting the West to go away--and then wanting to go to the West once it has gone away? Oceans and borders and immigration rules, versus none of the above.

Here's a better explanation: Monobrows lived in barbaric shitholes before colonisation. During colonisation, they blamed the barbaric-shithole status of their "countries" on the colonisers. When the colonisers left and armpitstans remained barbaric shitholes, instead of becoming post-independence paradises, many monobrows--having an idealistic view of the coloniser's homeland--went there and (surprise, surprise) found themselves immediately segregated into all-concrete arrondissements.

They don't like that? The choice is to remain in their grey-slab arrondissements or go back to their native lands and work to make those places better--which may just have been more useful, in the first place, than merely running away.

Clear?

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 1:16pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only people who are still, in this day and age, demanding an explanation for why racism is bad are the people for whom no explanation will suffice.
    The early history of your continent is replete with examples of First Nations being all open and welcoming of the (at first relatively-few) European newcomers. For decades, power resided in the established First Nations while the few Europeans lived off their charity.

Fast-forward to the result: what good did being all nice, helpful, tolerant and non-racist do them? Those nations that aren't now extinct are corralled in reserves or are otherwise a shadow of what they had been. A little racist xenophobia might have placed them in a better situation, rather than resulting in their being taken advantage of from the start.

Defend your land...or lose it. Simple choice, really.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 11/08/2013 1:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 1:40pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The early history of your continent is replete with examples of First Nations being all open and welcoming of the (at first relatively-few) European newcomers. For decades, power resided in the established First Nations while the few Europeans lived off their charity.

Fast-forward to the result: what good did being all nice, helpful, tolerant and non-racist do them? Those nations that aren't now extinct are corralled in reserves or are otherwise a shadow of what they had been. A little racist xenophobia might have placed them in a better situation, rather than resulting in their being taken advantage of from the start.

Defend your land...or lose it. Simple choice, really.
    Good luck defending "your" land, then.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    11/08/2013 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Emotional red herring*
    Say what you will about French warfare, they've got an amazing talent for setting up defences were they're not getting attacked.

You keep claiming that most segregated ex-colony immigrants are just running back to an abusive parent, but the disenfranchised poor don't care who's ruling them. They care about opportunities to change their lot, and you showed them that those were available in the West. Why, then, are you surprised they're coming?

And by what right shouldn't they? Because you were there first? They were there first when France set up mercantile colonies. Because you're a militarily stronger country? Hell, how about we just start referring to you as a province of China then?

Monobrows lived in barbaric shitholes before colonisation.
    Ohh, just for shits and giggles, do explain how you improved that. Please.

Posted On:
    11/09/2013 2:30pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're nowhere near it--battle mostly won.

So tell me, Matt...are you a First Nations individual? Not one of those non-natives who claim '1/16th Cherokee' or whatever, I mean an actual member of a First Nation.

Unlikely.

What is more likely is that you're a non-native living on land stolen from a First Nation. Yet, despite this nasty colonial/racist legacy to which you are an active participant, there you go, spewing your wide-eyed moralising-undergrad "can-we-all-get-along" schtick.

There lies the difference, kid. I know I'm living on land taken from others (though not racially-different as such things are commonly-viewed today) way back in 911, by force and the threat of force. I make no bones about it and get on no self-righteous, hypocritical high horse when I encounter others whose legacy is likewise.

You, on the other hand, squeak political-correctness while, at the same time, living on land that was taken, on a racial basis, from peoples who were there before you. Shame on you. Until you return that land to the peoples from which it was taken, thy name is (pretending not to be) racist.

You're nowhere near it--battle mostly won.

So tell me, Matt...are you a First Nations individual? Not one of those non-natives who claim '1/16th Cherokee' or whatever, I mean an actual member of a First Nation.

Unlikely.

What is more likely is that you're a non-native living on land stolen from a First Nation. Yet, despite this nasty colonial/racist legacy to which you are an active participant, there you go, spewing your wide-eyed moralising-undergrad "can-we-all-get-along" schtick.

There lies the difference, kid. I know I'm living on land taken from others (though not racially-different as such things are commonly-viewed today) way back in 911, by force and the threat of force. I make no bones about it and get on no self-righteous, hypocritical high horse when I encounter others whose legacy is likewise.

You, on the other hand, squeak political-correctness while, at the same time, living on land that was taken, on a racial basis, from peoples who were there before you. Shame on you. Until you return that land to the peoples from which it was taken, thy name is (pretending not to be) racist.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast