Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2013 1:49am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, go to the gym.

Okay, are you strong enough to actually train in something physically demanding? Good! now go take an FMA and carry a knife with you. Is it illegal? Maybe! But I don't see any wounded muggers going to the police.

"Help, I got stabbed!"

"Oh, what happened?"

"I was trying to steal everything this one guy owned and was threatening to kill him, and then out of nowhere he stabbed me! What the ****!"

I really don't see that conversation happening. That being wsaid, if hard work isn't something you're up for, I would suggest ordering a nice can of pepper spray and a rape whistle off of ebay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2013 4:46pm

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carry 10 Euros in your shirt pocket separate from your wallet. If you are in danger of getting mugged, throw it on the floor and run.

Also, keep irreplaceable valuables somewhere safe, like a bank safety deposit box. You should try to never be in a position that whatever you are carrying on you is worth more than your life. That is exactly what you are risking if you choose to engage in fisticuffs over your wallet.

By the way, trying to look like a badass can easily backfire as there are always people looking to take the badass down a peg or two. Fighting for self defense is more for situations in which you have no other choice.

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 4:08am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, you probably look like prey, and you definitely sound like one.
    You owe it to yourself to go to a boxing gym, there are some good ones in Paris. You must spar and spar hard with one of those veterans that look like he is a mugger too.
    Only after you get socked in the face while trying your best to fight back can you start saying **** like "it is possible to take on more than one opponent".

You can either look tough or be tough (normally). Either you put your time and energy at lifting weights and bulking up (all good) or you train heavily in a grappling sport coupled to a striking sport. The latter will make you tough and strengthen you a lot, but, you wont be as bulked up and "tough" looking as if you would power lift and body build.
    I suggest as everybody here did already to train for 4-6 times a week in MMA basically.
    This will harden you both mentally and physically, when you gain ability to fight, you will radiate it and appear less as a mark to the average hoodlum. But it is a much harder course than just body building and power lifting.
    Stay alert, carry a tazer and be ready to surrender like a true frenchy :)

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 6:45am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    By the way, trying to look like a badass can easily backfire as there are always people looking to take the badass down a peg or two.
    Generally, predators look for prey; they want an easy mark. Walking around trying to look like a badass is really never a good idea; it makes you a tool.
    Walking around with your head up, scanning your lanes, having the appearance of someone who is physically fit and mentally prepared is going to keep you out of way more fights than it will get you into.

Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    Fighting for self defense is more for situations in which you have no other choice.
    These too, are words to live by; there are some situations you cannot avoid and you may be forced to defend yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 8:24am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weakling View Post
    I do believe it possible to fight off multiple attackers, two at least. I mean those Spetsnatz and Delta Force or SEAL guys can do it right? With the right training even I may be able to kick some arse I think! The question would be this though: Where can one learn to fight like an elite soldier without actually joining the military?
    How do you know the elite forces can fight off multiple attackers? Ah right, the movies. With thinking like this that the seals/spetsnatz are the most leathal hand-to-hand combat experts is going to make you perfect prey for Krav Maga and Systema.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 8:31am

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first rule of surviving violent encounters is to not have them.

If you live in an area where people routinely get mugged. Get out of the area. Even if you were lord Humongous, Chief ass-kicker of the Badass Nomad Tricycle club, you are not going to win every time. So why repeatedly expose yourself?

You admit you are not Lord Humongous, and frankly, quite the opposite. You are going to get hurt. You are right to be afraid. That anxiety is your emigdyla being smarter than your frontal cortex. It will take you YEARS to develop the physicality and technical skills to be competent in violent encounters. Be somewhere else during that time. Train in boxing/judo/muay thai/savate/wrestling for a few years. And hit the weights.

When you have achieved a meaningful level of strength and skill and
    if Paris is still your dream at that point, go back and take your chances.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, there's a balance to be had in terms of being a visible deterrent.

Posing like the baddest MF may well get you unwanted attention.

Being the most visible victim in the room? Same result.

Warning--unsubstantiated opinion ahead: being neither of the above (which is still no guarantee, but will diminish the odds of your being targeted) means both strength-training and fight-training.

With time and diligent effort, you'll start to look and move in a way that is quietly efficient and businesslike, which tends to discourage unwanted attention. If you've trained long and hard, it's no accident that you will look that way, because you will be that way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 11:24am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, it's not always feasible to get out of the area. We don't know what his situation is.

One thing I forgot to add. The best self defense in a tough neighborhood, if you must live there, is to make some friends. You are far less likely to be targeted when in the company of even one other person. If you join a boxing or judo gym and make friends there, that's just a bonus.

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 11:26am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, btw about "elite soldiers being able to fight multiple opponents"
    This are the Israeli elite (naval comando) fighting turkish thugs/activists on board the "Mavi Marmara flotilla".
    Because of this stupid thinking that elite soldiers that learned some krav maga and are generally very fit they can overtake multiple opponents in what is basically a fight..The soldiers quickly got overtaken, some actually kidnapped and dragged down the huge ship until the reinforcement started using live ammunition and had to kill 9 of those thugs and injure a lot more. This caused a huge fiasco with the Turkish government etc. All because some captain/general thought that commando soldiers can kick ass literally...
    I found something showing how we got our ass kicked, the pro muslim media and sights will try and tell a different story..but you can see for yourself .
    http://www.mako.co.il/news-specials/...2929d31004.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2013 4:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that looking like Billy Badass might get you some bad attention from whoever wants to prove themselves, but I think that's less likely than being victimized because you look like an easy target. Honestly, strong, alert individuals are less likely to be fucked with than are people who resemble apologetic question marks.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast