Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 4:08am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried Re-locations fu? May be a better idea than hoping that martial arts is going to get you out of this situation. I mean, given your situation, it's a daily fear of death or muggings. It takes years upon years to really be able to master martial arts to the point of being able to use it effectively. It's not a quick fix. Adding to that, this isn't the movies. If you manage to beat a knifeweilding group of muggers to a pulp (which I can't see happening even with 50 years training) they'll not just back off and leave you alone. I should imagine they'll make a target out of you and just come back worse.

Honestly, best thought for you, if you can, move.

That said I don't discourage learning martial arts. Shop around and look for a good gym, mainly with a good emphasis on sparring. Boxing, Muay Thai and other such kickboxing styles are your go to but even less popular styles such as TKD, Karate and Kung Fu can still be pretty useful and good styles to learn as self defense so long as both you and the gym you go to have the right attitude.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 5:25am

Style: Sekkyoku Tai Jutsu/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously every situation is different, and you have to consider your safety, but I don't think kicking someone in the balls and running, and training with fleeing a combat situation in mind as a priority is the answer either because why the hell are you trying to learn a combat art in the first place?

A lot of it is how you carry yourself, and the situations you put yourself in, because every place in the world has their rough areas. If you're not prone to exercise, then there's your first hurdle. There's no fast easy way to learn this stuff. You're going to have to put in the time, and take a few digs. Join a boxing gym, take some grappling classes, and try bulking up a bit with weights if people are targeting you, because why you? Don't be that out of place yank. Trust me, I've seen it, and I took it upon myself to do the opposite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 12:01pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read Geoff Thompson: Dead or alive book. NOW!!!!!!!!!

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get involved with a serious martial sport. Become as much of a badass as you can. Hang around with other badasses. Get switched on, develop situational awareness. Before you walk in someplace, look inside. If you are in a room, train, store, look at the other people. Figure out what they are all about. When you get good, and you know your city well enough, you should be able to predict who is getting off at which stop, what they are going to buy before they ask for it and what their next move will be. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 2:32pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first step to not being victimized is not looking like an easy mark. Sadly for you it sounds like this may be a long, but rewarding, road. Like everyone has said get involved in a hard hitting martial art, every class should be a work out. Also a gym membership and a good long term strength program coupled with solid eating will work wonders for your physique and confidence.

Plus you rarely feel safer then when your having an after practice drink with a bunch of ass kickers.

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 3:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weakling View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Hi...and if your user-name is any indication, you're in the right place. What arrondissement do you call home at the moment?

I recently moved to Paris, France (nope, not Texas, I wish!).
    Then move to gay-paree in the lone-star state, and stop using Woody Allen movies as a travel guide.

Unlike what most people seem to think it's not a clean, romantic, elegant and safe city like you see in movies.
    Who the **** ever thought Paris was anything but a shithole?

It's filthy, dangerous and the police is completely useless.
    No ****, Sherlock. How is it possible you didn't know this? Just fucking move. The farther, the better.

I want to tell you a bit about what led me to this conclusion...
    Let me guess: you stopped dreaming and fucking woke up?

When I first moved here I thought I was living the dream but then on my first day I was at one of the big trainstations in Paris, Gare du Nord. I'd been to a couple of bars to have a drink and hit on some pretty french girls and I was just coming home with this cute brunette called Clarisse. Anyway, a man ran out of the train station hand on his chest, bleeding! He'd just been stabbed and no one seemed to be helping him, in fact people were keeping their distances!
    Should they have been lining up to suck the HIV-infected life out of him?

- A few weeks ago some guys got into the hallway of the building where I live and threatened to kill me if I didn't give them my phone, my money, my credit card with the code and even my "Carte Vitale" the french social security card. I gave them all that and because I wanted to make sure the door was shut when they went out so that they couldn't come back in and follow me into my apartment these bastards kicked the door back open, yelled "don't follow us" and knocked me against the wall where I lost consciousness, when I woke up there was no one there to help, no one had called an ambulance or anything...
    You should have yelled "Hey, you're French, so just surrender, okay? OKAY?!??" This would have worked wonders (at least in terms of improving the human gene pool).

What I'm trying to say is this: If the Police won't protect me I need to learn how to protect myself, right?
    I'm curious--how long, exactly, did it take you to figure this out?

...I don't have any predisposition for exercise if you get my meaning, I can't even do push ups...
    Stay where you are, and you'll get lots of exercise bending over.

In France you can't own a gun and kill your attackers like you can in some countries
    Bullshit on both counts. Do not make pronouncements on laws you don't know **** about.

I'd need a martial art made for real combat, not sports, something that I can use to quickly knock someone out and in extreme cases when an opponent is armed and ready to use his weapon against me, kill.
    Yeah, 'cause you can't learn a quick KO from mere sports. As for weapons, you learn responses against things when you learn how they're used. Defense against weapons is best learned via proper training with those weapons. Duh.

I'm scared to go out at night and ever since I got mugged in my own building I feel scared to even leave my apartment and I get paranoid every time I see someone even remotely dodgy looking. Learning how to defend myself and then fight back would give me the confidence to overcome this.
    But no mere sport-fighting and no strength training. Bonne chance, fillette.

What's a good martial art to learn for someone like me?
    Finding the best kind of bed to hide under.

...I want a martial art that has good schools or teachers here in Paris, obviously if it's something too obscure there won't be any schools here. I'd really appreciate your recommendations!
    I'd have recommended some decent Judo, KK and Savate places, but those involve actual exertion.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, where were you before you decided to fulfill your sweet Parisian dream?
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 11/03/2013 4:27pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weakling View Post
    I do believe it possible to fight off multiple attackers, two at least.
    It may be possible to believe you can fight off two attackers. Going by your posts if accurate you need to know that you can't.

I mean those Spetsnatz and Delta Force or SEAL guys can do it right? With the right training even I may be able to kick some arse I think! The question would be this though: Where can one learn to fight like an elite soldier without actually joining the military?
    I know you're a noob and we have to be a bit polite but you really are an idiot..and quite possibly a danger to yourself.

So far you have survived very probably because you did not fight back and just gave up the goods, if you find yourself in a similar situation again you should do that again.

By all means go learn an MA, one where you get hit alot.

Learning what it feels like to act under stress and pressure may help in the unlikely event you are attacked in such a manner that you have time to 'set' yourself..if you're suprise attacked ( which is the usual with muggings/beatings etc ) do your best and good luck.

[

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 6:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes, I forgot. Before you get excited about fighting multiple adversaries, take a martial sport and get good at kicking one person's ass first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 7:04pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work on your Situational Awareness. Avoid anything that looks sketchy.

Start working out, hard. I'd suggest reading Starting Strength and following it like gospel. Get big and strong. I'd also suggest sprinting. Lots of it. Your goal is to look like someone who shouldn't be fucked with, and have the abilty to zip off like a cheetah is someone does.

As for martial arts, I'd suggest picking something where you spar heavily. Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, all get pretty high marks from every knowledgable fighter I've ever talked to. I hear that Judo is pretty popular in France, so that might be the most accessible choice.

Good luck.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet View Post
    Your goal is to look like someone who shouldn't be fucked with, and have the abilty to zip off like a cheetah is someone does.
    Words to live by.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast