Page 1 of 13 12345 11 ... Last
    Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What's Wrong with Aikido?

"There are no good and bad martial arts. It's the fighter that matters, not the style."

^ This notion, as widely held as it might be in the martial arts world, is complete crap. An individual fighter is forged by his training, which in turn is dictated by the style he practices. To say style doesn't matter is to say training doesn't matter, something I'm sure nobody reading this would agree with.

At the end of the day, all martial arts are just systems of honing a physical skill. None of them are above scrutiny. There are about five million videos on Youtube criticizing Crossfit, so why shouldn't there be any videos criticizing some of the more dubious training methodologies in the martial arts world?

And on that note, I present to thee:

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. I recently got into that discussion and was blown away with the concept of arm destructions. That an art that is designed to safley handle an attacker without hurting him is too deadly to spar.

It is one of those arts that gets touted as a go to for police and security. Where you put up with doing low percentage attacks because you are generally not trying to hurt the other guy.

But if you are going to rip a guys arm off. You may as well just have hit him with a chair and saved yourself the heartache.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    MMA/Pankration
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take the best stuff from Tomiki-ryu and add it to judo or BJJ. Or that other style that competes, Hatenkai. Basically, aikido seems to be just one small part of a much larger curriculum.
    "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosexmachina View Post
    Take the best stuff from Tomiki-ryu and add it to judo or BJJ. Or that other style that competes, Hatenkai. Basically, aikido seems to be just one small part of a much larger curriculum.
    Bjj and Judo already have everything in tomiki has.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing in my very inexpert opinion on tomiki, from watching some competitions on youtube, seems like their randori aims to complete takedowns without grabbing the gi, or clinching, just arm attacks and some sweeps.

I can see that being useful as a kind of supplemental training to work things you might not normally bother with.

It would be along the lines of limited sparring in boxing where both opponents keep their lead foot inside a tire. You're forced to work in the pocket the entire round. Doesn't help your footwork at all but does wonders for your head movement.

Tomiki aikido randori would maybe be less useful than the foot in the tire sparring but the principal could be similar. Limit your techniques to train stuff you might not normally do well.

My only real issue is it doesn't seem useful enough to actually devote much training time too... but suppose they find a cure for aging and I'm kicking around for a few hundred years, sure I'll spend some time in it eventually.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great video/analysis. Just sent it to a mate that wants to be productive after work and was considering aikido.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Great video/analysis. Just sent it to a mate that wants to be productive after work and was considering aikido.
    Is he a *****?
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liked the video, however, to some extent, I do not agree with the second and third parts: the technical curriculum and the philosophy. But the only one to blame about the misunderstandings about Aikido are akidoka themselves and the art's governing orgs; the conclusion sums it up perfectly and gives the "It's the fighter that matters, not the style" a new meaning: a style populated by pussies become pussified no matter how good the style was when it started.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Bjj and Judo already have everything in tomiki has.
    It's in Judo, mostly in the Goshin Jutsu (no kata). Mostly lost to modern practitioners IME. By "in" I mean the type of tai sabaki and distancing (mai-ai) more typical to aikido, and the lack (but not totally absent) of jacket grabbing the same.

Once two guys lock on grips on a jacket, dynamics change and aikido-like movement becomes a lot more difficult to do and less efficient, IME.

It's really a matter of mai-ai (engagement distance), I think.

DCS? What do you think?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Once two guys lock on grips on a jacket, dynamics change and aikido-like movement becomes a lot more difficult to do and less efficient, IME.
    Seconded

It's really a matter of mai-ai (engagement distance), I think.

DCS? What do you think?
    That aikido focuses in the close range striking/arms lenght grappling distance that is very common in classical japanese martial arts and in european medieval/renaissance martial arts; styles which were heavily concerned about weapons.

When one is sure the opponent is unarmed and there is no need for your own weapon retention Aikido's tactics and techniques are not really needed.

Page 1 of 13 12345 11 ... Last