223609 Bullies, 3752 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 38
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. warlordgrego is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    39

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 10:01am


     Style: Chito-Ryu, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Brian Jones (not well, but my school affiliates with his), and have trained with him.

    From what I gather, the point he was trying to make is that he'd see some shady "rankings" by no-gi guys who decide they can just declare themselves black belts and start teaching, despite having no official lineage or certifications. He wasn't shitting on no-gi as a style. He actually does practice no-gi. The rant wasn't targeted to no-gi guys so much as it was non-legit guys...though, he probably should have worded it better.

    He certainly wasn't targeting 10th Planet, who use a belt ranking system in no-gi. They actually have lineage and legitimacy in the BJJ community. That said, I don't know Brian that well, and haven't discussed this with him personally. I'm going by what he's posted on facebook and his website.
  2. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,963

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 10:09am

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to go argue with him on his youtube video.
  3. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,014

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 10:22am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I'm going to go argue with Ihim on his youtube video.
    If it doesn't end up as a Gong Sau I am going to be disapointed
  4. gregaquaman is online now
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,490

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 2:10pm


     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warlordgrego View Post
    I know Brian Jones (not well, but my school affiliates with his), and have trained with him.

    From what I gather, the point he was trying to make is that he'd see some shady "rankings" by no-gi guys who decide they can just declare themselves black belts and start teaching, despite having no official lineage or certifications. He wasn't shitting on no-gi as a style. He actually does practice no-gi. The rant wasn't targeted to no-gi guys so much as it was non-legit guys...though, he probably should have worded it better.

    He certainly wasn't targeting 10th Planet, who use a belt ranking system in no-gi. They actually have lineage and legitimacy in the BJJ community. That said, I don't know Brian that well, and haven't discussed this with him personally. I'm going by what he's posted on facebook and his website.

    I learn grappling from a guy whos only legitimacy is he wins fights.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
  5. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,596

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 2:41pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    teh Hatewagon

    His response to the comments:



    Edit: this was posted on the 6th, so he may not be accepting any more suitors.
    Last edited by itwasntme; 10/30/2013 3:04pm at .
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  6. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,963

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 2:57pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yay, more arguments from me.
  7. Holy Moment is offline
    Holy Moment's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    4,033

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 8:31pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to go argue with him on his youtube video.
    I'm just going to send him salacious personal messages.
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,963

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 9:38pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're exchanging tshirts.
  9. warlordgrego is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    39

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 10:26pm


     Style: Chito-Ryu, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I learn grappling from a guy whos only legitimacy is he wins fights.
    That is perfectly fine. Did this guy claim to be a black belt just because he wins fights though?

    That aside, its not my argument. I was just somewhat clumsily trying to clarify what I think Brian means.
  10. gregaquaman is online now
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,490

    Posted On:
    10/30/2013 11:49pm


     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warlordgrego View Post
    That is perfectly fine. Did this guy claim to be a black belt just because he wins fights though?

    That aside, its not my argument. I was just somewhat clumsily trying to clarify what I think Brian means.
    the issue is that with promoting a no gi system people want to judge it by something.

    So to justify how good your system is you test it by other systems. No gi ranking is pretty much only by competition. Especially mma. You are the champ untill you are not the champ.

    So they have taken this mentality and tested it against other styles.

    This is all very irritating when people ring up and want to know what belt you are. How are you supposed to answer that question?

    Now if you want to go one step further and have an in house belt then the test for that belt should be other legitimate styles. Especially if you are geared towards competition anyway.

    Basically there are two different midsets in conflict here. One is that success in execution determines rank. And the other is that something else determines rank.

    Honestly both ideas are fine. But saying one is wrong is silly.

    The other question is what division do you put an unranked no gi grappler in if they do a bjj comp.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.