Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 4:29pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm a blackbelt in NO-GI...

First, if this is elsewhere, well I was too lazy to look; do what you will mods.

Second, saw the video below today and the FB bjj nutriders are all over it. I'm interested in what the Bullies think cause I like you better then the people on FB. I personally think it's kinda stupid to say it but then again, I really don't care too much either. I mean I have a in-house green belt in SAMBO*, sooo...
    [h= ]5[/h]

*yes, I understand how that statement is 'wrong', doesn't make it any less 'true' though

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without a gi, why wear a belt?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Without a gi, why wear a belt?
    Head bands would be much cooler
    King without a crown

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 5:12pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saw this on the 10p forum, and I have a different take on it. Those guys like to say they are ranked in nogi jits, but, if they're under Eddie, then they actually have regular bjj rank. Eddie is ranked under the Machados, so anyone under him would trace their lineage up through the Machados. And the Machados are definitely legit bjj lineage. Jits is jits, with or without the gi. Nogi is just another style.

That's my take on it. Other than that all he's really saying is if you award yourself rank you're a fraud, which would seem to be largely in line with this sites view.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 5:29pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    First, if this is elsewhere, well I was too lazy to look; do what you will mods.

Second, saw the video below today and the FB bjj nutriders are all over it. I'm interested in what the Bullies think cause I like you better then the people on FB. I personally think it's kinda stupid to say it but then again, I really don't care too much either. I mean I have a in-house green belt in SAMBO*, sooo...
    [h= ]5[/h]

*yes, I understand how that statement is 'wrong', doesn't make it any less 'true' though
    You have a green belt in Omega Awesomeness. A rare belt indeed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 10:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just saw the video. I think him and I need to fight over that name.

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 11:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are going to have your own ranking system. Testing it against other ranking systems is not so silly.

I have a black belt in greg fu because I have just smashed a couple of black belt bjjers Is a more sensible approach than Most grading systems.

Especially as this is how no gi ranking is generally judged.

Or to be really nasty about it. The ranking system is not judged on fighting skill.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 10/30/2013 12:30am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 1:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God this argument makes me mad. Would it make you purist fucktards happier if people said they had a "black rank" instead of a belt?

It's the skill level that matters, not what you fucking call it. Labelling it a "belt" is just a convenient label that everyone can understand. For those interested, I have a blue rank at a no-gi school (and yes we call it a belt). And how do we justify giving out coloured rank in a no-gi brazillian JJ style? Well, the instructor/owner was awarded a no-gi BB from Chris Brennan, and more to the point, our blue, purple, and brown belts whoop the **** out of other blue, purple, and brown belts from Gi BJJ schools in no-gi tournaments.

And no we don't have actual belts. You get a coloured rashguard. Calling it a "belt" is just a convenient label that helps prevent sandbagging bitches from entering lower ranks in tournaments because the difference between "intermediate" and "advanced" isn't exactly clear.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 1:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watched the actual video (lol).

Apparently those who train at a no-gi school can't understand teechnique, or BJJ philosophy, or terminology, don't go through the "promotional thing" (???), and we have no lineage. Because apparently, wearing an oversized jacket is the key to unlocking all these wonderful things.

I think the guy in the video is confusing those who train no-gi BJJ with those who do other grappling styles and immediately assume they should have equivalent rank in no-gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 3:39am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In as much as you can be a 'black belt' in SixSigma...'black belt' can be a perfectly instructive term for ranking, it's just quicker than saying "my relative jits skill and knowledge is equivalent to someone of black belt rank".

I know what he means, and suspect I know why he phrased it all like he did, but I agree with the notion that 'you have to be in the system' when talking about BJJ rank (as opposed to other grappling, as elipson alluded to.

Tying it to clothes so much though is silly.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast