Style
    Kempo Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finding a gym in my area

Hey everyone, I've posted on here before about cross training and now I'm back for some more insight.

On my last post I explained what art I was training in and who I was training under and was asking for cross-training advice. Well, since then, I have learned that Kempo isn't for me; apparently getting my ass kicked by a small 85 year old grandpa and memorizing katas in the dark while he was constantly calling me "Daniel-san" wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. So today I have come to you, once again, for training advice.

I live in Pensacola, Florida near Bellview and currently a sophomore in high school. I have done quite a bit of research myself on some dojos and gyms but 90% of the time it either ends up being TKD, a McDojo that's just looking to bleed me dry, or some random guys house that I'm pretty sure is a rapist. I'm looking for something that is practical and easy to apply to a real world situation in public or at school while at the same time be physically challenging and help me get stronger and healthy. BJJ is good but I need to be able to sustain myself while standing up instead of having to go straight to the ground. My area code is 32526 and the farthest I am willing to travel is 20 minutes due to a tight schedule so if you have any suggestions please post them and thanks again for the advice.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're in Florida so you can throw a rock and hit a decent MMA or BJJ school these days. Failing that, try Judo.

Apparently Wanderlei Silva has a school there. Do that. Much punch. So head kick. Very stomp.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-72184964...-gym-pensacola

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Casting a vote for judo. Wish I'd started at your age instead of spending so much time on kata and one/two steps.

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're a high school student, how tight is your schedule?

Do BJJ, or judo.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No HS wrestling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go do cross country and judo.

You're welcome.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to live in gulf breeze, up here right now for the holidays. I'm pretty sure the silva school is closed. There's not a lot around here and the town is so spread out you're liable to be more than twenty minutes from a school. I'd check out Gracie downtown for some bjj. I know there's a judo school around town not sure where you'llhave to google. I'm not sure why so many people suffer from the misconception that a bjj guy can only fight on the ground and will bring every fight there. I run into this a lot in FMA circles. If you know how to fight on the ground you will know how to escape and regain your standup position. if you don't practice ground fighting, once you are taken down you won't have. the skill to get back up

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The learning curve for ground fighting is long. If I could set the clock back I'd start there, preferably with high school wrestling and Judo. Being able to dictate where the fight takes place is an awesome attribute for a fighter.