Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2013 4:38pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning Muay Thai: A Hobbit's perspective

A two weeks ago I posted about starting Muay Thai as someone with no (useful) martial arts experience. I've tried to update that thread several times to no avail, so I decided to move the discussion over here (since at this point it's more about technique anyways).

I've been to a total of four classes at this point (I'm going twice a week right now), and my enjoyment of Muay Thai has only increased. I've experienced a lot more sparring, and learned some of the basics of the Thai clinch and knee strikes (I swear that holding the pads for someone practicing kneeing in the clinch is one of the scariest things I have ever done. Having thirty seconds of full-force knees less than two feet from your face is unnerving to say the least).

I have experienced one problem though. I'm short. Like really short. At 5'7" I am the shortest person at my gym by a good four inches. This leads to situations where I have sparring partners that can tap me on the head while still being a good 3-4 inches out of my reach. I wonder how this is effecting my technique, as I find myself focusing mostly on leg kicks rather the knees, punches, and elbows simply because it is the only type of strike I have a decent chance of landing.

That being said, I did have an amazing sparring experience with a guy who was well over 6' and 200lbs last time I went. Since I'm pretty new, most people are pretty gentle with me, and don't press me too hard. Not this guy. He came in fast and aggressive. I think that is the biggest gift he could have given to me. He didn't hit hard (we were only going about 10% at the time), but he was really fast. Then he stopped a few times and gave me a few suggestions about moving around an opponents guard and the like. By the end of the round I had been able to get in under his guard for a few body shots, and caught a few kicks which allowed me to land a few of my own on his ribs. I think I learned more during that three minute round than I did during the entire rest of the class (and I learned a lot there too). I think not going to slow and easy on me was really the nicest and most awesome thing he could have done.

tl;dr Muay Thai is awesome, being a Hobbit can really suck, and please sparring partners don't hold back too much because when you don't I learn a lot faster.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/27/2013 8:32pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry dude, I moved this thread here. This is not an advanced striking issue. BTW the average height for a person in Thailand is 5'6". I think you're fine. It just takes time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2013 8:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. The issue is that everyone at the gym I train at is significantly larger than I am. It does make things interesting though.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/27/2013 9:18pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another reason your other thread might not have gotten a lot of replies is that all your posts have to be approved by a moderator until you get to a certain point. I'll try to keep up with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2013 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I tried to post a bit about diet changes and stuff but it didn't go through. Any chance the two threads could be merged?

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 1:42am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your technique will just get better, you will develop great leg work, moving in and out of range of taller people. If you want to develop your punching better, either ask after class for someone to spar with you only boxing, that way you can get some practice using your hands, or, go to a boxing gym additionally, that way you will have an advantage over those tall guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 2:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training with taller opponents is probably a good idea for me, as I am one of those people that has a naturally heavy build. I can't really go much below 150lbs without feeling really weak.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 5:00am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 5'6 myself, fighting the big guys sucks major ass, but you get used to it.

IMO you're right about leg kicks, chop them down to your level.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 10:36am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Training with taller opponents is probably a good idea for me, as I am one of those people that has a naturally heavy build. I can't really go much below 150lbs without feeling really weak.
    OMG your obese. You fatty fat fat (Sarcasm intended).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    OMG your obese. You fatty fat fat (Sarcasm intended).
    Heh. It's not that I'm all that heavy, it's that a lot of MT guys are really lean. That means that a lot of people in my weight class are going to have a longer reach than I do.

I'm definitely going to try to do some hands only sparring so I can get better at getting inside, and I'm going to try to seek out a taller partner the next time we do clinch drills.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast