Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    10/27/2013 10:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Actually I think he was talking to me. This is where I started teaching myself leg locks before hooking up with a SAMBO group.
    Well not so much to you but it is pretty damn awesome story and this thread of course is all the more complete with the subtle-ish reference to it.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 10:08am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great job.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 12:46pm

Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was a great read, I really enjoyed it being a fan of both MMA and Pro Wrestling myself. I think Shooto is possibly the longest running MMA promotion in the world originally being founded around a year or 2 before Pancrase.

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to see modern MMA in a ring, with breaks for touching the rope.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was a great read, I really enjoyed it being a fan of both MMA and Pro Wrestling myself. I think Shooto is possibly the longest running MMA promotion in the world originally being founded around a year or 2 before Pancrase.
    They started hosting amateur fights in the mid-80's and began hosting professional fights by 1989. For a promotion that started so early, it resembles modern MMA much more than the UFC or Pancrase did years later. Apparently when the Unified Rules were implemented in America and gloves became mandatory, hardcore fans thought the UFC was turning into "Shooto USA." Five more videos now:

Rumina Sato seems almost superhuman for the era he fought in (Or perhaps any era). People went cockshit after Toby Imada and Richard Hale pulled off inverted flying triangles in Bellator a few years back, but Sato was doing that **** in 1995.

Erik Paulson, another fighter far ahead of his time. Shooto's implementation of weight classes really allowed the lighter fighters to flourish back when both the UFC and Pancrase still thought openweight was fair. Here he is fighting Olympic Judo bronze medalist Ben Spijkers.

Shooto also hosted Vale Tudo Japan, the events that allowed Rickson Gracie to showcase his skills and Yuki Nakai to showcase his inhumanly erudite balls. True to its name, the event used a Vale Tudo ruleset and was thus a lot more permissive than regular Shooto.

The Lumax Cup also seemed to be a related event. The Inoue brothers, Tsuyoshi Kosaka, and Akihiro Gono got their start there among others.

Satoru "Tiger Mask" Sayama was a wrestling ultralegend and the founder of Shooto. He liked to put on demonstrations showing the audience the full arsenal of techniques shoot fighters have at their disposal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 10:13am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post

Satoru "Tiger Mask" Sayama was a wrestling ultralegend and the founder of Shooto. He liked to put on demonstrations showing the audience the full arsenal of techniques shoot fighters have at their disposal.

Sayama is a legend of Pro Wrestling (he popularized high flying Junior/Cruiserweight, Light Heavyweight wrestlng in Japan) plus some success in Shoot Wrestling but in actual legit combat sport, he had more success as a trainer than he had as a fighter, I've found 2 bouts he had one was grappling against a Judoka and a kickboxing bout, and he got outclassed in both.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental Fist View Post
    he had more success as a trainer than he had as a fighter
    I remember watching a vid of Sayama training his guys- he was beating them with shinai and kicking them hard and shrieking in Japanese. Seemed excessive to me but I know serious Japanese training culture can be intense.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rumina Sato seems almost superhuman for the era he fought in (Or perhaps any era). People went cockshit after Toby Imada and Richard Hale pulled off inverted flying triangles in Bellator a few years back, but Sato was doing that **** in 1995.
    i am lucky enough to have been able to see rumina fight in person. unfortunately it was at the end of his career and he got smashed by lion takeshi.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nathan Jones vs. Koji Kitao in Pride 1.

I remember watching one of the old UFCs where Koji Kitao fights a guy from a Korean style. Koji takes a punch to the nose and quits, something I'd never seen happen in MMA. I remember thinking at the time that it seems like more guys would do that, because being punched in the nose fucking sucks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast