Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 9:31am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    The production design in general was really underwhelming and half-arsed, I thought. Awesome glowing valves and relays should have abounded, but instead it was this completely generic Hollywood SciFi ****. The whole thing went to basically tedious action-mode after the first half and other than the train bit the choreography was crap.
    Same for me. I liked the set up but the action sequences where pretty poor, particularly the later scenes.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 12:18pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not too up on how Captain America was portrayed in the actual WW2 era comics...my problem with how he's coming off in the movies relates more to my understanding of him from the 70's on...he was supposed to be this amazing combatant who was a master of combat arts (it was the 70's after all). I mean, he was always supposed to be stronger and faster than a typical man, but not really superhuman...the real power he had was in his fighting ability. In the comics he could come out on top against actual supervillains because he was THAT GOOD.

In the first movie they juice him up with the super soldier serum (which is inline with origin story), then he spends a big chunk of time as a figurehead. They don't really show him training as a real soldier...he just runs off to do it. (At least that's my recollection). They go on to a montage of him fighting Hydra and Nazis, but it doesn't amount to a whole lot. In the Avengers, Tony Stark says something to the effect of 'everything special about you came out of a bottle', or words to that effect. If all u knew was the movie version of Cap that comment sorta rings true.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hold up, where was GSP?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they really should've spent some time on his training. We saw him struggling in boot camp before he got the serum, and that was pretty much it. It felt like there were some major scenes missing in between the time he spent as a mascot and the time he spent fighting HYDRA.

A lot of superhero origin movies have this problem where the first half is a well-done character story and the second half devolves into action schlock, because it's mandatory that the hero has to square off against a villain even if they don't have time to develop that part of the story. Captain America: The First Avenger probably illustrated that the best.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Marvel's got, like, six TV shows planned: Cloak and Dagger, The Punisher, Mockingbird, Jessica Jones, Agent Carter (From the Captain America movie), and the Hulk.

My hope is that all these shows are handled poorly and that the genre goes brutally out-of-style, relegating superheroes to children and socially-impotent melvins once again. Then I can finally be at peace reading unbought back issues of Adam Warlock in the failing comic book store forty minutes from where I live.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 3:43am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    The thing I remember and ejnoy the most was Captain America kicking nazi ass; to me, that was his purpose in life.

Hydra and the Red Skull have always been Captain America (and Shield's) main enemies. Without Hydra and the Red Skull, you can't have Crossbones (who showed up in the trailer) as well as a lot of different technologies that exist as core parts of the Marvel Universe because of Hydra.

Also, I get the problem with the altered role of the Cosmic Cube, but I think that can be pretty easily explained by the fact that the movie universe seems to be almost completely devoid of magic. In the comics, the Asgardians are actually gods. In the movies, they are just really advanced aliens/. Given everything else in the movies, a wish-fulfilling Cosmic Cube would probably have felt out of place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 8:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Yeah, they really should've spent some time on his training. We saw him struggling in boot camp before he got the serum, and that was pretty much it. It felt like there were some major scenes missing in between the time he spent as a mascot and the time he spent fighting HYDRA.

A lot of superhero origin movies have this problem where the first half is a well-done character story and the second half devolves into action schlock, because it's mandatory that the hero has to square off against a villain even if they don't have time to develop that part of the story. Captain America: The First Avenger probably illustrated that the best.
    True, and it's hard to pack all of that into a single movie no matter which way you cut it. I just don't get the same sense of him being CAPABLE that I was hoping to see. In the comics he always gets a ton of respect from other characters...he's a living legend. It just seems there should have been some way to convey that in the movies, but I'm not getting it (except some of the hero worship from Coulson).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 8:19am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Marvel's got, like, six TV shows planned: Cloak and Dagger, The Punisher, Mockingbird, Jessica Jones, Agent Carter (From the Captain America movie), and the Hulk.

My hope is that all these shows are handled poorly and that the genre goes brutally out-of-style, relegating superheroes to children and socially-impotent melvins once again. Then I can finally be at peace reading unbought back issues of Adam Warlock in the failing comic book store forty minutes from where I live.
    Non-failed comic book stores are a rare sight in my neck of the woods! I do find some at half-price books, though...

I've been kinda liking the Agents of Shield show, if only because it's a regular fix of comic book action...I'm interested in how the characters end up fleshing out (actors typically try to hard at the beginning of a series, it seems to me, so you gotta wait until they settle down to get a real sense of it). I like the idea of the movie tie-ins with it to...maybe a show like this could have allowed for more backstory for Cap before the Big Show...

So, Marvel has six more independent shows planned, all running concurrently? I think that would be a bit of overkill...the hardcore fans might dig it, but others will get saturated pretty quickly with that much content IMHO...

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 6:06pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what you're talking about. They clearly showed his training and experience in this montage:

He even references this when he rescues the soldiers and they question his abilities: "I've knocked out Hitler over 200 times!"

What? All that dance choreography has to make him at least as well-trained as the average McDojo student. That + Soopersoldier Serum = The Fighting American. Errr, so to speak...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My hope is that all these shows are handled poorly and that the genre goes brutally out-of-style, relegating superheroes to children and socially-impotent melvins once again.
    I can count the successful superhero shows on one hand, but would need Fu Manchu's abacus to count the failed ones.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast