Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Deer Report 2014

What with all the tragic and not-so-tragic BS and stupidity going on in the world right now, I thought I'd try to share my happy place with all of you.

So far this hunting season, my 11 year old son has shot his first big game animal, a nice Whitetail Deer (Odocoileus virginianus). He was holding out for a shot at a buck, and got one, but missed on his first ever shot at a deer. We found the same spike again, but didn't get a shot. After another couple of weeks he decided he wanted backstrap more than he wanted antlers, so... (images from my pseudo-smart phone)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sky First Deer with Tully.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	16491

We slipped into to the edge of an alfalfa field about an hour before dark. After a very close encounter with a group of teenage does, this one came into view about 120 yards away across the narrow part of the field (it's surrounded by woods). She somehow "made us", despite camouflage and wind in our favor, but decided to come closer to check us out.

She walked into a dip in the field, so my boy had time to set up and get the rifle on his knees and wait for her to reappear. She did, and he made a perfect shot on her at about 90 yards, quartering slightly to him and a little up hill. She did a kind of back flip and was dead.

Name:	Sky First Deer With Rifle 2014.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	16492

For the technically inclined, that's a 90s vintage NEF Handi-Rifle in .223 Remington. Scope is a 80's vintage Leopold 1-4 x20 that I took off of my .375 H&H. I had to get a NEF youth stock from Brownells so it would fit him.

Ammo was Federal Fushion 62 gr. softpoint. The bullet broke the front shoulder, punched through a rib, blew off the top of the heart, punched through another rib on the far side, and was recovered under the skin. Pretty amazing !

It's difficult to describe how proud I am of him, how he comported himself while we hunted, his safe weapon handling, and the lack of tv-inspired hunting-show hoopla when he made the shot and the doe went down.

Backstrap for dinner tonight, thawing on the counter-top as I type.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Report 2 (from Saturday, November 22, 2014)

Today we went out to find a deer for my son's best friend (who is 15 years old). His Dad shoots, but does not hunt at all. My two boys and I and he were together when he got his first deer last year, a very large Whitetail doe.

This year, we went into the woods to still hunt. The rut is on (breeding season for you non-hunters), so the buck are out chasing does. We headed into the wind and didn't see anything, but at first we did spook some does downwind of us (they made that funny "sheeshing" noise at us from heavy cover.

After another hour of quietly moving upwind, we got into very thick cover. We got up on a large herd of elk (Wapiti) that were bedded down, but, no longer elk season so no shooting. Heading across wind from there, my youngest son (9) spotted some deer about 150 yards away. Turned out to be a nice buck with some does. We hadn't spooked them, but no chance for a shot (I could have made it, but wanted him to have a chance). We headed downwind and across a steep draw (think dry creek valley) and then back upwind on the small ridge.

I spotted the does at the far end of a clearing...one had spotted the top of my head, but they didn't spook.

Then we commenced to belly and knee crawl stalk for about 20 minutes. We finally got to where I thought we could see them. Then I spotted them about 40 yards away in the thick brush, straight downhill from us !

We were pretty much pinned down, so we back up and sat there. Within minutes, 2 does walked out, headed downwind, about 120 yards away. I got him to set up with the rifle on his knees and get pointed at the lead (larger) doe so he could take a shot when she cleared the brush.

Which she did in less than a minute. I had to grunt to get her to stop. He then shot her once at about 100 yards or so, slight quarter away and a little downhill...she jumped up, trotted about 100 yards, walked in a circle and fell over dead.

My boys had been back up the ridge waiting for us to make a shot. Again, no crazy stuff, just "good shot!"

Here they all are. Pardon my younger boys funny face, he's quite the ham...

Name:	Josh First Deer with Sky and Tully 2014.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	16493

For the technically inclined, he used my 70s vintage Ruger 1A 7x57mm Mauser. Handload is Norma brass, CCI primer, 50.5 grains of H414, and a 150 grain Nosler Partition bullet. Scope is a 80s vintage (maybe older) Leopold M8 4x32mm scope. Of course, the bullet passed completely through.

By older boy's doe was a drag of about 400 yards through the field. This one we shot about a mile as the crow flies from the road, with plenty of very steep up and down hill stuff in between us and the truck. So....to start out...

Name:	1122141226a.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	16494

Then finally at the road...pretty steep !

Name:	Josh Deer 2014 Long Way to Top.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	16495

It was a small deer, if he had gotten that buck it would have been carried out in pieces !

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My GF and I went out on Sunday (the 30th)...we were kind of pressed for time. The original plan had been to hunt on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. However, I got really sick on Wednsday, barely survived Thanksgiving (cooked all day, LOL), and crashed on Friday (slept 18 hours or so). I had taken off Friday to go hunting...got sick...argh, burned a vacation day when it should have been a sick day !

Anyway, I was recovered enough from my disease to hunt on Sunday.

Long and short of it, we hunted all day, and just as we sat down at the edge of the woods, I spotted a deer about 300 yards or so away in a low spot in the field. Only approach was to low-crawl across a lumpy, frozen solid alfalfa field. About 150 yards or so at least...

Long and short of it, I got a decent doe, the GF got a small buck (an antlerless one, no less...).

Then we had to drag the out by the light of the half-moon...in the freezing ass cold...how romantic !

Anyway, now it's on to waterfowl hunting with my fanatical boys. Supposed to be cold and raining this coming weekend, should be perfect.

The GF has informed me that she won't be going on those impending adventures. Cold is OK, cold and wet not so good !

Feel free to post your own hunting adventures in this thread.

Oh, wait, I forgot, you are all too busy training...

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now I go home to cook dinner for boys and then process two deer carcasses...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn I love/miss venison. Prohibitively expensive around here, frozen, and imported from New Zealand.
    Meanwhile, there are a bunch that walk up and down my street at night, but it's not legal to hunt them in the suburbs.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Damn I love/miss venison. Prohibitively expensive around here, frozen, and imported from New Zealand.
    Meanwhile, there are a bunch that walk up and down my street at night, but it's not legal to hunt them in the suburbs.
    Hunting is still legal in California, amazingly enough.

Here ya go...
    http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/d.../deerguide.pdf

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes! But not in the suburbs, heh.
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone here who hunts, and I am not a good enough shot to hunt, myself.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Hunting is still legal in California, amazingly enough.

Here ya go...
    http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/d.../deerguide.pdf
    It can be quite cost prohibitive in CA to hunt
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    It can be quite cost prohibitive in CA to hunt
    Can't you drive to the US from most of California pretty easily? Nevada, Arizona, maybe even Oregon?
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Can't you drive to the US from most of California pretty easily? Nevada, Arizona, maybe even Oregon?
    Well depending on where you are in the state maybe.
    For me hitting Los Vegas Nevada isn't too bad, 5-6 hour drive.
    Oregon is out of the question.
    AZ well who the **** wants to go to AZ?

But, from where I am we do have
    Baja CA
    http://www.bajahunting.com/

To give you some sense of scale your still looking at at 5-7 hour drive from San Francisco to the Oregon boarder.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Page 1 of 3 123 Last