• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2013 2:40pm

Style: It's complicated.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo for 25$/Month: The best deal in (Ottawa) town?

If anyone in Ottawa is looking for affordable training, I think I might have stumbled upon the best deal in town:

http://odawajudoclub.com/

https://www.facebook.com/odawajudoclub

It's 25$/month. That's much cheaper than any commercial school I know of in Ottawa and even cheaper than most programs run by the city and/or community centers! The fees are so low because it's an official Judo Ontario non-profit club.

I tried it out on Tuesday and here's what we did during the 1.5-hour session:

-stretching, running, warmup exercises
    -line drills: breakfalls and shrimping
    -line drills: entries for throws + actual throws
    -basic sweeps / trips from standing
    -newaza chokes, pins & submissions
    -new people: practicing newaza chokes & submissions on compliant ukes / experienced people: fully resistant newaza randori
    -fully resistant randori / shiai from standing position
    -cool down exercises

I liked it a lot! The instructor is very nice and he wasn't uptight about letting me use my BJJ gi for training. For people who don't have their own gi, he has a bunch of used gis you can borrow for training. If you want to buy one of the use gis, he'll charge you 20-30$ for the jacket, pants and belt and, because it's a non-profit club, the money goes back into the club.

The club is run out of a very large, very clean, very bright church basement in downtown Ottawa. The entire training area was matted with clean mats that were in great shape (no tears or divets or duct-tape bits and pieces). There are large, clean changing rooms for men and women (respectively). The club is obviously affiliated with Judo Ontario and Judo Canada, plus I get the impression it's affiliated with Takahashi Dojo since the Odawa site includes Takahashi in its links and since there are pics of the Odawa members doing training clinics at Takahashi.

The only other thing you have to pay for is your registration with Judo Ontario once per season; the fees vary depending on your age and whether or not you want to compete but they're all pretty reasonable (and this is coming from a frugal guy).

I'm going to stick with it for a while and post a full review after a few more training sessions. If you know anyone who's looking to do martial arts in Ottawa without breaking the bank, please pass along the info!
    Last edited by Keej613; 10/24/2013 3:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 10:05am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many adults are training there on average? I tried it out when he first moved into that location and it was just a few children no adults. I was litterally doing randori with 12 year olds (obviously I didnt last long). The RA Centre is about $40 a month and has a good turn out in the adult classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about average because I've only been once but there were a few adults, a few youths and some kids when I was there. There were a few prospective adult students sitting on the sidelines checking it out while I was there, too. I don't know about all of them but I heard one guy tell the sensei that he was signing up and would be at the next lesson.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 12:46pm

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how the sensei puts up his credentials without sounding pompous, not that I'd mind some cool looking dan rankings ;)

But his put his years, school of training and current experience which what I think every teacher should do. If only there was a place this good in judo in Kenya :(

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 2:34pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk_ View Post
    I like how the sensei puts up his credentials without sounding pompous, not that I'd mind some cool looking dan rankings
    As far as I can tell, Ottawa has a lot of good judo for a city this size. The Takahashi dojo has been around since Christ was a white belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2014 2:53pm

Style: Aikido, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    As far as I can tell, Ottawa has a lot of good judo for a city this size. The Takahashi dojo has been around since Christ was a white belt.
    if I'm ever in Canada, will definitely tour the Judo scene, check taka and this place too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2014 7:02am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    The Takahashi's split. Tina opened her own dojo with her husband Sean. Making it harder to choose where to train Judo in Ottawa but its a good problem to have!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2014 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xstyle View Post
    The Takahashi's split. Tina opened her own dojo with her husband Sean. Making it harder to choose where to train Judo in Ottawa but its a good problem to have!
    Takahashi Dojo & Tina Tak both have exceptional programs according to everything I've heard and seen so, IMO, it's probably just a question of cost, location and scheduling since you can't really lose with either spot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2014 1:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goju, mma, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey keej, don't have enough posts yet to message you (the mods napping or something and not approving posts not helping in that regard!), but was wondering what is meant on the odawa schedule webpage by the "2013-2014 season" ending Jun12th? Do you guys have a long break before picking up again? I tried emailing but got bounced. Haven't recieved a reply back yet after leaving a phone message either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2014 8:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thehonestone View Post
    Hey keej, don't have enough posts yet to message you (the mods napping or something and not approving posts not helping in that regard!), but was wondering what is meant on the odawa schedule webpage by the "2013-2014 season" ending Jun12th? Do you guys have a long break before picking up again? I tried emailing but got bounced. Haven't recieved a reply back yet after leaving a phone message either.
    I'm surprised the sensei hasn't gotten back to you already but, long story short, the school closes for the summer and starts up again in September.