Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2013 2:29pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    I had a couple of years training in using and diagnosing X-rays. Nowhere near as intensive as what radiographers get, but it gets the job done for the purpose I use them for and easily on level with what local doctors get. I use them to determine the effects of old trauma, degree of arthritic degeneration and possible structural defects which might have an impact on my treatment plan and the patient's prognosis. I would not X-ray an asthma patient. There would be Little point. You can't see it on X-rays and I can't treat it, although I can treat rib dysfunctions brought on by asthmatic attacks.

I see something on an X-ray I do not like and suspect to be pathological, I ask the nice radiographer Down the road for a second opinion. Sent a lady Down there with a possible undiagnosed lung tumour the other day, her lung looked scary to me.

To be honest, I do use laser therapy but I'm not officially trained in it, I just had my colleagues train me. It's actually surprisingly helpful for inflammatory tendon injuries, but it doesn't excite me to use that much and I'm not really that good at it either.

Other tools commonly found in chiropractic practices are ultrasound machines for diagnosing soft tissue injuries (saves a million years around here - get your chiropractor to US your possible rotator cuff tear instead of waiting for an MRI or US referral from your doctor), TENS machines treating muscle tone with electricity (doesn't Work for me, weak evidence supporting it) and therapeutic ultrasound (never used it much, prefer to just touch people.) Many chiropractors also use dry needling, which is what western Medical folk call accupuncture in order to feel less embarrassed about it, only less sorcerous.

I do not practice homeopathy. I'm not a practitioner of alternative medicine.
    Thanks for your insights!

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 1:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a practitioner of alternative medicine.
    This directly contradicts why you wrote in the very first sentence of post # 8. Yes, it does.

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 1:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    This directly contradicts why you wrote in the very first sentence of post # 8. Yes, it does.
    Not necessarily, in fact he clearly says "Why not both?" which would hardly be an alternative.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 3:49pm

Style: MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    I've been practicing as a chiropractor for about a year at present.
    I'm not a practitioner of alternative medicine.
    By definition, if you are a chiropractor you are a practitioner of alternate medicine. Much like if an ear-candler claimed not to practice alternative medicine, the claim really doesn't change the reality of the situation. Chiropracty is not based on our modern understanding of medical science. Even when chiropractors use medical terms like subluxation, the meaning of the term differs substantially between mainstream medicine and chiropracty. The fact is that if I was to see five different chiropracters about a sore back I would get five different diagnosis.

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 4:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave View Post
    By definition, if you are a chiropractor you are a practitioner of alternate medicine.
    No, there are many chiropractors who do not fall under the alternative medicine label.
    They are referred to as complementary healthcare providers.

Just because an outdated etiology exists, doesn't mean that all chiros subscribe to it, nor does it mean that all chiros automatically behave or bill themselves as alternative medicine.

There are many analogous examples of this in PT and other forms of medicine and therapy.
    "Perfect form" in exercise or structure based pain management for "non-red flag" LBP, or the Cartesian pain model itself, just for a few...

Heck, you want a bone to pick, let's talk about Dr. Oz...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 5:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    No, there are many chiropractors who do not fall under the alternative medicine label.
    They are referred to as complementary healthcare providers.

Just because an outdated etiology exists, doesn't mean that all chiros subscribe to it, nor does it mean that all chiros automatically behave or bill themselves as alternative medicine.
    Complementary medicine by definition refers to using a alternative (not supported by mainstream science) approach together with conventional medicine. According to the merriam webster dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ive%20medicine) alternative medicine is defined as:

Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    any of various systems of healing or treating disease (as homeopathy, chiropractic, naturopathy, Ayurveda, or faith healing) that are not included in the traditional curricula taught in medical schools of the United States and Britain.
    Chiropractic treatment is used as an example of the definition of Alternative Medicine. Sure not all chiropractors believe in subluxations, but the fact is that the treatment that chiropractors provide, as well as their methods of diagnosis do not correspond with modern medicine. Cracking someones joints does not have any medical basis as a treatment. Spinal manipulation is used willy-nilly in situations where there is no evidence to support its use as therapy. Whether or not a chiropractor believes in subluxations and innate intelligence, they are still practitioners of alternative medicine by virtue of being chiropractors.

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 5:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're being a dumbass.
    Alternative /= complement.

Here:
    Use in the United States

In the United States, chiropractic is often considered a complementary health practice. According to the 2007 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), which included a comprehensive survey of the use of complementary health practices by Americans, about 8 percent of adults (more than 18 million) and nearly 3 percent of children (more than 2 million) had received chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation in the past 12 months. Additionally, an analysis of NHIS cost data found that adults in the United States spent approximately $11.9 billion out-of-pocket on visits to complementary health practitioners�$3.9 billion of which was spent on visits to practitioners for chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation.

Many people who seek chiropractic care have low-back pain. People also commonly seek chiropractic care for other kinds of musculoskeletal pain (e.g., neck, shoulder), headaches, and extremity (e.g., hand or foot) problems.

An analysis of the use of complementary health practices for back pain, based on data from the 2002 NHIS, found that chiropractic was by far the most commonly used therapy. Among survey respondents who had used any of these therapies for their back pain, 74 percent (approximately 4 million Americans) had used chiropractic. Among those who had used chiropractic for back pain, 66 percent perceived "great benefit" from their treatments.
    (my bold)
    http://nccam.nih.gov/health/chiropra...troduction.htm

Also from the NIH:

"Complementary" generally refers to using a non-mainstream approach together with conventional medicine.

"Alternative" refers to using a non-mainstream approach in place of conventional medicine.
    http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're being a dumbass.
    Alternative /= complement.
    Well at least we can agree that the definitions for both complementary medicine and alternative medicine involve treatment that is not supported by mainstream medical science. Whether chiropracty is used in conjunction with mainstream medicine, the fact is that the core of chiropractic treatment ranks alongside iridology in terms of scientific support.

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 6:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kave View Post
    Well at least we can agree that the definitions for both complementary medicine and alternative medicine involve treatment that is not supported by mainstream medical science. Whether chiropracty is used in conjunction with mainstream medicine, the fact is that the core of chiropractic treatment ranks alongside iridology in terms of scientific support.

Oh i see, you're a drooling fucktard.

Let's see now, do i have your idiocy about correct?

"Manipulation = A-ok, becose scoience and Medicine!
    Adjustment = NO! Psuedo-scoience quackery becose Chiro!
    Grade V Mobilization = Well, ok becose scoience and medicine, I think...
    HVLA = WTF?"

I think that about sums up what you're presenting.

Also *cough cough* Dr Oz *cough cough*...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 6:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh i see, you're a drooling fucktard.
    If you want to be treated by witch-doctors I am not going to discourage you, I don't even care if you want to believe in leprechauns. Personally I believe in medical treatments that have been proven to be more effective than placebos in double-blind medical trials published in reputable journals, but I don't expect you to share my viewpoint.

I am not too sure what you are saying about Dr Oz. From googling him I can see that he is a guy with his own TV show (apparently some spin-off from Oprah), and that he directs the Complementary Medicine Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital. I am not really a connoisseur of daytime TV, so if you are trying to make a point you probably need to be more specific.

Looking at your profile I can see that you are an acupuncture student, so I guess you have a vested interest in magical thinking.
    Last edited by Kave; 10/30/2013 7:00pm at .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast