Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2013 3:04pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    I've been practicing as a chiropractor for about a year at present. Trained in Europe, which is somewhat different from the American variety. My opinion on a "chiro vs physio" debate is "why not both?" I see many people from local physios that they can't improve by themselves as they lack either the more in-depth orthopaedic knowledge concerning spinal problems or the manipulative skills to correct them and myself Work closely with the physio attached to the Clinic I Work in. Between a good physio and chiropractor, there's really not much in the way of joint pain that can't be alleviated to at least some degree, dependig on the age and degree of damage to the patient.

I agree with Krijgsman. In my opinion, the chiropractic and physiotherapist professions should be merged and we'd have musculoskeletal practitioners adept at rehabilitating chronic injuries as well as diagnosing and manipulating more acute joint injuries like chiropractors are able to.

It's bullshit to Award people "x amount" of chiropractic sessions. It's Akin to awarding people 6 gallbladder surgeries. You Consult a chiropractor when you have a musculoskeletal problem you want solved, it's not a bleedin' massage service.
    I was hoping an actual Chiro would chime in. I know my mother-in-law has had some Chiros she wouldn't ever recommend, and there have been others that she considered going into business with, they were that good. Going together seems smartest.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    10/22/2013 4:30pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skeptics dictionary on Chiropractic medicine : http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

Skeptical consumer report on Chiro : http://www.csicop.org/si/show/skepti...ractic_claims/

What happened, when a British Journalist called Simon Singh, called 'Shenanigans' on the BCA : http://www.dcscience.net/?p=1980

Follow up article : http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.UmbtTxAX600

Yeah...

Go to a physical therapist.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Posted On:
    10/22/2013 10:21pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I would be very wary about making decisions about your health based on internet anecdote(s). Hell, you should be very wary of decisions based on any anecdote(s). Even things that are dangerous absolute nonsense appear to work for some people some of the time.

2. Chiro's foundational beliefs of subluxations is roughly equal to having some sort of magic ghosts in your spine that Chiros exorcise out via snap crackle pop. Many modern chiros do not practice even close to this way, but there are many who still do.

3. In my observations and experience, on the whole Physios and Chiros both tend to be very stuck in the past on a lot of red herrings and thoroughly disproved or unproved concepts. Anyone with medical training, research literacy, and good clinical reasoning will be helpful regardless of their title. I know a good number of people in both professions who I consider friends and colleagues. My criticism is almost certainly a reflection of their opinions as well.

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 12:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Is veterinary chiropractic recognized in Europe?
    Only if the pets in question are invertebrates.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 8:27am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It freaks me out that many chiros (in my area, at least) recommend chiro treatments for infants.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 9:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Only if the pets in question are invertebrates.

My snake wasn't feeling well, but when I took her in for a back adjustment, the chiro tried to charge me by the foot. And it wasnt covered by my insurance. So, now I'm thinking maybe a high colonic cleansing would help her, or maybe Reiki.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    My snake wasn't feeling well, but when I took her in for a back adjustment, the chiro tried to charge me by the foot. And it wasnt covered by my insurance. So, now I'm thinking maybe a high colonic cleansing would help her, or maybe Reiki.
    Save the high-volume jalapeno colonic for thyself--you should've demanded a freebie.

Everyone knows that--being unAmerican (read metric)--snakes don't have any feet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 3:45pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aromatherapy perhaps?

Angelology?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 4:11pm

Style: Judo, jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am cautious when it comes to chiropractors. My attitude has always been that I'm sure there are ones who are legit, but there's a lot of snake oil out there. Now, when I did something weird to my upper back last fall after taking a HARD fall in a judo tournament I thought at first that I had pulled a muscle. Hurt like hell. I went to my (very good) massage therapist a few times and didn't get more than temporary relief, at which point she said "I think you should see a chiropractor and mine is REALLY good. Since I know and trust her I was willing to give it a shot. She thought (and the chiropractor agreed) that I had knocked a rib joint out of whack in my upper spine near the shoulder blades. One appt for evaluation, one to fix it, (took about 30 sec) and one follow up. Fixed for good. It bugged me a bit a few months later and I got one of the guys in class to crack my back, which relieved it.

A physical therapist might well have helped, but I'm pretty confident a dr would have just handed me a prescription for muscle relaxants and told me to rest it. Totally useless.

Erika

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 6:31pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Terrier View Post
    I am cautious when it comes to chiropractors. My attitude has always been that I'm sure there are ones who are legit, but there's a lot of snake oil out there. Now, when I did something weird to my upper back last fall after taking a HARD fall in a judo tournament I thought at first that I had pulled a muscle. Hurt like hell. I went to my (very good) massage therapist a few times and didn't get more than temporary relief, at which point she said "I think you should see a chiropractor and mine is REALLY good. Since I know and trust her I was willing to give it a shot. She thought (and the chiropractor agreed) that I had knocked a rib joint out of whack in my upper spine near the shoulder blades. One appt for evaluation, one to fix it, (took about 30 sec) and one follow up. Fixed for good. It bugged me a bit a few months later and I got one of the guys in class to crack my back, which relieved it.

A physical therapist might well have helped, but I'm pretty confident a dr would have just handed me a prescription for muscle relaxants and told me to rest it. Totally useless.

Erika
    This is very similar to my experience, though I had a fairly significant back injury that has stuck with me. If I don't do my exercises regularly (from a physical therapist) I'm more at risk to tweak it...chiro for me helps speed up recovery when it's pretty aggravated. My regular doc would just do muscle relaxants and rest, so it would take forever!

My guy is pretty good at sticking to what he does best (musculoskeletal issues), but I've seen plenty that go off the tracks to run up revenue...LOTS of worthless "therapies", selling dietary supplements, claiming to treat everything under the sun (including neurological disorders, adjusting infants, etc.), and so on. It's definitely a looser profession than other medical types I've encountered, IMO.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast