Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to Martial Arts (and Bullshido)

(skip to the bullets if you don't care for the introduction)

Hi everyone, I'm a 21 years old male; and I'm new to the whole martial arts scene (unless you count 2 years of high school wrestling hahaha). I'm also relatively new to the whole posting on forums; so I apologize if I sound too formal or robotic. Personality wise, I would say I'm pretty calm and quiet, I don't tend to get angry very often. Physically, I am 5'10", 147 lbs. I live in the Seattle, Washington area(it has been pretty foggy these past few weeks). My hobbies would include hiking, swimming, freediving (hoping to start spearfishing next spring/summer), just outdoor activities. That's not to say I don't enjoy playing video games(minecraft, LoL, Battlefield, etc.). I've been told that I have a dry sense of humor, but I don't mind the occasional fart jokes haha.

I planned to write my questions in there, but I felt that no one would read it(since I didn't feel like reading it either). I'm just looking for recommendations, since all of their websites are from 1999, I wasn't sure which ones were serious.

So here's a a summary: -I want to look for a kempo school around the Seattle(Seatac) area
    -I want it to be physically demanding(I like pushing my limits)
    -I don't mind an impersonal environment
    -no bs
    -I can't think of anything else atm, I'll edit once I remember.

Also, some extra questions
    -Alternative martial art, for security guard usage.
    -I had a lot more questions, but brain fart. Will edit when I remember.

I would be more than glad to go more in-depth, since I seem to be lacking a lot of information.

Thank you for reading this, Bullies(that sounds pretty odd). Hopefully one day I can gain enough experience to venture out of newbietown.

Also, how do I change my profile picture? I can't seem to find out how. Even google didn't help.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to Martial Arts (and Bullshido)

(skip to the bullets if you don't care for the introduction)

Hi everyone, I'm a 21 years old male; and I'm new to the whole martial arts scene (unless you count 2 years of high school wrestling hahaha). I'm also relatively new to the whole posting on forums; so I apologize if I sound too formal or robotic. Personality wise, I would say I'm pretty calm and quiet, I don't tend to get angry very often. Physically, I am 5'10", 147 lbs. I live in the Seattle, Washington area(it has been pretty foggy these past few weeks). My hobbies would include hiking, swimming, freediving (hoping to start spearfishing next spring/summer), just outdoor activities. That's not to say I don't enjoy playing video games(minecraft, LoL, Battlefield, etc.). I've been told that I have a dry sense of humor, but I don't mind the occasional fart jokes haha. I like asking questions, a lot, but I try to look for the answers before I ask.

I planned to write my questions in there, but I felt that no one would read it(since I didn't feel like reading it either). I'm just looking for recommendations, since all of the martial arts websites seem to be from 1999, I wasn't sure which ones were serious.

So here's a a summary of what I'm looking for:
    -I want to look for a kempo school around the Seattle(Seatac) area
    -no bs
    -no mcdojo
    -it would be nice if the pricing is moderate.

-what are the strengths and weaknesses of kempo? ex: lack of groundwork, weak grapple, strong striking, etc.

I would be more than glad to go more in-depth, since I seem to be lacking a lot of information.

Thank you for reading this, Bullies(that sounds pretty odd). Hopefully one day I can gain enough experience to venture out of newbietown.

P.S. How do I change my profile picture? I can't seem to find out how. Even google didn't help.

Style
    Judo, baby! Yeah!
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Spudz. Welcome to BS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatoez View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm a 21 years old male; and I'm new to the whole martial arts scene (unless you count 2 years of high school wrestling hahaha). I'm also relatively new to the whole posting on forums; so I apologize if I sound too formal or robotic.
    Your grammar is excellent, so I shouldn't worry, on that count.

Personality wise, I would say I'm pretty calm and quiet, I don't tend to get angry very often. Physically, I am 5'10", 147 lbs. I live in the Seattle, Washington area(it has been pretty foggy these past few weeks). My hobbies would include hiking, swimming, freediving (hoping to start spearfishing next spring/summer), just outdoor activities. That's not to say I don't enjoy playing video games(minecraft, LoL, Battlefield, etc.). I've been told that I have a dry sense of humor, but I don't mind the occasional fart jokes haha.
    You forgot to include your dislikes and starsign ;)

I planned to write my questions in there, but I felt that no one would read it(since I didn't feel like reading it either). I'm just looking for recommendations, since all of their websites are from 1999, I wasn't sure which ones were serious.

So here's a a summary: -I want to look for a kempo school around the Seattle(Seatac) area
    -no bs
    Hrrmmm, I would yield to the opinion of a more experienced Bully, but I think Kenpo isn't well regarded round here. The important thing to remember, when you're looking for a new school is "Aliveness". What is aliveness? Over to Mr Thornton :

Any school you choose, that subscribes to those criteria, should be worthwhile. I also draw your attention, to the quote by JNP, in my sig.

Judo.

Are you doing Judo yet...?

Seriously, there are LEO's and other security professionals here, who would be more than happy to give you some thoughts.

Also, how do I change my profile picture? I can't seem to find out how. Even google didn't help.
    You won't be able to change your profile pic, unless you buy a supporting membership or get a certain number of posts. I think it's 100, but don't quote me on that.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and infer you posted this twice, in two seperate sub-forums? This is against the TOS of BS, so don't do it. JNP gets grumpy when he was to clean up other people's mess... And you wouldn't like him when he's grumpy...!

If you didn't, disreagrd that.

Other than that, enjoy your stay here...!
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll probably get a bunch of responses for alive arts, so here's a few:
    kyokushin
    judo
    BJJ
    wrestling
    muay thai
    shooto
    sanshou
    some FMA

These will all generally be more physically demanding than kempo, since they will insist that you fight it out in some capacity with your training partners. Lots of kempo places just teach techniques where you are halfheartedly attacked with a scripted attack and you simulate a sequence of eye pokes and dick punches. Learning to struggle against someone who's free to out-think and out-strength you beats training against scripted attacks, generally speaking.

I used to do some spearfishing. Thoughts on that: spearfishers tend to be a secretive bunch- ask where they fish and most of them are super vague, as if you'd go there and spear all the fish. Seattle seems like a cold place to spearfish but if you freedive you know that. I prefer a Hawaiian sling to a speargun cause the smaller spearguns have a really short range anyway, and if you miss with a sling you still have a chance thrusting it as a spear (not so with a normal speargun).

re. your profile pic: I think you need a certain number of posts to add one. You do it by clicking on the Settings link in the upper right corner, then the Change Avatar option on the left.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alternative art for security: Seatown SAMBO

Excellent for security/law enforcement, and fun as hell. Other than that, there's lots of solid BJJ in town, and also some very good Judo. Keith Hill runs a good Kyokushin program over at Seattle University as well.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback! I guess kempo is out of there hahaha. I'll check out some Judo schools around my area; I'm still gathering information on what art piques my interest the most.

Regarding the video; now I get what my wrestling coach meant by he wants to "aliveness".

Looks like I will have to post more frequently, if I want a picture.

I posted twice on accident. How do I delete one?

Oh, my dislikes are celery and Seattle bikers.

I'm a free spirit that don't need no starsign.

Thanks for the welcome!

P.S how do I do those quote thingies?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet! I'll definitely look into those! It should be a lot easier to narrow down to what seems the most interesting.

Until I can get coldwater gear, I won't be swimming anytime these next few months hahaha. I'm planning to start out with a polespear, since it's a lot cheaper. What I'm really hoping to do, is go crabbing down in mukilteo. It looks pretty awesome(I would post a video, but I need 5 posts before I can).

Looks like I'll have to post more frequently if I want a snazzy picture.

Style
    FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido! I haven;t trainrd kenpo or as some call it kempo but I hear mixed reviews. Either way I can't help you with that. If you;re open to trying something different check out my friends at Balintawak Seattle. Balintawak is a Filipino Martial art that uses the stick as a primary training tool, anything you do with the stick translates to empty hand, knife and most other weapons, so it's versatile as an art especially for someone in security or LEOs. IF you need help tracking down these guys let me know, I can help if you're intersted. To , my knowledge masny of these guys come from other martial arts backgrounds some traditional and some more competitive so you should get a good mix of both approaches. IF you lived in Orlando i'd tell you to give me a visit!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all your replies everyone. I think I'll check out the Kyokushin and Seatown SAMBO school first. I would hope to try out different MA in the future. I think it would be nice to compare the different views and teaching between the arts.

I'm hesitant to do Judo and Muay Thai, since I have a friend who does it and I don't want to hear how he was doing it long before me(been friends for a long time; I accept his flaws). Stupid reasons(I'm a unique snowflake), but I'm not bashing on those arts.

As of the moment the striking arts pique my interest. Since I've had no prior experience with striking training, I would like to try it for a short while.

So my questions are:
    -How reputable does nwkickboxing.com seem? The "combatives" seems pretty well rounded; and it's relatively near where I live. I couldn't find any reviews about it. Nor could I find their pricing. I did email them earlier today, so I'm waiting on a reply. Does anyone know how much it costs after the initial trial?
    -What are your opinions on hapkido? (any input is fine)
    -What's your favorite tree? (I like oak trees)
    -Are there any arts that covers all(most/a lot/etc.) of the ranges(ground, close, grapple, etc.)? Or would I have to crosstrain to make up for different strengths and weaknesses?
    -Oh, I was also thinking about savate, it looks pretty fun. (comment not question)

Once again, thank you for all your replies. It was really helpful!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, after looking up some stuff about it, I think I'll take up your offer on tracking them down. It sounds really interesting! It would be awesome if I could watch.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last