228144 Bullies, 4731 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 12:48pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most hilarious thing about these parents is that I know damn well their kids all have twice the grappling skills that they do. That's definitely the case with my son, and I know it.

The core group of kids there train about four times a week religiously and some of them have been at it for a couple years or more. They stay after every class to get more rolling in. I can pretty much guarantee their parents have never put in that kind of mat time. Yet some of them ride their asses relentlessly and act like they've soiled the family name whenever they don't completely dominate their training partner.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 1:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I shock people with my semi-hand off approach. I never played organized football or competed in wrestling. I stfu about both, except their effort. Effort and laziness is universal, so when they appear to be slacking I'll give them ****. I'll remind them of something the coach said, but that is it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 1:54pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I admit, I sometimes find it difficult not to say something. For example, my daughter was in kids MMA class, and she kept going unsuccessfully for a double leg. I couldn't help but suggest that she try one of the throws she's learned in judo instead. Of course, they weren't specifically working that tech (double leg). Of course, when it became clear she didn't want to, I dropped it. After class though I did show her some super basic alternative grips for the judo throws she knows (specifically for nogi).

I also am one of the assistant coaches in her kids judo class. There are times when she's not focused, and I do remind her that we are in judo class. In judo class, we do judo. We don't spin around in circles, we don't dance, we do judo. Of course, I do the same to any of the kids there.

That said, after every class, I make sure to tell her that she did a great job, though occasionally when she has a "rough" class, I'll tell her, you did great when you were doing judo tonight kiddo! You seemed to have some trouble focusing on judo, but when you were focused, you were doing great! We'll keep working it.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 2:16pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Effort and laziness is definitely universal and that's the only thing I tend to get irritated about but I let it ride until after class. In fact, I let everything ride until after class and that's when we discuss things that went well in class and things that need to be improved upon. They enjoy the after-class discussions on the way home.

I know I have insight that helps my kids as I'm sure some of the other parents do, but it's usually related to training strategy instead of technique details. For instance, making sure he rolls with that smaller kid who can outwrestle him and force him to work from his back. Or when there's that one kid that he always catches in a triangle but can never finish - just recognizing that he's missing something and either help him find an answer or get him a private lesson to address it. Things like that.

It doesn't hurt to have someone who is paying attention to every detail of your training because the coaches can't realistically do that, even with three or four of them in a room full of kids. I think it's great for parents to try to help their kids. I just think they should be quiet during class time and let the instructors to their job. And I don't think they should beat the kids up over it either, especially in public.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Effort and laziness aren't the only universals...

First world problems. My eldest is into synchronized swimming. I know jack **** about "synchro," but I swam competitively throughout middle and high school - club level, USA Swimming, JV and Varsity teams.

I know how to put on a swim cap, but some smart-ass mom tried to correct me at a meet, the other day. Well, I showed her - I STFU'd and kept doing it my own weak wannabe-synchro-dad way. I could feel her eyes rolling behind my back. Bitch.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 3:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Effort and laziness aren't the only universals...
    They aren't, no one implied they were, but they are much easier to identify than most. They aren't nuanced like your example below.

I know how to put on a swim cap, but some smart-ass mom tried to correct me at a meet, the other day. Well, I showed her - I STFU'd and kept doing it my own weak wannabe-synchro-dad way. I could feel her eyes rolling behind my back. Bitch.
    LOL. I've seen at least 50 different ways to put on a swim cap. That **** is NEVER universal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 3:12pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've told the kids in judo many times, I don't care if you don't do everything perfect, I care that you're trying. If you're trying, and putting in effort, we'll fix the details as we go. I say the same to my daughter when we're practicing at home, which happens pretty rarely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2014 5:38pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we have far too much drama in our dojo but it's mostly relegated to the kids classes and it almost always stays off the mat. Unfortunately that means our head instructor gets stuck in his office after the kids glass, so we end up Starting adult class w/o him. Heck, one time I had everyone sit quietly in seiza after warmups, walked into the office during a drama session with some parents, and told our instructor we were all warmed up and in seiza waiting for class to start. You'd think the parents in their would take the hint...nope. Teacher had to tell them to go away.

In the plus side, the young black belts that help teach kids class (like 17-21 year olds), are getting really good life experience learning to be diplomatic dealing with stupid parents and still trying to keep their kids away from the drama.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 1:01am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    I say the same to my daughter when we're practicing at home, which happens pretty rarely.
    Sorry for derailing, but do you have training mats and stuff at home?

I'm asking since my kid, who is doing a kids' BJJ class wants to train with me at home...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 11:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah we have a puzzle mats at home which is enough for drilling, and for her to "toss" me (it's not much of a toss when applied against me).
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast