Posted On:
    10/24/2013 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Entralling Omega tale
    What you did and have done is just full of parenting win. You should have that as a class option for the parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2013 2:29pm

Style: Judo, jujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    As an instructor, here's my pet peeve: put your kids into class because they want to be there, not because you want them to be there for whatever reason. There's a difference between a shove to get your kid off the couch and active and forcing him to be somewhere he hates.
    Amen times 3. This is a REAL problem in judo--for anyone unlucky enough to be partnered with the kid who doesn't want to be there. My daughter has complained to me a bunch of times about kids who just flopped around and goofed off instead of actually making some effort. Kind of hard to do judo with a partner who won't even be a good uke. At least in a striking art their apathy is less likely to be a problem for someone else. (as long as they're not actively disruptive.)

Erika

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 10:56pm

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Doesn't matter if Dad is a fearsome black-belted master of whatever, if a kid would rather play Little League, he should be playing Little League.
    I was charged with selling additional lessons to parents when I worked for an eikaiwa in Japan and had a similar attitude when talking to one mother at end-of-year counseling. I told her outright, "Kenichi's a great kid and keeps up fine in class, but he's not interested in English right now."

Of course, suggesting a change in direction to an Asian parent is like trying to stop an express on the Chuo Line with your face. I'll give you one guess who was sitting in the front row of my class the next year. Too bad, really. The kid's a tennis fanatic and the other students said he was really good. Mom wants him to be an international businessman or something, so that's what he'll have to swing for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 3:41pm

Style: Em Tee/JewDough/BeeJayJay

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to print the OT and pass it out to parents in every school, Bullshido or otherwise. :)

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 7:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an outstanding example of how to be a TERRIBLE martial arts parent.

No, bitch. That's not how it's done. At all.
    Last edited by Devil; 11/03/2013 7:59pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 10:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Here's an outstanding example of how to be a TERRIBLE martial arts parent.

No, bitch. That's not how it's done. At all.
    I had one of my kids go to a tournament where the mom's were saying things like "My daughter is going to kick his ass."

My parents couldn't believe the attitude. I told them that's what I hate about a lot of competition.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 10:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I had one of my kids go to a tournament where the mom's were saying things like "My daughter is going to kick his ass."

My parents couldn't believe the attitude. I told them that's what I hate about a lot of competition.
    Well, dude, the proper reaction to that is just to beat them up. I think in little league nowadays they actually cordon off sections of the field before the game starts to give parents a place to fight.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 11:04pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My son went to a NAGA tournament recently. He really wanted to go but it was about three hours away and nobody from his school was going so we knew none of his coaches would be there. Also, I had something else I had to do that day so he knew my wife would have to take him and he would be on his own on the mat. He didn't care. He just wanted to go and have fun.

There was an extremely obnoxious woman there who was bitching at the refs the whole time and talking all kinds of **** to the point that everybody within ear shot was noticing her behavior. My wife said she thinks the woman was the wife of a coach from one of the schools. She said the ref had gone over to try to shut her up at some point.

Anyway, my son's turn comes up to compete against one of her husband's students. My wife goes out to the mat as a spectator so she can video the match. I **** you not....this is what the woman yells at the kid so everyone, including my son can hear. "Don't worry! You've got this! Look, he doesn't even have a coach. He's just got his MOMMY!!!"

My son submitted the kid in less than 20 seconds.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 11:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My son went to a NAGA tournament recently. He really wanted to go but it was about three hours away and nobody from his school was going so we knew none of his coaches would be there. Also, I had something else I had to do that day so he knew my wife would have to take him and he would be on his own on the mat. He didn't care. He just wanted to go and have fun.

There was an extremely obnoxious woman there who was bitching at the refs the whole time and talking all kinds of **** to the point that everybody within ear shot was noticing her behavior. My wife said she thinks the woman was the wife of a coach from one of the schools. She said the ref had gone over to try to shut her up at some point.

Anyway, my son's turn comes up to compete against one of her husband's students. My wife goes out to the mat as a spectator so she can video the match. I **** you not....this is what the woman yells at the kid so everyone, including my son can hear. "Don't worry! You've got this! Look, he doesn't even have a coach. He's just got his MOMMY!!!"

Buy your son a beer on me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2013 4:37am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dude can do a lot worse than having his mom in his corner.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast