Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 7:22pm

Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karatedo Doshinkan

http://mmaunderground.info/

If you ever need an example for a MMA McDojo, there is one. There is so much wrong with this school that I don't know where to begin. I haven't even managed to watch all their fight videos, because it hurts to watch. And not even Kano and Kimura are safe from them.

Anyway, they reason I stumbled upon this website was that I did a search for a certain "Isao Ichikawa" who is in their linage too. I. Isao was the founder of Karatedo Doshinkan ( YouTube - www.doshinkan.su ), a Vienna based Karate McDojo which seems to be depressingly successful worldwide. Their teaching program consists of nothing more than super-compliant partner drills and Katas. It would seem that their success is in large parts owed to their targeting of academia. A russian named Igor Kotov seems to have gone rogue and was expelled from the Doshinkan, probably for introducing sparring and competition.

My question is if anybody here has further information or an opinion on Karatedo Doshinkan or an explanation for their success. I can't pin it down, but I have the vibe that something cult-like is going on. But then Karatedo Doshinkan just fits in perfectly with the rest of the MA courses at our university.

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 7:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrapper View Post
    http://mmaunderground.info/
    seems to be depressingly successful worldwide. Their teaching program consists of nothing more than super-compliant partner drills and Katas. It would seem that their success is in large parts owed to their targeting of academia.

You mean the people who are supposed to be smarter than the rest of us and learning how to think critically and logically so they can learn about how the world really works?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 7:52am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Since the year 1647 until today we have not stop making Mixed Martial Arts champions"

Seriously though, how dare they impinge Kano's name! We shall force him to renounce his claims on pain of armbar!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 10:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wrapper View Post
    You know there are alot of Video's of old people doing MA's. But this seriously has to be the worst. The guy in front is so comically over-exaggerated with all his movements he looks like he is auditioning for a role on Barney.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 11:03am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Slight derail warning*

The school is NAGA accredited. I mean look at the strict guidelines for accreditation:

(From NAGA website)
    The criteria to become accredited includes:
    • solid instruction

• proper training facilities

• a strong showing of sportsmanship at NAGA events
    Which roughly translates to "have someone from your school show up at a NAGA event and/or send us an email request".

re: video - I'd like to see the form done full speed. Looks like what some pre-teen ninjer would do in his bedroom.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 11:10am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toyama nutrider.

Fucking yawn.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/06/2011 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    You mean the people who are supposed to be smarter than the rest of us and learning how to think critically and logically so they can learn about how the world really works?
    No, I think he means the place that's full of dumb-ass kids free from parental supervision for the first time in their lives.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2011 11:50am

Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thatís a good question. I canít remember how old they were, but I do remember that the majority was male and that they either were scrawny or overweight which makes the training barechested thing even more ridiculous.

What Iím trying to figure out at the moment is why the likes of Kokert and Ichikawa have nice, shiny training facilities while Gracie Barra resides in a run down, former TKD dojang below street level. But they are opening decent MMA centers right now so things are generally moving in the right direction.

What I do have to give Karatedo however is that they make the crappy Karate courses at our university look halfway decent, which is an accomplishment by itself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2011 12:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kata looks quite similar to Tekki Shodan(shotokan kata) or Tekki Sono Ichi(kyokushin spin to Tekki Shodan). It is not properly executed though. It looks like he does it very slowly and with all the movements exaggerated for learning purposes. It looks beyond retarded to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2011 12:40pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me throw a little critique of the "kata' that they are trying to perfom in the video. It is their variation of Naihanchi/Nihanchi/Tekki. The movements are NOT like those we use with this kata from Japanese, Okinawan, or Korean lineages. It is what I would expect from people who tried to learn it form a book or video and not from an instructor. His posture is completely off(the bending backwards), the footwork/embusen is very robotic(best termI could come up with), his hand techniques are the same way, robotic, but they are also not strong, snappy, or tight. I got this from the first 30 seconds and I had to stop watching, as my brain started hurting and my eyes were burning.

I understand that many here don't like kata and that is fine with me, but after seeing this video I could see why many would think less of kata as a training tool.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast