--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What are warning signs in a school

Hello,

If I have posted this in the wrong place please advise and move me...thanks you.

I am a complete noob. I am looking for a Kali school in Houston and was curious what things I should be on the look out for. I want to know how to make sure the school I join is real and not just taking my money.

I have absolutely no knowledge in Kali at all. In truth I don't really have any knowledge of any martial arts (I took some TWD when I was nine...I don't think that counts).

You guys seem to know what to look out for some this seems to be the place to ask.

Thank you in advance for any advice as I prepare to begin my journey into learning something new (and finally getting some damn exercise in the process).

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Due to a previous spammer invasion, a member's first 5-8 posts have to be approved by a moderator. Now that I have noticed your thread, I will make an effort to approve your subsequent posts.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with FMA in Houston though. I'm not very knowledgeable about that martial art.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Pekiti Tirsia has a presence in Tx, I'm not sure where but they're always a safe bet for training. Any group you find I'd look at the experienced guys if they have them. The higher levels should be able to do continuous "free flow" style play/drilling in real time speed. If you see advanced guys doing a lot of compliant drills by the numbers, or lots of strike and pause style drills you might not get enough realistic training if that's what you're after. That being said most systems have some sort of patterned foundational drills, I'd just be wary of a class where "advanced" guys spend the majority of the time working very basic drills. Of course one class isn't enough to assess how a group regularly trains. Sparring is a bonus but a lot of groups don't do it, FMA sparring can vary widely in definition. Some groups have a serious lust for "the deadly" and overlook basic practical techniques like punching and grappling that can be safely trained with resistance.

If you don't get the answers you need here check the FMA specific forums. And if you're ever near Orlando look me up!
    Last edited by jspeedy; 3/26/2015 9:18am at .

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *double post

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were in Houston, I'd look up the Houston Stickfighting Association ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/62887026099/ ) and ask them about kali in the area.