Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 10:16pm

Style: Cage Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pro Fighter Backyard Boxing (Vid)

I'm trying to be the next Jorge Masvidal -- compete professionally and do a little backyard boxing on the side!

Well, okay, maybe not but I did partake in a little of that silliness the other night. I was heading over to one of my teammates' house to watch the Glory event on his DVR and I came across a group of guys walking around with boxing gloves. It looked like something interesting might go down. I met up with my friends and told them I thought there'd be some backyard boxing going on and that I wanted to check it out. For the lulz.

So we head up there and I see some people boxing, so I ask if I could get in on it. They didn't really speak much English so I had my friends translate for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6qen2a8gm...p4?n=222115607

It was fun to just screw around, especially with people who can't really hurt you. Though I will say, striking in low light conditions is a **** show; I couldn't see ****! Ate a few punches I really ought not to have.

Sorry there's no epic knockouts or anything. The dude who wanted to go hard quit after a body shot and the other guy requested I take it light. Still kinda funny though.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    The dude who wanted to go hard quit after a body shot and the other guy requested I take it light.
    LOL. At least he was capable of learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 7:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In before the first street vs sport argument...

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 8:56am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's fucking hilarious. I'm pretty sure you're confused by the meaning of the word backyard, though.

I think the phrase you're looking for is middle of the street boxing.

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 3:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy i use to train with tried that stunt with eli madigan once.

Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 5:32pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You look vicious even when you're not trying. Damn.

Strike, how big was the jump from amateur to professional? Cause you made that look too easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 11:40pm

Style: Cage Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    In before the first street vs sport argument...
    In sport, there's ropes so you can cut someone off so they can't back up forever. In the (literal) street, people can just backpedal almost forever so it can hard to land. But I guess thats what leg kicks are for.

Also, there are lights in sports. I was really perturbed by how many times I got hit -- a lot of which was because I couldn't see fast-moving objects (or fists) in the dark. With the gloves, it didn't hurt, but some of those punches would've been unpleasant if it were bare knuckle. Obviously I wouldn't dick around with my hands down so much in a real fight, but still, they say the punch that hurts you the most is the one you don't see. And at night, there seem to be a lot more of those...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    That's fucking hilarious. I'm pretty sure you're confused by the meaning of the word backyard, though.

I think the phrase you're looking for is middle of the street boxing.
    Yeah, I suppose that would be more appropriate. Good call, good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    You look vicious even when you're not trying. Damn.

Strike, how big was the jump from amateur to professional? Cause you made that look too easy.
    I think that it would depend on what sport you're doing and where you're from. In Boxing, the jump is pretty freaking big. In MMA -- at least in New England -- its not as drastic. Though this is less the case nowadays, since the amateur scene is growing, people used to jump into the pro leagues after like 3-4 fights. As such, a lot of the pros were pretty meh. Even now, a lot of good amateurs make VERY successful jumps into the professional leagues around here.

Although, I can think of a few weird cases where excellent amateurs became shitty pros and mediocre amateurs became stars...

In other places, though, where amateurs average 10 or so fights before making the jump, I'm sure that the difference between pro and ammy is bigger.
    Last edited by strikistanian; 10/21/2013 11:43pm at .