Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/19/2013 8:54am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    From my POV, this ^^^ is good Capoeira; maybe it's just the practitioner, but I like it and believe it is an example of good physical training.
    It's good capo, but the film editing takes a lot out of it in terms of the practitioner's ability to flow from movement to movement, and to move in unusual fashion.

Here's one of my faves for solo work:

And in the roda:

And things get heated during a batizado:

Forgot to mention, my son surprised a few people out in school the other day by being able to perform a one-handed cartwheel. "I don't know why they were freaking out," he said. "It's when I do it on my fingertips that it gets tough."
    Last edited by Chili Pepper; 10/19/2013 9:06am at . Reason: Forgot something

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 3:18am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll still take Capoeira over Ninjutsu or Silat any day of the week.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 7:57am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles123 View Post
    What are your opinions on Capoeria? Is it viable for use in self-defense/street combat, or in the ring (kickboxing/MMA)?
    I have a friend that did and still practice Capoera, he also trains with us on a semi regular basis. It is generally ****, but, anything that surprises your opponent can't be all bad, some of those kicks can hurt, (hard to execute) especially because the dude suddenly bends over and touches the ground your eyes will follow his head, and when they do, a kick can come from this weird angle and get you.
    So the element of surprise can play in your favor, but you have to be very very good in capoera, and also in other MA for you to be able to capitalize in the right moment of the fight a capoera kick.
    Your time will be better spent in an olympic weight lifting gym perfecting the snatch, or a crossfit gym.

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 8:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    One benefit to capoeira is the development of the stability of the whole body. Take something like helping a friend move into/out of the second floor of an old house: you'll be taking the stairs, there are awkward corners, and you'll be lifting awkwardly-shaped weights.

So much of capoeira involves moving with control, through unbalanced, unstable positions, with a huge range of motion.

I'm really getting into this guy's (Ido Portal) stuff:

Seemed like a Guro type at first, but he know what he is talking about...Do you know where he is located?

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 8:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Seemed like a Guro type at first, but he know what he is talking about...Do you know where he is located?
    I believe he's originally from Israel, but no idea where he's based now. He does workshops in various places.

http://www.idoportal.com

Yeah, he perhaps comes off as a little "guru-ish", but I like what he has to say: "We move. A lot. We are designed to do so - hence we are in this amazing body. I don't mean 'training' for 45 minutes three times a week - I mean A LOT. Heck, 100 years ago just to have a drink of water was a workout."

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 9:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes he is from here, i think TLV. And he makes a lot of sense . I donno how much he charges people for his admixture of Yoga, pilatise, gymnastic and capoera...but if he is affordable than he is as good a workout as any...(Though only if you are already fit and able IMO). I've looked him up on facebook and saw that a friend of mine that trains Boxing with me knows him. This friend of mine is now into this hard, from power lifting he transferred to crossfit, and this whole **** you see "Ido" do.
    We actually do a lot of the exercises he teaches there.
    my Boxing coach is this old school Russian, and they used to school in those big sports center/Academies, so his knowledge of basic gymnastic is great, and in our crossfit classes there is a lot of this weirdness going on, it is hard as ****!! I hate it.
    For example, every now and again we would run on our hands and feet like monkeys or jump in a squat position backwards and to the side, all sorts of sporadic weird and uncomfortable stuff that really exerts your body.
    Last edited by erezb; 10/23/2013 9:05am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 3:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to know from the practitioners and expractitioners of Capoeira:

- How do you build the balance, strength and agility in newcomers that lack all those?

I'm a non-flexible klutz (6'1 feet, 205 pounds) scared of one day trying capoeira for fear of bashing my teeth in the first day of class.

Posted On:
    10/23/2013 5:56pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    - How do you build the balance, strength and agility in newcomers that lack all those?
    It's all incremental. For instance, to build up to doing a hand stand, you start by taking a step forward, putting both palms on the floor, and hop up a little with one foot going up. Foot comes down, take another step and keep repeating.

Over time, you'll go a little higher, and with more air-time, until eventually you've got the strength and the body awareness to manoeuver properly.

There's a backflip called macaco that took me forever to do, even though I had the necessary strength and balance, because I couldn't shed the inhibition of falling backwards. I was eventually shown a cheat, where you watch your hand travel up and over, and essentially follow it.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/24/2013 2:14am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be very interested in trying to get some data analysis on the success rate of the capoeira-style spin hook kick with the hands on the ground vs the more traditional karate/tkd spin hook kick.
    From just dicking around, the capo version is a whole lot easier to execute, but I've never actually tried throwing them in sparring/fights.
    ****. Looks like I might have to start doing real martial arts again.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 12:22am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    I would like to know from the practitioners and expractitioners of Capoeira:

I'm a non-flexible klutz (6'1 feet, 205 pounds) scared of one day trying capoeira for fear of bashing my teeth in the first day of class.
    Short answer angola.

Last edited by gregaquaman; 10/25/2013 12:31am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast