Hell yeah! Hell no!

Average Man's Body

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...s-body/280194/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USA-Frontmanmain.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	15493

Todd is the most typical of American men. His proportions are based on averages from CDC anthropometric data. As a U.S. male age 30 to 39, his body mass index (BMI) is 29; just one shy of the medical definition of obese. At five-feet-nine-inches tall, his waist is 39 inches.Don't let the hyperrealistic toes fool you; Todd is an avatar. I gave Todd his name, and gave his life a narrative arc, but he is actually the child of graphic artist Nickolay Lamm as part of his Body Measurement Project.
    Todd would prefer perfection—or at least something superlative, even if it's bad—to being average. But Todd is perfect only in being average. With this perfection comes the privilege of radical singularity, which is visible in his eyes.
    Though in his face this reads lonesome, Todd does have three international guyfriends. They met at a convention for people with perfectly average bodies, where each won the award for most average body in their respective country: U.S., Japan, Netherlands, and France. The others' BMIs, based on data from each country's national health centers, are 23.7, 25.2, and 25.6.
    I named them all Todd, actually, even though it could be confusing, because not everyone's name is a testament to their cultural heritage.
    This is how Lamm made the Todds. It's also what zombie Todds look like.
    And here are Todds from the right.
    Most people look better from their left, but Lamm rendered the Todds from their right, just because he can. To these men, Nickolay is God.
    Avatars of various ethnicities are important, because obesity depends on culture and genetics. The weight of everyone's destiny may be equal, but some countries are fat, and others are not. The World Health Organization cares about that, because understanding the differences should help to explicate causes.
    (World Health Organization; based on 2008 data)[hr][/hr]So does history. Fifty years ago, American Todd would not have been round. The trend is not unique to men, either; Lamm just chose to work with white male renderings. The same CDC data puts the female BMI in this age group at 28.7.
    [h=U.S. Obesity, National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, 1960-2000]3[/h][hr][/hr][h=Related Story]4[/h]
    What We Eat Affects Everything
    Americans are also losing ground in height. For most of two centuries, until 60 years ago, the U.S. population was the tallest in the world. Now the average American man is three inches shorter than the Dutch man, who averages six feet. Japanese averages are also gaining on Americans'. Anthropologists tie these recent changes primarily to diet and lifestyle, as we've turned habitable wilderness into excess.
    (All images by Nickolay Lamm)George Maat, a professor emeritus of anthropology at Leiden University Medical Center in the Netherlands, has said that within another 50 years, the Dutch Todd could be six-foot-three. Several years ago the Netherlands was compelled to increase building code standards for door frames. If in the last half-century the American physical form has been expelled from international imagination as an ideal, we might presently look at the situation not just as failure, but with optimism for what we might become.

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 9:34pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes ! I have Bigger arms than both! Bigger belly than netherlands but smaller than american! Less hair than both ;( but bigger weener than both :) and less brains than both for posting on thios STOOPID thread!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 9:40pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand twice to cast a shadow.

American anomaly.

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 9:47pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dam! I remember the day when a dime bag cost a dime! and this thread would have had 1000 post by now!

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 10:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, this study is the biggest load of bullshit I've heard in awhile. I'm currently on a campaign to abolish the BMI all together. You should see the additional bullshit they are doing to our children.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 10:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first clicked on this thread, there was an ad at the top of the page for a "mini gastric bypass." Coincidence?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 10:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    When I first clicked on this thread, there was an ad at the top of the page for a "mini gastric bypass." Coincidence?
    Google.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2013 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a bigger beard then all of them! Bam!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.