Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2013 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,WT,Escrima

Hell yeah! Hell no!

1 Year of BJJ

Hello,Bullshido.decided it was time to come here and relate my progress into this whole jits thing.

So over one year since i started,and i find Im still hanging in there.

Eearned my first two stripes to my white belt courtesy of Professor Helio Perdigão,from Royce Gracie academy,Portugal.

Every time i show up to train im reminded that im growing older(34),slower and weaker as i roll with guys almost half my age who keep getting faster,stronger and fitter. It doesnt help i spend 12+ hours a day grinding in front of a computer and often dont get as much rest\sleep as i ought to. Given the option,i still pick going to class over grabbing a few hours in the couch.

Because as much as i keep sucking compared to them,im at a all time best compared to myself prior to this. I have managed to belt out push-up numbers i have never come close to before (70 reps) and my cardio and energy have improved dramatically.Hell,i think im even seeing something that might be my abs,it might be a really odd distribution of gut,dont quote me on that.

Not to say there havent been days where that voice at the back of your head keeps whispering «what are you doing here,man?is this your mid-life crisis?do you understand how ridiculous you are?» You roll,you tap out,and that can sting,because lets be honest,nobody likes losing. It hasnt gotten to the point where i stopped showing up.

I like my Instructor,who also happens to be a friend of many years,also rescued from the Chunnery.whereas i gave up bitterly on training martial arts,he gravitated towards Muay Thai and the Jits,and settled on the latter.

I like my class,we are a small group,half a dozen regulars,younger students the late teens, older students in their mid twenties. I dont think most of us would even talk to each other if we werent there,but we get along. Nobody acts like an asshole,and its a complete 180 from the passive-agressiveness and petty politics i saw emerge in my Chun days.

Theres no hollow formalities,and the laughter is genuine when it comes.People actually try to help each other out,and thats a big part of what makes the crappy days less crappy.

Id point out i feel their enthusiasm for BJJ feels heavy handed.maybe its because im just growing too jaded towards everything,compared to when i was their age,or maybe i just dont feel that attuned to the art as i did to say,Escrima.Its fun,and i am very thankfull for the benefits ive reaped,but I dont feel its a «calling» as some of the other students feel about it.That said,im not planning to quit anytime soon.

That said,thank you fuckers for pointing me in the right direction.Being a passable student in an alive art beats deceiving yourself in a static one,or doing nothing.

"You tell them a lie,and when you dont need it anymore you tell them another lie and tell them they´re progressing along the road to wisdom.Then instead of laughing they follow you even more,hoping at the heart of all the lies they´ll find the truth.And bit by by they accept the unnaceptable."
    Terry Pratchett

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2013 5:29pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on your stripes!

I get what you mean about a diverse class, and about not feeling "the calling". I'm a BJJ noob (a handful of lessons more than a year ago, forced out of the gym by a serious neck injury, recently returned to regular training) and I do feel "at home" in the art. I suck, completely, but I love every minute of it. I train some stand up stuff too and I have fun, and it's a great work out, but I don't have the same passion for it.

Don't let your age get you down. You might feel like you're slowing down, but look at your non-gym going friends. Almost every person I socialize with these days either does a martial art or bodybuilding, and it's easy to get a skewed idea of what people are like at various ages. I met up with some college friends recently, and it was amazing how unfit and generally tired they were. I'm only in my early 30s, seeing them made my glad I'd stayed active most of my life.

There's a guy at my BJJ club who is a purple belt in his late 40s. He rolls with vigour every lesson and is strong, pretty fast and flexible. I gather he started late in life, and it sounds like you're on your way to being just like him. Good luck with your training!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 2:20pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 35 and once thought the same way as you did when it came to the age thing OP when I started last December myself. While I go roll and have fun I hear my friends all the time say "I need to go workout" or "I really need to go do something" as they grow more girth while sitting on the couch. I tried to invite them to give it a chance but got nothing but excuses. Keep it up OP.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 2:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by etali View Post
    Congratulations on your stripes!

Don't let your age get you down. You might feel like you're slowing down, but look at your non-gym going friends. Almost every person I socialize with these days either does a martial art or bodybuilding, and it's easy to get a skewed idea of what people are like at various ages. I met up with some college friends recently, and it was amazing how unfit and generally tired they were. I'm only in my early 30s, seeing them made my glad I'd stayed active most of my life.

There's a guy at my BJJ club who is a purple belt in his late 40s. He rolls with vigour every lesson and is strong, pretty fast and flexible. I gather he started late in life, and it sounds like you're on your way to being just like him. Good luck with your training!

MA is the elixir of youth. I started practicing MA at 21, and started BJJ in my forties. I rolled 2-3 times a week til I was 49 and I still do it occassionaly, often with my son. At 60, I currently train in karate 3 days a week, and do an occassional Aikido class. When I meet up with my college friends, I'm amazed to find that some of them have trouble bending over or getting up out of their chairs. They're obese, diabetic, and in need of hip replacements. No doubt someday my body will begin to fall apart too, but I'm definitely getting more mileage out of it because of regular MA practice. Stick with it, and since you're not a pro, don't worry for a minute about how you may stack up against other people -- its the journey that counts, not the destination.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,WT,Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the words of encouragement.I plan to stick with it for as long as i can.Just came back from class,I thought i wasnt going to make it until the end of conditioning,nevermind rolling.

The difficulty curve and expectations keep rising,and somehow i feel the gap between me and the other students will just keep increasing. I know logically im not supposed to compare myself to younger fitter guys ,but you also keep thinking that at some point you are just going to fall too far behind .Pride messing with me i suppose...

My instructor says its all about who keeps enduring and sticking with the art,whereas a lot of apparently promissig people quit along the way.Guess there is only one way to find out.
    "You tell them a lie,and when you dont need it anymore you tell them another lie and tell them they´re progressing along the road to wisdom.Then instead of laughing they follow you even more,hoping at the heart of all the lies they´ll find the truth.And bit by by they accept the unnaceptable."
    Terry Pratchett

Posted On:
    10/18/2013 7:34am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep it up, gramps.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.