Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2013 6:31am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

More dynamic head movement.

Note: This is probably not advanced, feel free to move it if necessary.
    -------
    I've noticed I've been having trouble with head movement. For me, moving my head around is not as swift or instinctive as I'd like it to be and I tend to waste too much time and motion trying to slip or block incoming attacks with my arms.

Anything I can do to help improve my head movement?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2013 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you put time in, it becomes easier to react to your opponent's shift in posture, foot movement and the myriad of things leading up to a fist hitting your face. You're not necessarily reading his/her movement, yet reacting from experience and muscle memory.

Are you loose or tense? You can't react quickly unless you're relaxed.

I expect this to be moved from the advanced striking technique section shortly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2013 11:30pm

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe the best way to learn is in sparring, also when shadow boxing.
    Maybe try slipping just the jab. Practice in the mirror and like hungry Joe said... stay loose so you can be lightning quick. (don't leave your head and neck too loose or it may just leave your body when they do connect.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 12:34am

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    As you put time in, it becomes easier to react to your opponent's shift in posture, foot movement and the myriad of things leading up to a fist hitting your face. You're not necessarily reading his/her movement, yet reacting from experience and muscle memory. Are you loose or tense? You can't react quickly unless you're relaxed. I expect this to be moved from the advanced striking technique section shortly.
    I'm a bit tense, which probably slows my reactions down. I've been working on my breathing, relaxation and focus however.

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 3:48am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I'm far from an "advanced" striker, but head movement is one of my biggest problems and its something my coach has been working me on mercilessly lately.

One of the things we do, which seems to have really worked for me, is a limited form of sparring where the guy practicing the head movement/evasion wears headgear and a mouthpiece and just does his best to evade while the "attacker" tries to hit him in the head (obviously not full-contact). We do this either toe-to toe (both partners have their lead feet inside a tyre) or using footwork, though this can lead to just running away, so someone needs to be watching the drill and reminding you to remain engaged.

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 7:27am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try point sparring with no hand defense only body and head movement, either toe to toe or with free range. This will make you learn to move your head after you throw a punch. Left hand sparring is also great, for everything.
    And some people tie a tennis ball to a string from their head and punch it, when they miss it comes flying toward the head..that will also teach you to move it.
    Finally, work the double end bag as much as possible and drill movement. You punch, it comes back you bob to one side, than the other, than punch etc.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 9:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just letting you know you need to have a good stance even while sparring in order to move your head effectively. And its not just the head, its really your whole body.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2014 4:48pm

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Just letting you know you need to have a good stance even while sparring in order to move your head effectively. And its not just the head, its really your whole body.
    Especially if u want to counter

Posted On:
    11/03/2014 10:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of head movement is prearranged. So you roll as part of your combination rather than try to pick every single punch coming at you. It is about moving out of the pocket.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    11/29/2014 6:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gleason's Gm MT Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    Note: This is probably not advanced, feel free to move it if necessary.
    -------
    I've noticed I've been having trouble with head movement. For me, moving my head around is not as swift or instinctive as I'd like it to be and I tend to waste too much time and motion trying to slip or block incoming attacks with my arms.

Anything I can do to help improve my head movement?
    Slip ball drilling. Glove at the end of a broom stick slip drill, More slipping pad work. This is all for developing your bodies ability to do the motion effeciently and effectively. To do it in a fight is to constantly attempt it in sparring until you push the motion into your instinctive reaction. Good luck.