Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 9:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

best cardio machine?

This article on a news website quotes "experts" saying that the rowing machine is the best cardio machine, because it targets your core muscles and you burn more calories that on a treadmill, etc.

http://www.wtop.com/267/3481319/An-o...ack-at-the-gym

I've always heard that the treadmill, stairmaster, and elliptical trainer burn more calories than the bike or rower, because you are supporting your bodyweight. They don't engage the core as much, but that sounds like it goes more to muscular conditioning than cardio. I sure feel like I get a better cardio workout on a stairmaster than a rower, but maybe I'm not rowing hard enough. Any thoughts on this?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 12:41pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear the Earth is a pretty good cardio machine.

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 1:01pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They claim over 500 kCal/hour burn because you "use your whole body". I burn roughly 900 kCal/hour running at a pretty conservative estimate of 80 kCal/km. It's weight-dependant but even a 120 lb woman can burn well over 500 kCal/hour running assuming a decent pace (5;30/km).

Ergs are a killer whole-body workout for sure though.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 1:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I hear the Earth is a pretty good cardio machine.
    I'd agree that running is a good, easy, cheap cardio workout. I used to do it long ago. Problem is, nowadays I got only half a meniscus in my right knee thanks to a krotty injury, and can't take the pounding (same goes for jumping rope). So I need to use a machine that's low impact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 1:40pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to me that pretty much all the information in this article comes from the two trainers they interviewed. This is less of a news story than glorified summary of two guys' opinions.

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 2:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wikipedia has an entry under vo2 max. Look it up. (I can't post links).

Rowing and cross-country skiing produce athletes capable of amazing cardio outputs. If you think erging isn't an integral part of of a rower's workout, you would be gravely mistaken.

"New Zealand sculler Rob Waddell has one of the highest absolute VO2 max levels ever tested"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 3:48pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like rowers for their full-body use, large range of motion, and the fact that they kick my ass.

Overall though, cardio tends to be "who gives a ****, jump rope or something, as long as you do something". Except ellipticals... they are dumb (because they force a particular movement pattern that can be hard on joints... or so I hear).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2013 9:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I like rowers for their full-body use, large range of motion, and the fact that they kick my ass.

Overall though, cardio tends to be "who gives a ****, jump rope or something, as long as you do something". Except ellipticals... they are dumb (because they force a particular movement pattern that can be hard on joints... or so I hear).
    I think it depends on the machine. In my gym we have some ellipticals that are comfortable, and we have some where the up and down movement is so exaggerated that I can see how they could damage your joints. The same is true of some stairclimbers I've tried, which don't allow you to decide the height of the steps you take.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mountain biking is a pretty good workout and lots of fun.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 6:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    This article on a news website quotes "experts" saying that the rowing machine is the best cardio machine, because it targets your core muscles and you burn more calories that on a treadmill, etc.

http://www.wtop.com/267/3481319/An-o...ack-at-the-gym

I've always heard that the treadmill, stairmaster, and elliptical trainer burn more calories than the bike or rower, because you are supporting your bodyweight. They don't engage the core as much, but that sounds like it goes more to muscular conditioning than cardio. I sure feel like I get a better cardio workout on a stairmaster than a rower, but maybe I'm not rowing hard enough. Any thoughts on this?
    Using an air fan type rower:

Set the rower on its highest resistance level. Row a 5k as fast as you can. A good first goal to set is sub 20 minutes.

Report back when you've tried this.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast