Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're all a bunch of LARPers

People who dress up as elves and sorcerers and chant magical spells at each other LARP; on this, I think there is no dissent. Common use of the term however, is hardly restricted to the colourful, fanciful playtime activities of eccentric nerds. For instance, it is not unusual to call "ninjas" LARPers, nor do historical re-enactment enthusiasts evade such classification. As far as I can discern, anyone anywhere who does something incongruous with what is viewed as within the limits of their identity is compatible with LARPing classification.

I argue that this is a case where a perjorative term has simply lost its original meaning. At face value everyone is well, alive, and doing things right now. They're also assuming roles to play, and yet nobody calls a Muay Thai kickboxer a LARPer, nor would they a BJJ player or a person sitting in an antique chair drinking an old-fashioned cocktail. People just really think ridiculous things should be ridiculed, but they're lazy so they reach for the nearest throwable object.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	larp%282%29.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	15476  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 8:26pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm... what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you're right. I usually somehow stop myself.

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do HEMA and I would definitely consider my practice larping, especially since I never plan to use it for anything more than entertainment. Same with my karate, sure I suppose it might be usefull for something, but I only practice for fun. Is that your point??

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 10:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you need the two, possibly three, threads where I pissed off two posters by arguing that larp has morphed?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I do HEMA and I would definitely consider my practice larping, especially since I never plan to use it for anything more than entertainment. Same with my karate, sure I suppose it might be usefull for something, but I only practice for fun. Is that your point??
    I think there is more to LARPing than that. I think the "RP" in the term implies pretending to be something that you aren't. We call LARP when we see martial artists clinging to unproven fantasies of combat efficacy, historical lineage, or supernatural phenomena. Training karate because it's fun doesn't make you a LARPer; believing that your training makes you a deadly fighter or an enlightened Zen master is what makes you a LARPer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 10:38pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I think there is more to LARPing than that. I think the "RP" in the term implies pretending to be something that you aren't. We call LARP when we see martial artists clinging to unproven fantasies of combat efficacy, historical lineage, or supernatural phenomena. Training karate because it's fun doesn't make you a LARPer; believing that your training makes you a deadly fighter or an enlightened Zen master is what makes you a LARPer.
    I'm not 100% sure what the OP is asking, but I do agree with Owlmatt's statement...I would consider LARPing in a MA context to be buying into the fantasy (I can knock you over with my Chi!) ...I guess this is different from the original LARP meaning...reenactors and such know they are just pretending...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 10:49pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thread of the year contender.
    King without a crown

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Do you need the two, possibly three, threads where I pissed off two posters by arguing that larp has morphed?
    LARP has morphed; that goes without saying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 11:48pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what the OP is asking, but I do agree with Owlmatt's statement...I would consider LARPing in a MA context to be buying into the fantasy (I can knock you over with my Chi!) ...I guess this is different from the original LARP meaning...reenactors and such know they are just pretending...
    I confess that I have absolutely no idea what OP is asking.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast