Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 3:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MT, Judo, Capoeira, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choy Li Fut?

"Choy Li Fut is the most effective system that I've seen for fighting more than one person. [It] is one of the most difficult styles to attack and defend against. Choy Li Fut is the only style [of kung fu] that traveled to Thailand to fight the Thai boxers and hadn't lost." –Bruce Lee

For some reason, I find myself doubting that Bruce Lee actually said that. He never really spoke in absolutes like that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was fabricated by the morbidly obese 14-year old loser who probably wrote the Wiki article.

Maybe he's talking about Choy Li Fut practitioners who went to Thailand and then started adopting pseudo-Muay Thai techniques (Sanshou)? Even then, I seriously doubt the practicality of anything that relies too heavily upon Chinese techniques. And in the end it doesn't matter because it's undocumented as far as I know.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 4:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um yeah, Bruce Lee never said that. If anything he would have spoken in direct contrast of those remarks.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, don't think Bruce ever said that. If you look at his writings, he has technical notes and drawings on the styles he liked to draw from. Never saw a single reference to choy li fut or any of its techniques. Given his preference for straight lines and directness, as well as outspoken martial arts critiques, I doubt he'd be gushing over the art of Chinese haymaker katas.

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 10:21pm

Style: Bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pepper spray would be more effective than Choy li fut in a multiple attacker scenerio! ..........cheaper too!