Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/13/2013 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, explain to me why people buy commercial hummers instead of real hummers?

Just a thought that's been bouncing around in my head for a little while. I think it's more in my mind right now because I'm in Micronesia with very steep hills, lots of mud, and plenty of perilous unimproved roads and enormous potholes that could probably destroy a sedan moving over them at speed.

Why do people pay lots of money for a civilian consumerist hummer that's actually just a suburban instead of making the effort of trying to buy a real hummer?

Without being too serious about researching it, I read on Wikipedia that the unit replacement cost for a real hummer without armor plating is $60,000, which seems to be in the ballpark price range for a high end luxury vehicle anyway.

Looking at a real hummer and how beefy the suspensions and axels and so on seem to be, it looks like the one vehicle that could last your family for generations if you took care of it, plus unlike many of the SUVs on the market, it is also a legitimate off road vehicle you can use for rural camping and the like to get far off the beaten path.

So, I'm kind of like, why would someone buy a frivolously luxurious off road vehicle instead of getting something like that?

To take it one step further, even if for some reason no one is allowed (or whatever) to purchase a hummer per se, a person might purchase another broadly similar vehicle designed for military use and probably enjoy much the same benefit, so the broader question still stands even if you can't get a Humvee per se. For example as I understand it Toyota makes a "Toyota Mega Cruiser" which is their response to the hummer, and which is intended for military use, but which is also planned to roll out in some quantities to the civilian market.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2013 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Why do people pay lots of money for a civilian consumerist hummer that's actually just a suburban instead of making the effort of trying to buy a real hummer?
    People spending 60k on a vehicle don't actually want a Spartan off-road survival vehicle, they want to look rich when they hand the keys to the valet.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    10/13/2013 10:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    People spending 60k on a vehicle don't actually want a Spartan off-road survival vehicle, they want to look rich when they hand the keys to the valet.
    That and the humvee is far from being a good day to day road going vechile.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/13/2013 11:01pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real Hummers are badass. I wouldn't own a civilian model. Real Humvees are crazy uncomfortable though. They're also slow and fairly high maintenance. If you've got a serious need for regular offroad use it would be great. Otherwise it would just be a cool, but impractical toy.

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 1:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to mention out of production for civilian use

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 4:52am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The military type are very wide, good luck parking that ****, the civilian one is cushioned and comfortable, though it sends a vibe that the owner is a douche.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too much time and effort convincing your partner to give you one. Hookers come cheaper and have more experience. Plus, you can kill them to get your money back (You could also kill your girlfriend afterwards, actually, but you won't get the same refund. There's also probably people in the world who care about her, so that could bring you some problems).

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 5:48am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have to kill the hooker to get your money back..pff, that can attract attention after a few times. You can just beat the **** out of her, and take what cash she has..hell if you do it good enough and you own a hummer, you can make a living out of it..

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same type of question about trucks...

Why would anyone buy a truck (as a personal vehicle) that isn't 4-wheel drive? I recently bought a Toyota Tacoma and the sales guy I was talking to couldn't understand why 4-wheel drive was a necessity to me as I told him I didn't go a lot of off-roading.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a guy that lives by me who drives a Pinzgauer. If I was a rich asshole, that's what I'd get instead of a Hummer.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast