Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 9:56am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Throwing stuff at people

I had an eskrima teacher a while back who used to do this demo whenever he did seminars for cops, etc...

He would put the cop on the other side of the mat and give him a rubber gun to tuck into his belt. Then he grabbed a rubber knife and told the cop to draw and say "bang" before he got stabbed. The trick was, he had two more rubber knives tucked in his belt, so he threw the first two at the cop while slowly jogging in, and then easily stabbed him with the third before he could draw.

I believe the intended lesson was "watch out for guys with three knives, because they might throw two of them" or something specific and literal like that, but it got me thinking. Even though the participant's life was not in danger from these flying pieces of rubber, his brain was too busy tracking their path to move on to the next step and draw his weapon... and it's debatable if the guy even knew the thing flying at him was a pretend knife.

I've also see magicians say things like sweeping out a parabolic path with your hands is great for misdirection because the brain tracks the hand.

So the hypothesis I have from this is that throwing **** at people gets them to concentrate on the thing flying at them instead of you. Seems like a great way to buy some time to get up close or get the hell away from someone.

So here's my question: does anyone train with/for anything like this, or have some experience to share? Does it hold up in a real stressful situation? Should I sleep with a pile of rocks under my pillow at night?
    Attached Images  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 10:14am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't remember where I heard it specifically. Though I do recall someone once mentioning throwing a set of car keys or what ever else you've got in your hand was a good strategy for defending against a knife attack. Again, same theory, the fellow would be concentrating on the object coming at them, regardless of what it is, trying to avoid it, dodge it or catch it, that it would buy enough time to let you either get in close and take the fellow out or give you an head start for an escape.

New really drilled anything like that in the gym though but honestly seems a sound idea. Think when you throw something at someone, they'll naturally react to it out of instinct. Giving you that half a second to rush the fellow (if you're close enough) or leg it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 11:28am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back when I did JKD we used to practice the "chuck your keys in his face" move pretty regularly. It kinda works even if you know its coming.

Incidentally, my next project is to learn to do proper knife throwing.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even without throwing things (which I think is a great improv tactic), the 21' reactionary-gap is still a place where you will get stabbed before you can fire an incapacitating shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 11:32am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used to do a similar thing in JJJ except we used the "a pocket full of change" scenario. Thankfully I've never had to field test it but getting hit with a coin used to really hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 11:34am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm off to buy some shurikens from the b00j guy. BrB

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 12:04pm

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    I'm off to buy some shurikens from the b00j guy. BrB
    Save your money. Hatsumi says you can be just as deadly with business cards.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 12:27pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or better yet, the ultimate knife defense tactic....

Throwing a trainer is a sound substitute.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 12:44pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    And if you throw your trainer at your attacker how do you GTFO?
    Speed hopping... It's like hopping, but on speed!!!

Feel the burn.

Or alternatively. Beat attacker to death with other trainer. Retrieve trainer, then speed hop your way home.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely helps, can't hurt, unless you throw your keys, and it later becomes advantageous to drive away.

Also, if someone has decided to shoot at you, hold anything handy between you and the shooter while you head for safety. The natural impulse is to look at the target. Since they want to shoot you, and not the briefcase or trash can lid or bag of groceries, he will likely fixate on a non-obscured part of your anatomy, and you will have reduced to size of the target, making his job harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast